• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steven Shaw at the Regulator

bandregg

I've been remiss in not posting this sooner.

Steven Shaw (a.k.a. "The Fat Guy" of eGullett.com) will discuss his new book, Turning the Tables: Restaurants from the Inside Out. Having spent time touring the dining rooms and kitchens of restaurants high and low, from expensive New York eateries to a North Carolina barbeque joint, Shaw gives readers the low-down on the restaurant business. He also offers his opinions on a variety of restaurant-related issues, from restaurant critics to organic foods.

The Regulator Bookshop on 9th St. in Durham at 7:00p

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I went to listen to Steven talk, and it was very entertaining. The audience was very small, so he really just gave an introduction about how he got into food writing (summary: He was a lawyer, he liked food better), and then we talked a little about upcoming projects and the state of restaurants around the country right now. I asked where he was eating on this trip and in Durham he'd gone to Federal on Varmint's advice and was very pleasantly surpirsed by the food and the effort put into it. For the most part though, he and his family have been eating at chains. He'd never really eaten at places like Outback Steakhouse (poor) or Cheesecake Factory (really good) and wants to understand why the rest of America eats at chains. It's part of a grander book idea. I didn't have the chance to get a book signed and had to take off immediately after the talk, but he's an engaging speaker and it was very pleasant.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I went to listen to Steven talk, and it was very entertaining. The audience was very small, so he really just gave an introduction about how he got into food writing (summary: He was a lawyer, he liked food better), and then we talked a little about upcoming projects and the state of restaurants around the country right now. I asked where he was eating on this trip and in Durham he'd gone to Federal on Varmint's advice and was very pleasantly surpirsed by the food and the effort put into it. For the most part though, he and his family have been eating at chains. He'd never really eaten at places like Outback Steakhouse (poor) or Cheesecake Factory (really good) and wants to understand why the rest of America eats at chains. It's part of a grander book idea. I didn't have the chance to get a book signed and had to take off immediately after the talk, but he's an engaging speaker and it was very pleasant.

He went to the Federal to meet with a local reporter -- he was looking for something casual.

That night he and his wife Ellen (and son, PJ) joined Mrs. Varmint and me at Vin. It was a great meal, and I hope to post a complete report later this week.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites