• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Meal

ariggsby

I have an annual professional conference coming up in Montreal. A couple of friends and I always go out for one big blow-out, no expense spared dinner in whatever city the meeting is in. Hence, two questions about restaurants in Montreal:

1) In general should I be looking for a relatively straight-forward French place or something more modern (like, say, Susur in Toronto)?

2) Any specific recommendations? I looked through some posts already here, and "La Cronique" seemed to come up a lot?

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by ariggsby (log)

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

we don't have anything like Susur but despite what you will read on this board we do have some amazing places you can only find here:

1. Club Chasse et Peche

2. Bronte

3. Joe Beef

4. La Chronique

5. Les Chevres

my advice - blow the expense account on the wines at Club Chasse, great eclectic selection. Food at Bronte is world-class the wine list is weaker but they will be having truffles on the menu if you l ike that

Edited by Vinfidel (log)

If by a place similar to Susar you mean a fusion type restaurant, Anise is a good option. They serve french food with a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean slant. It's a combination fairly unique to Montreal. I also find the service there to be of a very high standard. While the food at, say, Chasse et Peche may be better, I think Anise puts together a more elegant, well rounded elegant dining experience.

Susur is not 'fusion-type' it is a particular sort of extremely precise cooking. I can tell you we have nothing like it and there is not a lot of this in north america.

Anise yes is good but from recent reports has fallen sharply. It is by no means as well expense account dining with their poor wine list. i ate there last new years and i had a very disappointing meal but i do not use that as an example.

what about the lost gems like les remparts and chez queuex and da emma? can someone report on those

For relatively staightforward — though more modern than traditional — French in an elegant and subdued setting, Les caprices de Nicolas should be high on your list. You'll want a table in the Garden Room.

Just checked out Les Caprices' web site. Glad to see they have changed it and are apparently no longer using pictures taken from The French Laundry book!

Andrew- let me add to your confusion. Visited Montreal this past summer with my hubby. Our favorite, favorite meal was Brunoise. Fantastic prix fix meal, outstanding service, and a total bargain to boot. We dined at more flashy (and more expensive) places but Brunoise was hands down the best. Here is their website: www.brunoise.ca

Bon Ap!!!!!