• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks published in 2005

ludja

Admittedly I'm coming in very late on this conversation and have only read this current page..........but I wanted to add my thoughts. First, I'm a huge fan of David Lebovitz!! But I wouldn't agree with his picks on baking books.

Hey Wendy,

Do you mean David Lebovitz or me, David Leite? Not sure if he put out a list. But if you mean me and LC, let me give you a few of our thoughts as to why we included the two books. (Apparently rancho_gordo is right: We will add commentary to each book choice next year. For the past two years, no one ever commented on our list!)

Chocolate Chocolate was placed on the list because those of us who tested recipes loved them. There are only 13 recipes for brownies out of more than 200 recipes. Admittedly there are a lot of cookie recipes. But looking at the book again this morning, I think the photography does the book an injustice: the lion share of pictures are of…cookies and brownies. (Maybe someone from market research said cookies and brownie pictures sell. Who knows.) But there are recipes for babas, bars, breads, cakes, candies, muffins, scones, pies, crepes, biscuits, crescents, waffles.... We also liked the book because of the in-depth primer in the front of the book on chocolate, ingredients, and baking. But most important, the book really can be used by the beginning baker as well as by the advanced baker. Chocolate Obsession, a very fine book, was on the finalist list for a long time, but was edged out by just a few points.

Regarding Martha's baking book, we looked at it on its own merit, not whether recipes appeared elsewhere. (Our one goal is to offer up books we think are well done.) Many people don't subscribe to her magazine, myself included, so we found many recipes that we all wanted to make. Those that we did make, we liked very much. It’s comprehensive and very well illustrated; something just about any baker—especially the novice—appreciates. Much about a recipe can be divined from a good photo.

Best,

David

David Leite

Leite's Culinaria

... Talk about coming into a forum topic late! Ah, better late then never... Just proves I need to get off that UK Forum more often!

Wonderful thread! Great books, Great food, Great times!

Another cookbook that was released back in May of 2005 was "Matching Food & Wine- Classic And Not So Classic Combinations" by Michel Roux Jr. of Le Gavroche Restaurant in London.

This 192 page hardback, with beautiful color photos by Tara Fisher was published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson, part of the Orion Publishing Group (ISBN 0 297 843273).

In it, Roux Jr claims it is not a 'wine' book. For that you would be better off to read one of the superbly penned tomes by the greats. However, it is a wonderful guide to those of us who question what wine/drink selections would best bring out the flavors of the dishes he has paired to them. The book is written in sections, reflecting the courses in a meal. From pre-dinner drinks (I gotta go with Champagne...) to starters, mains, cheese and finally dessert, he explains why he has matched this to that.

His recipes are simple and complete. Not all of the wines listed are vintage outta this world bottles, but more generally listed by styles and grape varieties. That makes it easier to find a bottle in your local without having to mortgage your home.

On the other hand, if you have a special bottle you want to build a meal around, there are suggestions for that too!

In addition, if you are planning to dine at Le Gavroche in the future, you can enjoy first-hand his special seasonal menus that reflect his experienced pairing philosophy, not to mention the best service in London! A REAL TREAT!

Roux states: "As with anything to do with taste, this whole subject is open to much debate. One thing is for sure, though- the pleasures derived from tasting and experimenting with food and wine is never ending." I trust this gentleman's expertise, talent and palate, and look forward to enjoying many of the recipes and pairing tips that he has suggested.

See ya on the threads!

Paula Jonvik

"...It is said that without the culinary arts, the crudeness of reality would be unbearable..." Leopold

Here are a few that I bought in 2005, some which have already been covered.

Boulevard - Nancy Oakes

Fantastic book. I have tried three recipes and they were all huge successes

The Cook's Book - Jill Norman

One of the best DK books ever published. Every recipe I tried has worked without a flaw

Roy's Fish and Seafood - Roy Yamaguchi

Although it repeats a few recipes from his other two books, most are new and wonderful. Its a keeper. Crisp pan-fried ono with yuzu-soy vinaigrette - Delightful!

Seared black peppercorn and herb crusted ahi with maui-onion cognac sauce- to die for

On the Chile Trail - Coyote Joe

Simple Tex-mex recipes but with a flair- The Assorted Wild Mushroom and Poblano Chile Reduction sauce had everyone dipping their prime rib in it.

