• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best upscale bars?

Diann

I fell in love with Pegu Club this past weekend and am now feeling hesitant about running out and grabbing drinks with friends here because the bars I know of won't live up to the Pegu Club experience.

Is there anything remotely like this in Philadelphia? Places with knowledgeable and friendly bartenders, fantastic drinks mixed with loving care, relaxed loungey atmosphere, etc.?

Katie had mentioned on the Pegu Club thread that she wants to open something like this someday, but I'm an instant gratification kind of girl. :biggrin:

The barstaff at Southwark is pretty professional and mixes a fine cocktail.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

C'mon, do you you really think Philly would have a bar that fey?

C'mon, we can be as effete as *anybody*!

My personal (limited) experience is that the Ritz-Carlton and The Striped Bass are as close as we get. Which isn't very close.

Edited by Capaneus (log)

So effete and fey are synonyms?

I think that would be a good business idea for Katie.

I can think of a business structure that might work out well too.

Hmm, I'll have to talk to Katie about that.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

So effete and fey are synonyms?

Not really, but I think 'fey' and 'effeminate' are pretty synonymous.

Huh. Nah. None of the three are quite synonymous, though there is overlap. If anything, "effete" and "effeminate" come closest.

And none of them are particularly Philadelphian, Mummers aside.

Aside from my future endeavor of opening Philadelphia's first "Fey Bar", can we try and keep this on topic?

Thanks. Carry on...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm familiar with both Mummers and classy bars.

The former aren't a market for the the latter, altho' there are exceptions.

Despite our "suits," Mummers are neither effete nor effeminate. Fey, possibly -"...otherworldly, magical, or fairylike aspect or quality," per dictionary.com.

Philadelphia's very high priced bars are at fancy restaurants and clubs. I'm unaware of any that are distintuished for their cocktails, but that's not my sandbox.

This is supported by the previously listed establishments on this thread. Doc's Happy Rooster qualified, but he's gone.

I dunno if Philly would embrace a classy cocktail bar. Katie's much better qualified to consider that.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I'm familiar with both Mummers and classy bars.

The former aren't a market for the the latter, altho' there are exceptions.

Despite our "suits," Mummers are neither effete nor effeminate.  Fey, possibly -"...otherworldly, magical, or fairylike aspect or quality," per dictionary.com.

Philadelphia's very high priced bars are at fancy restaurants and clubs.  I'm unaware of any that are distintuished for their cocktails, but that's not my sandbox.

This is supported by the previously listed establishments on this thread.  Doc's Happy Rooster qualified, but he's gone.

I dunno if Philly would embrace a classy cocktail bar.  Katie's much better qualified to consider that.

would Mahogany above Holt's on Walnut St. qualify as classy? They have a nice selection of single malts and cigars on the menu, and the food is pretty good. I don't drink mixed drinks (unless you count a dirty vodka martini as a mixed drink), so I can't help with signature cocktails.

Aside from my future endeavor of opening Philadelphia's first "Fey Bar"

:raz::huh:

Even the gay bars in Philly are fairly middle-of-the-road; most of them feel like neighborhood watering holes.

That was prior to the opening of Bump, though. If the dance floor makeover is a premonition of things to come, Tavern on Camac is headed in Bump's direction.

Still, neither of these are anywhere near that place in New York that started this thread.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3