• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I got them last year online from Rising C Ranch.. While not cheap, they are no more exxpensive than their other fruit and of very high quality. Their heirloom navels, cara caras and sicilian blood oranges are particularly good.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Bergamot is a citrus fruit? I had to Google "bergamot" to learn that much - and now I am really curious. Cupcake and docsonz, do you peel it and eat it fresh, or use it in some other manner?

Mmmm, I wonder what Bergamot Marmalade would taste like...? I am going to have to try it for myself, and invent from there. Reading egullet is very educational - should be required eating, er reading. Perhaps then we could base the WASL on the truly important Questions of Life.

i've never had a fresh cara cara either. 

Cara Cara are available at Pike Place Market - Franks and Sosios to start, in season...I asked Frank about Bergamont last year - they don't sell, so they don't stock. Keep asking and it might change. I believe trillium finds them in Portland...search for the thread came up empty.

"A bitter orange hybrid is the Bergamot orange, which is a cross between a bitter orange and the Palestine sweet lime, and, according to some, should have been named the bergamont lemon. "

can you get fresh bergamot fruit in the u.s.?  more specifically, can you get them in seattle or order them online?  will it cost me an arm and a leg?

I've heard through the grapevine that they were available last January at Whole Paycheck mislabeled as Seville Oranges.

Rocky

Me, I'm the grapevine. :)

I bought them at the Bellevue Whole Foods last January, used the juice to make Friday After Five cocktails and cochinita pibil, and the zest to make bergamocello. Mmm, can't wait for this years (bigger) batch... I have a line on a place in SF that sells wholesale quantities, but they won't be in season yet for a while.

Whatcha gonna do with them, CQ?

~A

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I buy them at New Seasons here in Portland, but they won't be in season for a while yet.

GreenLeaf, a wholesaler in SF, might be able to tell you who they ship to in Seattle.

For the curious, here is a thread in the Italian forum I started a couple of years ago. Some non-sweet ideas are in there.

Elizabeth Montes, proprietor of Sahagún Chocolate Shop (10 NW 16th Ave., 503 274-7065) does wonderful things with the candied peel in her chocolates. Check her out when you're in Portland (I think she might start mail-ordering too).

I'd be happy to mail some off to Seattle once the season arrives if you can't find them more locally.

regards,

trillium

Me, I'm the grapevine. :)

I bought them at the Bellevue Whole Foods last January, used the juice to make Friday After Five cocktails and cochinita pibil, and the zest to make bergamocello. Mmm, can't wait for this years (bigger) batch... I have a line on a place in SF that sells wholesale quantities, but they won't be in season yet for a while.

Whatcha gonna do with them, CQ?

~A

bergamocello sounds amazing! i'm tired of the usual winter citrus fruits and looking for something new.... candied peel sounds great (thanks for the heads-up on the chocolate maker). a tart based on a lemon curd-type recipe. confit. gelee. panna cotta?....i'd just like to experiment.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was introduced to bergamot by Jacques Genin, the elusive French chocolatier who supplies some of the finest restaurants in Paris, but doesn't sell retail. I had never heard of it before, and didn't particularly like it in the chocolate.

Now that I see here the connection between bergamot and Earl Grey tea, I understand. I've never liked EG tea, either.

• 4 weeks later...

Any Bergamot in Seattle area these days? I'm coming down this weekend and would not only love to get some, but would then have to be cooking Sat night instead of eating!

Let me know if you have sighted them lately, I would travel to some ends of the earth for one (well some).

Ta