The Pork, Peppers and Pineapple Skewer with Sonoran Ponzu was also very good

Tapas - A taste of America- Jose Andres

Havent cooked anything out of it yet, but I am going to try this weekend. Everything looks great

Build a better burger - James McNair

Not another burger book. Except this one has some killer recipes all taken from Sutter Homes awards over the past 15 years. Everything I tried so far has been new and different

The New Southwest Cookbook - Carolyn Niethammer

A collection of recipes from many restaurants throughout the southwest.

Not that I need another SW cookbook, but SW is my personal favorite style and this books brings a bunch of new and exciting recipes. Chicken with Huitlacoche and pineapple salsa was outstanding. Also the garlic-sauteed lobster medallions with corn blinis and ancho creme fraiche was a bit complicated but well worth it.

Santa Fe Kitchens - Museum of New Mexico Foundation

Just released and I just picked up my copy. I will be cooking out of this for the holidays. Beautiful cookbook with lots of wonderful NM photos and paintings.

Great Gift Idea

Charcuterrie - Ruhlman and Polcyn

Not much to add to the thread already here. I just received my pink salt today and I plan on making bacon next week.

Thanks for the nice summaries of your new 2005 acquistions, happacooking!

I'm curious to check out Santa Fe Kitchens, among others, on your list. I am only *slightly* afraid that it will make me have too much unhealthy kitchen-envy as I love the style of New Mexican kitchens. :smile:

Thank you for putting this and the others on my radar screen.

Leite's Culinaria just released their choices for the top 20 food and cookbooks of 2005 here.

The All-American

Dessert Book

by Nancy Baggett

(Houghton Mifflin)

Any comments on some of the new mentions?

I currently have Bagget's book out of the library and it looks quite good. I've already 'bookmarked' about 20 recipes... :smile: I don't have many of the more modern "American Dessert" cookbooks yet although I have been seriously considering Sax' book for awhile as well as "Baking with Julia". Bagget's book has a nice representation of classic American desserts. Besided chapters on PIes, Cakes, Cookies, Cobblers there are chapters on Puddings and Custards, Ice Cream and Sauces, Confections and Candies.

Some of the slightly novel recipes that catch my eye are the "Orange Chiffon Cake w/Orange Glaze", "Hawaiian Pineapple Crisp", "Roasted Pear Bread Pudding", "Caramel Butterscotch Custards" and "Double Chocolate Malt Ice Cream". These recipes are nicely rich, but are not in the "over the top" type style.

Does anyone have experience with any of her previouis books? (All American Cookie Book and The International Cookie Book?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I don't think any one has yet mentioned the original new book, BONES by Jennifer McLagan (Harper Collins, 2005). The book was the focus of a NY Times feature just before Halloween.

I read it cover to cover this week and couldn't put it down. It is just the kind of food we need in cold weather. I have marrow bones in my fridge right now soaking in salt water ready for roasting, and I bought lamb shanks to braise in Guiness, ox tails to braise with roast vegetables, and ribs galore.

Any carnivore out there with access to a good butcher should have a look at this book.

Thanks for that report. I came across the book on Amazon and it sounded interesting. I think I'll have to put it on my wishlist now.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

From Australia

"Saha" by Greg and Lucy Malouf - covers Lebanese and Syrian cooking.  Very similar in style to the Alford/Duguid cookbooks.

Here is a review and discussion thread on "Saha": click

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Has anyone mentioned Olive Trees and Honey, by Gil Marks, a wonderful book of Jewish vegetarian recipes?

I came across this back in late spring and have prepared many of the recipes that are made with simple ingredients and yet produce extraordinary dishes.

The history and explanations of how many of the recipes evolved is a wonderful read and very entertaining. I am non-Jewish but the rich heritage of the foods and traditions fascinated me and often kept me reading into the wee hours.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I also bought Spices of Life by Nina Simonds at the same time as Olive Trees and Honey and it too has become one of my favorites.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Has anyone mentioned Olive Trees and Honey, by Gil Marks, a wonderful book of Jewish vegetarian recipes?

