• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going beyond sashimi

torakris

One of my favorite things to do with squid sashimi is to turn it into ika no tsukimi-fuu or squid in the moon viewing style. Moon viewing refers to the egg yolk in the middle.

This one is topped with nori and seasoned soy sauce, I usually use men-tsuyu (noodle dipping sauce) and prefer it with that.

gallery_6134_1960_8305.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

Stop! You're making me hungry again !! (I really need to stop reading the forum just before bed).

One dish I really love is maguro (tuna) cubed, then marinated in wasabi & pesto combined. Leave for 10 mins for flavours to absorb then serve on shredded carrot & baby spinach that's been drizzled with wasabi mayonnaise. (no pic yet, but will take one next time we have it.)

...and we have Kangaroo meat available that's good enough for sashimi/carpaccio but I've never had horse as yet. I plan to, though. :raz:

I've never made sushi or sashimi, but want to give it a go.

There is one thing I'm not clear on though... what is meant by sushi grade tuna? Does it just refer to freshness or is there something more to it (apart from what part of the belly etc)? I have read elsewhere about how tuna should be partially frozen before being made into sashimi to ensure that there are no worms in it. Is this a US regulation or just a suggested step, and is it standard in Japan? Also, does this apply to other fish?

Apologies if this has been covered already in another thread.

Can't remember what its called, but this is a common dish that I first had in Dogen-zaka off Shibuya. Its finely minced tuna atop a bed of shredded lettuce, with an egg yolk on top. Its drizzled with kewpey mayonnaise and soy sauce mixed with dashi, mirin and sake. Thats so yum!

Also, at East Mikuni, a large rectangle of top quality tuna quickly browned on the outside with a blowtorch, then thickly sliced and served with ponzu sauce. Had the chef at the sheraton in Bangkok do the same thing, but it didn't taste nice at all. Hence.....it all boils down to the quality of the fish.

I've never made sushi or sashimi, but want to give it a go. 

There is one thing I'm not clear on though... what is meant by sushi grade tuna? Does it just refer to freshness or is there something more to it (apart from what part of the belly etc)?  I have read elsewhere about how tuna should be partially frozen before being made into sashimi to ensure that there are no worms in it.  Is this a US regulation or just a suggested step, and is it standard in Japan?  Also, does this apply to other fish?

Apologies if this has been covered already in another thread.

Sushi grade tuna (or any other kind of fish) means that it can be eaten raw. If the fish is not sushi grade I wouldn't recommend eating it without cooking. Even in Japan the fish in the supermarket are divided into those that can be eaten raw and those that can't. THe fish meant for raw eating should say on the label either 刺身用 (sashimi you) or 生食用 (nama shoku you). In most stores they are even in completely separate cases.

Most tuna is going to be frozen, much of the catch is caught so far away it must be flash frozen on the boat. There was some talking of parasites and raw fish starting with this post (it starts out about salmon but the discussion leads into other fish :biggrin: )

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks so much for the link torakris, it was a great help. But now I am absolutely aching for some good sashimi and sushi. We don't have any Japanese restaurants to speak of over here, so I'll just have to make my own. I can get very fresh fish from the harbour in Dublin, but think I will still take the precaution of freezing it before I use it. It should also make slicing it much easier for a novice! Wish me luck!