• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zabaglione

ksaw29

Adam, thanks for the intriguing historical information. It's great to know we can rely on your knowledge of Medieval cooking for info :smile: .

I wonder if modern day chefs who serve savory zabaglione know of those origins or if they re-invented "caudles" taking inspiration from the sweet version.

History goes round and round.... in the kitchen too.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Most likely not, but I don't think that it really matters. Also the critical thing for the Zabaglione that sets it self apart from other caudle saues is the incorporation of egg whites, so it is a slightly different products.

For instance this 16th century recipe is a sauce for Chicken.

...take the yolkes of syxe egges and a

dyshfull of vergis and drawe them through a

streyner and sette it upon a chafingdyshe,

than drawe youre baken chekins and put ther

to this foresayde egges and vergys and thus

serve them hoate.

Rather then being a savory zabaglione, it is closer to a Greek avgolemono sauce. But yes, very few ideas are originaly, however, it is what you can do with the concept that counts.

• 8 years later...

Has anyone tried the ISI version, using a redi-whip whipper and not cooking?

I tried it yesterday and it was mediocre. More like a regular (albeit boozy) whipped cream. Definitely no substitute for the real thing. Was curious what it might be like if it was heated in the whipper.