I came across this back in late spring and have prepared many of the recipes that are made with simple ingredients and yet produce extraordinary dishes. 

The history and explanations of how many of the recipes evolved is a wonderful read and very entertaining.  I am non-Jewish but the rich heritage of the foods and traditions fascinated me and often kept me reading into the wee hours.

I'm happy to hear you like this book - it's on my list of books I must get. I was lucky enough to sit in on a talk he gave last month and found him to be fascinating. I may have to buy it for myself for Chanukah.

If you haven't already, please check out the LA Times Food Section Digest (2 November 2005).

This week's digest is The Cookbook Issue, filled with various cookbook articles, including one from our fellow eGer and LA Times food columnist Russ Parsons.

Enjoy!

"The New Spanish Table" by Anya von Bremzen (Workman, $22.95, due by Thanksgiving)

“An admirable blending for anyone who finds Ferran Adrià's wizardry (or mad science) a bit daunting and Penelope Casas' classics a little too familiar.”

We are lucky to have the author start a discussion thread of her new book in the Spain and Portugal forum here

Here is an earlier review from the LA Times: click

Anya von Bremzen has an even more stellar take on Spain, the "it" country this year, both in the restaurant world and in publishing. While most books still approach the cuisine in the most predictable (read paella) fashion, her "The New Spanish Table" dramatically communicates how the essential ingredients have evolved beyond potatoes and peppers, and how some of the most revolutionary ideas in the world are germinating in kitchens there.

The recipes are a mix of restaurant innovations and centuries-old standards, and always rewarding. Something as simple as scrambled eggs with piquillo peppers and anchovies on toast could change your conception of tapas for home use.

I just took the book(Olive Trees and Honey) down off the shelf and note that it was published in November 2004, so it is not technically a 2005 publication.

However, I did not see it mentioned until shortly before I ordered it.

It was mentioned on the cookbooks discussion list, CookbooksEtc., and I often rely on the opinions of the members. Most are avid cookbook collectors, all are dedicated to finding the "perfect" cookbook.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Well, this thread has convinced me to buy three more books based on recommendations here, the Dannenberg "Paris, Boulangerie, and Patisserie", the Batali "Molto Italiano", and the Ruhlman "Charcuterie" books! Cha-ching!

This brings to 8 the number of cookbooks I've bought based on eGullet discussions just this year. Man am I getting fat!

Thank you for all the discussion for those of us who are amateur/hobbyists who appreciate the craft of fine cooking, even though our skills may not do the authors justice.

Any other recommendations for the definitive Ruhlman book? I came across like a jerk in the Cooking Under Fire thread, and, much like Scrooge, I'm seeking redemption during the Holiday Season.

:cool:

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

• 1 month later...
I'm going to dinner at the Herbfarm in mid-November and will be bringing home a copy of Traunfeld's new book. I'll also get a replacement for his previous one as I've given my first one to my daughter, destroyed the spine of the second one, and gave the free replacement from the publisher to the woman who bought my house and herb garden.

Just saw this review of Traunfeld's new cookbook, "The Herbal Kitchen: Cooking with Fragrance and Flavor" in the SF Chronicle. (thanks digesters!)

Traunfeld divides the book into categories such as "Fast Suppers" and "Intimate Feasts." Each recipe is prefaced with a description that gives an overall impression of the dish, and suggests substitutions if certain herbs aren't available. A beautiful photograph and easy-to-follow directions accompany each dish as well.

His recipes are simple, usually bearing the true essence of the ingredients. In the Lamb Chops with Parsley, Mint and Olive Saute, for example, the herbs' strong aromas play up the true flavors of the lamb, and the olives add the right amount of acidity to the dish.

Other recipes mentioned:

Slow-Roasted Salmon with Spring Herb Sauce,

Roasted Cauliflower with Apple & Dill

Berry Rose Sangria

Lavender Pound Cake, and Blueberries

Blueberries and Watermelon in Cinnamon Basil Syrup.

Already mentioned earlier by others, but after doing some more scouting at the bookstores, "Tapas: A Taste of Spain in America" by Jose Andres and Richard Wolffe is going to the top of my choices among last years books. Nice balance of new and traditional tapas that all sound very tempting.