• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Simpsons & Sociology

Chef Bourdain, I appreciate and have been educated by your comments on this board.  I have two questions:

1) Why, in your opinion, was the general public so ready for the gritty and more-often-than-not-disturbing-but-wildly-real approach you took in both KC and ACT?  These were books that alternated abusing and  the reader with the fine details of food preparation and consumption in this country and around the world; was it the confessional culture that we've become that made us crave this "abuse" ("yes, *sob sob* I admit, I ate the bacon and look where it came from!"), or was it just a more globalized and enlightened food culture here that has brought us to want to learn more?

2) Why do the Simpsons rock so hard?  Is it the only TV show worth watching anymore?

Thanks!

I truly have no idea why KC did so well. I hoped/expected it to do well with cooks in the tri-state area, was shooting for a cult success with the line-dog/tormented loner set--at best. Believe me--it came as a big surprise. 17 languages and counting..Who knew?

As far as the Simpsons. Far and away the smartest funniest thing on television--and the font of all truth and wisdom.

abourdain

NICE!  Or a Simpsons-style spoof cookoff between Emeril, Bobby Flay, Wolfgang Puck, and Mario Batali, and at the last minute Tony rides up in a motorcycle, fist-cleans a pig and throws it on a spit, wins the cookoff and Lisa's too awe-struck to complain.

Somebody get Matt Groening on the phone . . .