• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean pickled/fermented foods

I made a trip to Koreantown and noticed a lot of pickled/fermented stuff besides kim chi and decided to try some out. The only problem is I didnt manage to finish eating all of it and only noticed recently (a month and half after purchase) that I still had some of it at the back of the fridge (some pollack roe and pickled clam meat). So how long do these things keep? Kinda clueless here...

Pollack freezes pretty well.

Um... my mom's joke is that some Korean pickled/fermented dishes have already gone bad (in a controlled way, obviously)... if you've stored it properly in a clean, airtight container it should be fine. Do you see any signs that it looks like it's going bad?

• 3 months later...

Whenever I have ventured into Koreatown (in Toronto) I have tended to over-buy, or get things I don't know how to use. The staff are not that helpful (once I asked for dried bonita flakes, which they had, but I was sent to the canned tuna section!).

Yesterday I went to the Korean store on Parliament Street. English is not a problem there. I took home a tub of home made Kimchi, but, as a neophyte, I was disappointed. I love the spicy hot sauce, but the preserved chinese cabbage seems too watery, or waterlogged. Should I expect something crispier, or am I being too fussy?

Whenever I have ventured into Koreatown (in Toronto) I have tended to over-buy, or get things I don't know how to use.  The staff are not that helpful (once I asked for dried bonita flakes, which they had, but I was sent to the canned tuna section!).

Yesterday I went to the Korean store on Parliament Street.  English is not a problem there.  I took home a tub of home made Kimchi, but, as a neophyte, I was disappointed. I love the spicy hot sauce, but the preserved chinese cabbage seems too watery, or waterlogged. Should I expect something crispier, or am I being too fussy?

I just did exactly the same thing on Thursday--bought a big jar of homemade kimchi at LV's Korea town, which is more like a Korea half-block. It's gorgeous, but absolutely no fermentation, no fire...just mildly salty. I'm confused. The jars aren't even labeled, so I KNOW that it isn't the kimchi made for pasty white girls. I don't ask the grocer's help anymore either--they're really lovely people, but don't understand that I don't want the Korean version of Wonderbread.

Also, the vegetable in mine looks sort of like a carrots with the top attached, only the root part is white, and the greens, although wilted, are deep green and a bit succulent. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Also, the vegetable in mine looks sort of like a carrots with the top attached, only the root part is white, and the greens, although wilted, are deep green and a bit succulent. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Sounds like small daikon radishes. They are quite common as kim chi.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

It could be yeolmu kimchi, or maybe chonggakmu kimchi.

Here is a brief guide.

I think kimchi varies a lot depending on the person who makes it. I get the best cabbage kimchi from my boss's wife - her family likes it with lots of shredded mu and she doesn't skimp on the ginger. I find the best way to get yummy kimchi is to befriend a Korean housewife, and beg a sample of the stuff she makes for her family. :biggrin:

I've also had an amazing cabbage kimchi from my favourite pork restaurant in Seoul - it's kind of limp and watery, but the owner ages it for six months before she serves it, and it has an amazing cidery- sourness that I love, with almost none of the shrimpy flavour that I don't love. Every time I visit, she sends me home with a big bag.

Of course, while begging, I usually have to have the whole, "Oh, you like Kimchi? Really? It's not too spicy for you?" conversation that I have every single time someone sees me eating kimchi. It's a small price to pay for good kimchi!

I think I do have daikon kimchi....thanks for the help and kimchi pointers!

I just got two Korean cookbooks from Half.com today, and both have a variety of kimchi recipes. I'm going to give 'em a shot!

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

• 1 month later...