• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Azuki beans

spaghetttti

Yetty, one of my favourite simple desserts is served at Hapa Izakaya, a local Japanese restaurant. It's vanilla-bean ice cream, topped with sweet adzuki beans and chunks of senbei (rice cracker). Sounded weird the first time I read the menu description, but the textural combination coupled with the sweet/sour dichotomy is deliciously good.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 4 months later...

i've found that you can use azuki beans in most bean recipes, with an adjustment for their shorter cooking time. sure, they're a little sweeter than some, but it's really a relative thing--they still taste like beans after all. you might not want to do something like a mexican-style refried beans with them, but in most bean soup recipes they do fine.

Hello--reviving this topic. I'm especially interested in hearing about savory recipes using these babies. I've got a bag of them in the kitchen begging to be used. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Add me to the list. I have to admit that I've never tried adzuki beans, but I noticed people talking about them on egullet, and bought a bag when I saw them at the supermarket. But now they keep falling off my ingredient radar, and it would be great to change that!

i've found that you can use azuki beans in most bean recipes, with an adjustment for their shorter cooking time.  sure, they're a little sweeter than some, but it's really a relative thing--they still taste like beans after all.  you might not want to do something like a mexican-style refried beans with them, but in most bean soup recipes they do fine.

Yeah, I figured I could always just sub them for any other beans. But ... well, I guess I should clarify that I'm looking for savory recipes that work especially well with adzuki beans' unique properties and flavor profile--not necessarily traditional Asian recipes, but those would be really cool too.