• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Summer!

Billy D

The summer is here and I am wondering what egulleters like to drink.  For me, I like a cold beer; a crisp, dry white wine; a dry rose wine; mojitos; caiparinhas; white sangria; dry sherry and margaritas.

Mojitos también (in fact, girlfriends going for a Mojito crawl tomorrow), and also really really like Lemonade with Amaretto; iced coffee; root beer floats.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I believe summer starts on Thursday.  So of course I'm holding back until then :wink:   Campari and grapefruit juice is my new hot weather favorite.  For wine, I tend to go to chilled rose rather than white.  For everyday swilling, an ordinary Tavel is hard to beat.  I find cider on tap more refreshing than beer, assuming it's cold.  And I admit I have started on the margarita program already - not frozen, on the rocks, salt of course.

I forgot the PMC (Perrier, Menth, Citron); I was visiting a friend in Greece a few years ago and this drink was all the rage.  In a highball glass add 1-2oz. citron vodka, add 3-4 sprigs of mint (broken up) pour in the Perrier and enjoy.  Try it on a hot afternoon sitting by the beach, pool or on your yacht (ha ha ha).

Peach Sangria....made with, most notably, fresh peaches, white wine and peach schnapps.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Campari is your warm weather friend. Campari and grapefruit juice, as Wilfrid said. Campari and Wink. Campari and Ting. Campari and soda. Mmm.

I echo the rum drinks. I used to take my blender to parties along with a big bottle of Bacardi and make girly drinks like daiquiris with it. Hmmm, I got invited around a lot in those days.

I drank stuff like mudslides when I was in college but now it's just too much for me.

Absolut Citron sours are pretty much a year-round favorite.

Limoncello sounds about right for summer, too.

Either Victory's Prima Pils or their Hop Devil IPA. Grapefruit juice with a dash of bitters if concerned about alcohol.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Now you guys are making remember all my other favorites  :smile: .

I've just been thinking about picking up a bottle of Limoncello to keep in the freezer this summer. And chilled Tavel was new to us this spring when we were on vacation in a sunny clime. The friendly guy at the wine store recommended a Jaboulet Tavel and it was perfect with cold roasted chicken.  At the beach we sometimes mix beer and lemonade to make a shandy.

My vice is strong iced coffee with artifical sweetener and lots of half-and-half. It's funny -- never take sugar in my hot coffee, but come summertime the fake stuff is the only thing that makes my cold coffee taste right. And that make me think of coffee or lemon granita, which is really refreshing on a hot day................

My favorite summertime drink is iced coffee.  Brew your favorite coffee at double strength, then chill immediately.  Serve over ice with your favorite garnish, and liquor flavoring.

Cheers!

Coffeetaster :smile:

"Wine give rise to dreams: Coffee to thoughts"

Now you guys are making remember all my other favorites  :smile: .

My vice is strong iced coffee with artifical sweetener and lots of half-and-half. It's funny -- never take sugar in my hot coffee, but come summertime the fake stuff is the only thing that makes my cold coffee taster right.

Boy, me too.

I also don't put sugar in my hot coffee or tea.  Just don't like 'em sweet.  But a tall glass of iced coffee, with sugar and cream.  Man....that's decadent summer living for me.

Non-alcoholic - Seltzer with two splashes of orange juice.

Alcoholic - Compari & soda with a lime wedge.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Was asked to post recipe...

Peach Sangria

2 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced (in winter, I use frozen)

1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed

1 orange, thinly sliced, seeds removed

3 T sugar (or to taste, depending on size of lemon)

1/4 Cup Peach Schnaaps

750 ml dry white wine

Combine all and chill well, at least one hour. Serves two very jovial people.

As is immediately apparent, there is no brandy, so this is a pleasant, light, fresh-tasting summertime drink.

Particularly good variety of Sangria when entertaining guests upon pale-colored carpeting. :biggrin:

And on occasion I have, at the end of the evening, fished out any remaining peaches (now wonderfully marinated) and served them over ice cream for dessert.

a zippy light white. a sancerre or riesling. sauvignon blanc.

ever since i went to london, i have been a huge fan of "Pimm's". pimm's is not very big over here in the states, but i found it quite refreshing and delicious, what with it's mint and cucumber slices it's very food-like.

no one else seems to know of or care for pimm's. am i completely alone on this one? any recipes for those stuck in the states without access to proper british "lemonade"?

I love Pimm's. I always have a bottle on hand in the summer.

Here's what I do:

Pour Pimm's into pint glass; fill with ice.

Top with cold ginger ale.

Garnish with slice of lime.

You're "supposed" to also garnish with a slice of cucumber, but I never quite got that. Also, lemon is more traditional, but I like the lime better.

Have just made a new batch of limoncello and mandarinetto with jasmine flowers for summer drinking, that are cooling in the freezer as I write.

Bourbon always.

I love chilled tequila.Not margaritas (too much stuff in them and I hate all that sweet n'sour), but silver Herradura or Chinaco with a fresh lime squeeze.Followed by a cold Negro Modelo or Tecate (with more lime).

Campari (Campari sorbet is also fabulous)

Lots and lots of iced black coffee with sugar. I take my leftover morning coffee and freeze it into ice cubes so my drink dosen't get watered down.

And of course bitters and soda when my body just can't take it anymore...

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction