• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner near PNC Arts Center?

Casey

We're going to a concert at PNC this week, and hoping to find someplace nearby to dine (instead of the usual tailgating!)  We'll be driving down from the Edison area, and ideally would like something on the way down the Parkway or in its vicinity.

Thanks!

Casey

There are several places in Matawan.  The exit off the Parkway is only one exit north of the exit for the PNC.  

My favorite is a very sweet little place called Caspita Cafe.  It's on Route 34 in the Plaza 34 strip mall.  It has a small, varied menu and the food is very tasty.  If you do go there, I would advise leaving yourself plenty of time because the chef does not rush.

There is also Peter's Fishery for very fresh, nicely prepared, nothing terribly fancy fish and seafood.  It's also on 34, at the corner of Main St., in its own free-standing building.  It's very popular and gets crowded, but once you are seated, service is swift.

Then there is Big Ed's BBQ, further south on 34 near Perrine Road.  Technically, this is Old Bridge, but it's too close to Matawan to bother making a distinction.  We only went there once when it first opened several years ago and thought the food was good.  But they permit smoking, so we've never gone again.  I hear the food is still good.

(Caspita and Peter's are totally smoke-free.)

Caspita is one of our favorite restaurants, go about once a month.

Nothing fancy, the dining area is part of a bakery but the owner and servers are hardworking and very nice.

The menu is limited but all appetizers, salads and entrees are excellent.

Has had very good to excellent reviews from the Asbury Park Press, Star Ledger and NJ Monthly.

Tom

Tom D

Caspita is one of our favorite restaurants, go about once a month.

Nothing fancy, the dining area is part of a bakery but the owner and servers are hardworking and very nice.

The menu is limited but all appetizers, salads and entrees are excellent.

Has had very good to excellent reviews from the Asbury Park Press, Star Ledger and NJ Monthly.

They will be closed from July 1-15 for vacation.

Enjoy if you go.

Tom

Tom D

But they permit smoking, so we've never gone again.  I hear the food is still good.

(Caspita and Peter's are totally smoke-free.)

WE stopped at Caspita once, while kinda lost/traffic jammed....there was a bad accident, I was on my way to pick up my kids at my ex-mother-in -laws, and there it was! We have thought of it a few times, figured it was a stroke of luck that we hit upon such a pleasant place..firtst time I have heard mention of it in a while....But quite curious,  do you not go to ANY places that allow smoking?

Kim WB Posted on June 18 2002,20:06

But quite curious,  do you not go to ANY places that allow smoking?

The short answer no.  At this point, there are finally enough decent smoke-free restaurants in NJ, so that we don't have to put up with smoke when we eat out.  Unlike NYC, there are no laws in NJ governing smoking in restaurants, and it's always the first question I ask when I am thinking of trying a new place.  If they permit smoking, it's a no-go, though if there is a bar area where smoking is permitted but the dining room is smoke-free and is totally separate so that no smoke can waft over, I will eat there.  But, at this point, all the restaurants we go to on a regular basis are totally smoke-free.  In NYC, it's much easier; we basically don't go to restaurants with fewer than 35 seats since the law allows smoking in those and few of those are, therefore, smoke-free.  But that still leaves a whole lot of other possibilities.

Can someone share the dress code for Caspita?  We have chosen to go there but, as I mentioned, are going to a concert at the Arts Center immediately afterwards and want to dress comfortably, but appropriately.

Thanks.

Casey

Can someone share the dress code for Caspita?  We have chosen to go there but, as I mentioned, are going to a concert at the Arts Center immediately afterwards and want to dress comfortably, but appropriately.

Thanks.

Casey

Too be honest, I can think of few restaurants in NJ that would have a problem with neat, casual dress (No cutoffs and torn/stained tee shirts please!). About the only one I can think of here off Exit109 is The Fromagerie, if you dont arrive at dinner with a jacket they have a selection of appropriately hideous "Rube Jackets" for you to don...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak