• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coming to Dallas for Thanksgiving

Alonna Smith

My husband and I live in Philadelphia and come to Dallas every Thanksgiving. We will be staying at the Crescent for the first time, as they are running a "promotional special." We would like to take our brother and sister-in-law out to eat on Saturday night and want to make it special, but not necessarily French restaurant special. I have seen a lot about Lola but tend to shy away from "New American" cuisine and gravitate towards ethnic food. By then we would have had our fill of Mexican food, however. I was looking at Banana Leaf, La Duni, and Tramontana. Am I missing an obvious choice, and can I get some feedback on the ones I've chosen? My sister-in-law thought Tramontana might have closed.

Thanks so much for you help! :biggrin:

Edited by Alonna Smith (log)

I think that Stephen Pyles' new restaurant should be open by that date. That would defintely be worth checking out for a Saturday night restaurant. I'm not sure of the name yet, but in articles it's said that his name would be included in the name of the restaurant. It's in the arts district, which would be very close to your hotel.

I hope he has Heaven and Hell cake on the menu.

Is Cowboy cuisine ethnic?

I would highly recommend making the drive over to Ft Worth to dine at Lanny's Alta Cucina Mexicana in the Cultural district. Some of the best food in the entire DFW is coming out of Lanny's kitchen. And his new restaurant is very comfortable. Lanny Lancarte is showing Dallas how it is done in a gracious way.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I think that Stephen Pyles' new restaurant should be open by that date.  That would defintely be worth checking out for a Saturday night restaurant.  I'm not sure of the name yet, but in articles it's said that his name would be included in the name of the restaurant.  It's in the arts district, which would be very close to your hotel.

I hope he has Heaven and Hell cake on the menu.

Is Cowboy cuisine ethnic?

Thanks planojim! I will watch for that. A M. Pyles restaurant would fit the bill.

Thai-riffic is a good recommendation. I liked the green curry dishes.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!