• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tricked! When foodie tendencies betray you

I keep wanting to tell the story of how I repeatedly tricked BA into flying by making him eat a drug-laden hamburger. But that wasn't me, that was Hannibal...

Anywho.

Not so much "tricked", but my Mom kind of "bribed" us to eat brussel sprouts by cooking them with bacon. Mmm, I love brussel sprouts...

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Yeah...I didn't like snow peas as a kid. My mom tricked me into eating them by saying, "If you eat snow peas, you'll grow up to be as beautiful as Snow White!"

And it worked. :laugh:

Yer creapin' me out Pan ... AAAACK! :raz:

We trick the dogs into taking their flea medecine by hiding it in pepperoni. Unfortunatlely Ringo can separate the pill out quite easily now. I think he's looking for more pepperoni ...

Myself? I ate everything as a kid so I didn't need to be tricked. :wink:

A.

Not so much tricked, but certainly a sign of things to come. My brother, sister and I used to have a game where we would go into the kitchen when our parents weren't home and try and come up with the weirdest, most disgusting combinations of food and drink that the others would have to taste and try and guess what was in it. And we had to taste them. Usually these consisted of lots of hot sauce, ketchup, milk, sugar, vanilla..etc. We would just go into the cupboards and get creative. Some were absolutely horrific, but occasionally, we would come up with something that was actually quite tasty. As we got older and found a drug that will make you eat anything you come in contact with, this childhood game resurfaced.

Definitely a sign of things to come. My brother is now a chef, and we are all quite handy and creative in a kitchen. All of us developed a love of hot sauce and spicy food too.

Edited by peppyre (log)

My grandmother's dining room table had a drawer in it at my uncle's spot. He hated vegetables, so used to slide the drawer open and drop the veggies in when my granmother wasn't looking. He'd come back after she went to bed to dig them out and bury them in the trash, readying the scene for the next day.

When I was four, my older sister snuck out of bed during our nap time and said she was going to bring me back a treat. She came back with a sundae dish piled high with fudge sauce and whipped cream. I took a big bite of the sundae, only to find that there was no ice cream--she had filled the dish with broken spaghetti. Mean sister. :angry:

when I was very young, my parents convinced me that pomegranates could only be eaten, seed by seed with a pin. It took me 30 years to realise that this was a cunning ploy to keep me industriously (and quietly) employed for an entire afternoon.

when I was very young, my parents convinced me that pomegranates could only be eaten, seed by seed with a pin. It took me 30 years to realise that this was a cunning ploy to keep me industriously (and quietly) employed for an entire afternoon.

Similar to... I don't remember where I read this but... one way to keep a toddler happily occupied is to place honey on his/her fingers and give him/her a feather to play with!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Yeah...I didn't like snow peas as a kid. My mom tricked me into eating them by saying, "If you eat snow peas, you'll grow up to be as beautiful as Snow White!"

And it worked. :laugh:

Yer creapin' me out Pan ... AAAACK! :raz:

So, you didn't eat your snow peas, eh? :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

In 5th grade I tricked a classmate into eating a piece of candy from my "Chocolate Menagerie"

As he was chewing it, I mentioned that he had selected the chocolate covered bees.

Needless to say, he freaked and spit it out.

The chocolate covered grasshoppers were yukky looking (with bits of legs and stuff sticking out.) The chocolate covered ants tasted like Nestle's crunch to me.

I believe there was a 4th kind, but I can't remember what it was.

The only other trickery I recall was when my 2 year old nephew was visiting (eeek he is 25 now) and I gave him a realistic looking chocolate chip cookie magnet. He tried to bite it, and I felt really bad, since he didn't understand, and I didn't even have a real cookie in the house to make it up to him.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I don't think I was being tricked, but my 80 year old neighbor who was bordering on dimentia at the time used to bring me plates of spagetti with thin, very wierd bones still in the sauce.  They weren't chicken, they weren't beef, they weren't fish.

So did you ever find out about those bones? If they were thin, it would pretty much have to be fish.

I wasn't a picky eater as a child, but for some reason I did not like chicken or fish. Something about the texture, I suspect. Anyhoo, my mother and grandmother had to convince me to eat the chicken by telling me it was 'bubblegum-flavored chicken.' My precocious 5 year old self fell for it... once. It most definitely did not taste like bubblegum. However, given that my mother is a well-meaning but horrid cook, it definitely chewed like gum.

I got my revenge several years later... Mom had made fish and I absolutely refused to eat it. We argued as only an exasperated mother and an 8 year old can - to the point where I was not allowed to leave the table until I finished my fish. She left the room so I could contemplate my situation and that foul-smelling fish. I defiantly went over to the pantry, pulled out the bottle of windex, and poisoned the entire pan of fish. Then I tattled on myself. I was grounded for a week, but I didn't have to eat that damn fish.

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

I defiantly went over to the pantry, pulled out the bottle of windex, and poisoned the entire pan of fish. Then I tattled on myself. I was grounded for a week, but I didn't have to eat that damn fish.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is one of the funniest ones yet... thank you for my morning laugh!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

OMG . . . The Windex fish had me laughing out loud.

