• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Computer program for recipe management

lapasterie

Is it for home use or for a restaurant? Optimum Control is a great recipe and inventory program but also about $1000.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I had Mastercook and didn't really like it.  this is the one I use now.

Marlene

I was wondering if this would be able to take recipes with metric system (grams) instead of Cups and all. Ive been trying to make a database but it seems like this would be good if it can use metric.

Does anyone else know a recipe system that would work for weights measurements (grams)?

Thank you.

-Nhumi

Nhumi, any chance you're a linux fan?  If so, there's a pretty good free program called KRecipes.  Sorry takomabaker, it requires KDE which is a bear to get running on a mac :(

I can probably look into it. But will probably need my brothers' help.

Thanks.

-Nhumi

Marlene

I was wondering if this would be able to take recipes with metric system (grams) instead of Cups and all. Ive been trying to make a database but it seems like this would be good if it can use metric.

Does anyone else know a recipe system that would work for weights measurements (grams)?

Thank you.

-Nhumi

I'll have a look at mine today and let you know. Even though I'm Canadian I still cook in Imperial measure, so I've never thought to look. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Does anyone have a good program to store recipes on the computer? On my old computer I had Master Cook.

I have been looking for the same thing for a Macintosh, with no luck at all. Anyone else on a Mac that uses this type of software?

I have also been looking and found something interesting today. Check out

MacGourmet

Marlene

Thank you.

-Nhumi

I'll have a look at mine today and let you know. Even though I'm Canadian I still cook in Imperial measure, so I've never thought to look. :biggrin:

You can certainly enter recipes using metrics and weights. I checked mine and they all seem to be there in the drop down menu. As well, you can add measures or ingredients to the drop down list as you go. What I'm trying to find out, and I've sent them an email, is whether you can display the recipes that come with the software in either metric or imperial.

Marlene

what i'd like is something that will translate recipes that i put into it into http://www.cookingforengineers.com style.  i like the setup on that site, but i don't care much about the actual recipes on there.

Their style you can mimic with Excel or OpenOffice.org's Calc.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

what i'd like is something that will translate recipes that i put into it into http://www.cookingforengineers.com style.  i like the setup on that site, but i don't care much about the actual recipes on there.

Their style you can mimic with Excel or OpenOffice.org's Calc.

sure, i COULD, but then i'd have to do it. and i want something to do it for me. until then, my recipes are staying in the manila folder on my bookshelf...

I had Mastercook and didn't really like it. this is the one I use now.

Marlene I have been toying with the idea of using a computer program for a while now to get me organized. What did you not like about Mastercook compared to the one you use now?

Also, my home situation is that my computer is on the 2nd floor of the house, the kitchen on the main. I don't know if the logistics will complicate my life. Do you printout a receipe every time you use it, or are you lucky enough to have a laptop in your kitchen? :biggrin:

Thanks

Life is short, eat dessert first

I have a computer recipe storage program... um, I can't remember which one it is, but it's maybe MasterCook or something like that. It was about $20 at Comp USA. I find myself using it only when I'm trying to get nutritional information, i.e., calorie and fat count.

What I use most of the time, is MS Word. I can cut and paste recipes from eGullet, Epicurious, etc., and just save them in Word. I also can print out only the ingredient list. I have a small notebook that I carry in my purse, containing only a list of ingredients for each recipe, so that when I'm grocery shopping I can refer to it. (You don't expect me to actually get organized and make out a shopping list, do you?) In reality, the community in which I live can be a difficult place to find ingredients more sophisticated than Hamburger Helper. So even though I may head to the store intending to make a particular recipe, they may be out of something as simple as romaine lettuce. :angry: That's where the notebook of ingredient lists comes in really handy.

I have a regular-sized notebook of page protectors that hold my current favorite recipes. But I've been known to carry a newly-printed recipe around for a few days, and lose it before I can get it into the notebook. (Yes, I am ADHD.) It's not unusual for me to print out a new copy every time I use a recipe.

Having the recipes in MS Word also makes it very simple for me to save them to CD, which goes into storage at my sister's house, and gets swapped out for an updated version from time to time. After our last tornado, I learned the hard way to have a plan B for storing recipes.

Edited by jgm (log)

It's been several years since I used Mastercook, so it may have improved. I recall it being far more complicated to use than I liked, and there was so much stuff in it that I didn't use, but had to pay for.

Also, (and I don't know if Mastercook does this as well now), the software that I use allows me to easily export recipes or shopping lists to my palm pilot which is very handy.

I too have my office on the second floor, although I admit to having a laptop that I can and sometimes do set up in my kitchen. But since I'm old enough to prefer a piece of paper, and my eyes are old enough that reading recipes off a screen while trying to cook, makes them cross, I tend to print the recipe out and take it downstairs with me.

Marlene

Valuesoft purchased Mastercook from Sierra years ago and it was hard to find for a while. They have since come out with several upgrades, one of them a simple option to send recipes to your PDA (file/export/export to PDA.)

Version 9 is now available and is about $20.- You can look at it here

It does have a lot of options, but I find that I use more and more of them as time goes on.

Lysbeth

I used MasterCook for many years but became frustrated with bugs and with many of the design features. Now I use The Living Cookbook and really like it - the interface is more intuitive for me, it's far simpler to use, it has all the organizational tools that I find useful, and the price is decent at $30. I would highly recommend it.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I used MasterCook for many years but became frustrated with bugs and with many of the design features. Now I use The Living Cookbook and really like it - the interface is more intuitive for me, it's far simpler to use, it has all the organizational tools that I find useful, and the price is decent at $30. I would highly recommend it.

I really like the looks of this one tejon! I may just have to switch!

Marlene

Does anyone have a good program to store recipes on the computer? On my old computer I had Master Cook.

I have been looking for the same thing for a Macintosh, with no luck at all. Anyone else on a Mac that uses this type of software?

I have also been looking and found something interesting today. Check out

MacGourmet

I'm on Mac too, and when I upgraded to a new iBook recently I tried out a lot of different freeware, shareware, and commercial demos before settling on one that seems to work best for me: Yum!. Great interface, features and stability, and very simple to use. It's free to download and try, and if you like it you can choose how much you want to pay.

Like almost all of the other personal chefs I know, I use Mastercook. I use only the shell, not their recipes. It's easy to copy and paste from eG or Epicurious or anywhere at all into MC format. I love it for scaling servings up and down, which I'm always doing for parties. Lots of other personal chefs use it for grocery lists, although I don't like that function particularly. The nutritional information does take some tweaking for unusual ingredients, but then is very accurate. I did the recipes for a heart-healthy cookbook last year, and the registered dietician who checked my work pronounced the nutritional stuff to be excellent.

Mastercook also has a great search function that lets you include or exclude ingredients, so that you can search for all recipes including chocolate, or all recipes excluding liver, and so on.