• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Awesome Haupia Pudding Recipe, Anyone?

tekna

I had a friend from Hawaii who taught me to make this and I enjoyed it:

1 cup of coconut milk ... canned is okay, I think ...

1 1/2 cups of milk ... whole milk necessary

6 Tbsp. white sugar

6 Tbsp. cornstarch

a pinch of salt

Put all of these ingredients in saucepan... then cook over medium heat until thickened.

Stir frequently.

Don't let this burn!

Pour into, then cool in a buttered pan.

When firm, you can cut into squares.

Enjoy!

Can be served with shaved coconut and/or tropical fruits.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My recipe for Haupia doesn't use dairy milk.

Haupia

Serves 8 (small portions)

6 tablespoons cornstarch

6 tablespoons sugar

1-1/4 cups water

1 14-ounce can coconut milk

Mix cornstarch and sugar together in a saucepan. Add water and stir to dissolve.

Mix in coconut milk. Cook on medium-high heat, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes. When mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium and cook 2 minutes longer, until thickened.

Pour into a mold or an 8" square pan that has been wet with cold water.

Chill to set. Cut into portions to serve.

Variation: Mold in a ring mold. Unmold and fill the center with cubes of tropical fruit.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

HELP!!

I made a haupia pudding a couple days ago but I couldn't get it right. The recipe I had called for

3 cups of coconut milk

6 T cornstarch

6T sugar

It was too soft, more pudding like and had to be eaten with a spoon. :hmmm:

How long should I refrigerate it? I only chilled it for 5 hours, was that too short? Also after putting it in the pan should I cover it? I didn't and it got that film on it.

I want it to look like the picture on Reid's site... :biggrin:

I notice most recipe call for some water and his recipe has a bit more cornstarch. I am using coconut milk as I have no access to fresh coconuts here.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

HELP!!

I made a haupia pudding a couple days ago but I couldn't get it right. The recipe I had called for

3 cups of coconut milk

6 T cornstarch

6T sugar

It was too soft, more pudding like and had to be eaten with a spoon. :hmmm:

How long should I refrigerate it? I only chilled it for 5 hours, was that too short? Also after putting it in the pan should I cover it? I didn't and it got that film on it.

I want it to look like the picture on Reid's site... :biggrin:

I notice most recipe call for some water and his recipe has a bit more cornstarch. I am using coconut milk as I have no access to fresh coconuts here.

Kristin,

On the surface, it sounds like the proportions in my haupia recipe (see above in thread)

6 tablespoons cornstarch

6 tablespoons sugar

1-1/4 cups water

1 14-ounce can coconut milk

but if you used all-coconut-milk and not half-coconut-milk/half-water, it might be the richness/fat in the coconut milk is interfering with setting and making the pudding softer. That would also account for the skin on the top. 5 hours should be long enough for it to set in the refrigerator.

SuzySushi

Suzy,

Thanks! That is what I was thinking, the water will probably make a difference. I noticed the recipe I used was almost the same as yours except for the addition of water.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

This Haupia recipe is so remarkably similar to a Filipino dessert called Maja Blanca - Maja Blanca is a steamed pudding made with cornstarch and coconut cream. Sometimes, whole corn kernels or a can cream of corn is mixed in the cooking process and makes the dessert/puddding more tasty.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if I would have the same problems Kris had - what we can buy here is coconut cream in cans. So for haupia, I should refrigerate it and lift the thicker rich stuff off the top of the can, and use the thinner milk at the bottom?

Buying enough dried shredded coconut to make coconut is not workable here.

I was wondering if I would have the same problems Kris had - what we can buy here is coconut cream in cans. So for haupia, I should refrigerate it and lift the thicker rich stuff off the top of the can, and use the thinner milk at the bottom?

What is the coconut cream? If it's the Coco Lopez stuff meant for pina coladas, it's already sweetened and not usable for haupia at all. If the ingredients are just coconut, water, and a preservative, you can either lift off the top layer of cream or just shake it to mix and use the whole thing (the pudding will be slightly richer).

SuzySushi

I saw that cake recipe too...wonder if it would be even nicer in cupcake molds - fill half the mold with haupia, add a chunk of cake, "enrobe" in more haupia?

SuzySushi, some of our coconut cream is labeled coconut milk, but it's still about 1/3 or more cream/fat. Not sweetened or flavored though.

On reflection, I'm sure that even rich coconut milk would set if I used arrowroot - I remember the women back in New Zealand saying that you had to use arrowroot to make Cook Island poke (which is a baked or steamed dessert, totally unlike Hawaiian poke) if you couldn't get the traditional starch.

Will experiment soon!

Has anybody ever made haupia using pia flour or other tropical starches? Is it gooier and slimey/sticky made with pia? Just curious, since I believe it's a relative of yam.

• 3 weeks later...

Experiments done! I tried making it with cornflour and with Japanese warabi-ko (bracken-root flour). I liked the bracken-root flour version a bit better.

However, I never achieved that blinding whiteness you see in the photos, especially of packaged Haupia mixes. Is there any way to counteract the slight grayness of canned coconut milk/cream?