I was not a particularly picky eater as a child but I did have my moments . . . raw tomato (long story, still can't stand them), oysters and TURNIPS! My family members usually had a garden somewhere and most of them grew turnips and were great turnip eaters. Even as late as my late teens (college student) my mother would try to disguise some sort of turnip dish under gobs of butter or whatever. I could smell a turnip a mile away. She finally gave up when, at age 25, she served turnips with the lilting promise that these turnips were just out of the garden and "sweet as sugar." My reply was . . . "They taste like sweet turnips!"

Then, years later, I got tricked. I was at a business friend's house out in the country in Delaware. It was an impromtu dinner invitation. His wife decided to make a simple beef stew. After playing in the woods with the dogs, I thought I should offer to help in the kitchen. I go in and get the job of peeling some potatoes while she is peeling . . . TURNIPS! Oh dear. I had resigned myself to choking down a polite quantity of the stew. I took a small portion, making the excuse that I am a small eater in the evening. (True.) WELL . . . That was the most delicious stew I have ever eaten in my life. I went back for thirds. I still remember it to this day. The turnips added some warmth in the tummy and a delicious back note that I have never been able to duplicate. Maybe it was the good company, the cozy traditional dining room with the candlelight, the cold night. I don't know. But, later that night I looked up to heaven and told my mom, grandma and great aunt that I had finally, gladly, gleefully, eaten turnips.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I defiantly went over to the pantry, pulled out the bottle of windex, and poisoned the entire pan of fish. Then I tattled on myself. I was grounded for a week, but I didn't have to eat that damn fish.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is one of the funniest ones yet... thank you for my morning laugh!

Ditto....thanks!

OMG . . . The Windex fish had me laughing out loud.

You're welcome. I hadn't thought about those stories in ages. Yet another reason I adore eG.

Mom remembers the story to this day (some 30 years later). Whenever we eat fish together, she puts a bottle of windex on the table as a condiment.

ETA: to also thank fifi

Edited by inny (log)

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

I was a pretty mean kid too! I remember there was like, a month, when my parent kept buying Chinese napa cabbage. We ate as a side dish every night at dinner. Naturally, I got sick of it, and I was really annoyed that my little brother enjoyed it so much (that was probably one of the reasons why my parents kept buying it!) Anyway, napa cabbage is pronounced "siew choy" in Cantonese. One day, my brother and I were alone in the kitchen, eating instant noodles with Chinese sausage and napa cabbage. My brother asked me, "Why does siew choy look yellowish?" And I responded, "Well, 'siew choy' is not the real name of the vegetable. The secret is that it's really called 'liew choy' ('liew' in Cantonese means 'urine'! :laugh:) but farmers had to change the name because no one would want to buy it if they knew how it was grown!" And then I made up some story about how farmers...err...fertilize this vegetable everyday in the field, hence the yellowish colour.

My brother spat out the vegetable and I got in trouble when he repeated the story to my parents at the dinner table. :laugh:

I was a pretty mean kid too! I remember there was like, a month, when my parent kept buying Chinese napa cabbage. We ate as a side dish every night at dinner. Naturally, I got sick of it, and I was really annoyed that my little brother enjoyed it so much (that was probably one of the reasons why my parents kept buying it!) Anyway, napa cabbage is pronounced "siew choy" in Cantonese. One day, my brother and I were alone in the kitchen, eating instant noodles with Chinese sausage and napa cabbage. My brother asked me, "Why does siew choy look yellowish?" And I responded, "Well, 'siew choy' is not the real name of the vegetable. The secret is that it's really called 'liew choy' ('liew' in Cantonese means 'urine'!  :laugh:) but farmers had to change the name because no one would want to buy it if they knew how it was grown!"  And then I made up some story about how farmers...err...fertilize this vegetable everyday in the field, hence the yellowish colour.

My brother spat out the vegetable and I got in trouble when he repeated the story to my parents at the dinner table.  :laugh:

Priceless... and damn our siblings and our parents for remembering....

Anna

------

My parents told me I'd get worms if I ate too much sugar  (or, not wash my hands in the bathroom). Specifically, this was in reference to a treat which had a sour-sugar wand, that you licked and dipped it in a flavored sugar pouch. Can't remember the name of it, but think "Pixie stix".

Lik 'Em Stix is what they were called here. I loved them too.

Lik-M-Aid 'Fun Dip'

You were close.

I was a pretty mean kid too! I remember there was like, a month, when my parent kept buying Chinese napa cabbage. We ate as a side dish every night at dinner. Naturally, I got sick of it, and I was really annoyed that my little brother enjoyed it so much (that was probably one of the reasons why my parents kept buying it!) Anyway, napa cabbage is pronounced "siew choy" in Cantonese. One day, my brother and I were alone in the kitchen, eating instant noodles with Chinese sausage and napa cabbage. My brother asked me, "Why does siew choy look yellowish?" And I responded, "Well, 'siew choy' is not the real name of the vegetable. The secret is that it's really called 'liew choy' ('liew' in Cantonese means 'urine'!  :laugh:) but farmers had to change the name because no one would want to buy it if they knew how it was grown!"  And then I made up some story about how farmers...err...fertilize this vegetable everyday in the field, hence the yellowish colour.

My brother spat out the vegetable and I got in trouble when he repeated the story to my parents at the dinner table.  :laugh:

Do you have any idea how much hot and sour soup hurts when shot out your nose! :angry: I knew I shouldn't read this thread while eating. That's it I'm going home for the day. Great story. :laugh:

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren