• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tasty breakfast empanadas now in Rutherford!

phaelon56

Supreme Bagel on Park Ave in Rutherford just took over the adjacent space and opened up a small but very nice dining area. The bagels have always been good but the owner, who is of Colombian extraction, is now offering excellent beef empanadas during the morning hours. Not sure how long they last or whether they make multiple batches but they are worth checking out at $1 each - two makes for  a good breakfast. They also have small containers of that tasty homemade salsa type condiment (perhaps it is salsa?) that is sometimes offered with Mexican breakfast sandwiches. It's got finely diced onion and some hot pepper with a heavy dose of cilantro. Mmmmmm....

They're open until mid-afternoon. I supppose it would be a decent lunch place if you're okay with bagel sandwiches. they do offer a variety of egg, coldcut and other options wiht the bagels and have some pastries as well (pastried not made on premises). Not sure if the empanadas are just at breakfast or whether they make more during the day as need arises. It's a spotlessly clean operation and the folks who work there are always very pleasant even though I'm far from a regular (but might become one to get my morning protein fix!).

Good point on West New York. I think that would actually be Bergenline Ave - I have a Cuban friend who lives there but we generally go into NYC to eat - I'll solicit some feedback from her. I'm stoked about the Rutherford offering simply because it's 5 or 6 blocks from my apartment and the only different breakfast offering in town other than standard diner fare or bagels.  Next new development in Rutherford... a French-Moroccan restaurant called Medina is opening on Park Ave dowon by Station Square. It will seat about 125 and judging from the exterior and interior work I've seen thus far, it may be more upscale the  formica table sort of Moroccan that I've tried elsewhere.