• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local/regional food "rags"

moosnsqrl

OK, I posted in "The Heartland" about a new publication, "Fire and Knives," in the Kansas City area.

Now I am curious what is happening elsewhere?

I read, with great interest, about the upcoming "Relish" insert to Sunday papers, but that's a different animal.

Are there other local/regional upstart publications?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

To be honest, there's not much in my neck of the woods. But, I'm flirting with the idea of starting one. Granted, Tulsa isn't exactly a bubbling metropolis, but all there is to do here is shop and eat. And the shopping ain't that great ;)

Once you get away from the chains, there are some great eats here. I thought about blogging it, but maybe a free broadsheet to start isn't a bad idea.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

OK, I posted in "The Heartland" about a new publication, "Fire and Knives," in the Kansas City area. 

Now I am curious what is happening elsewhere? 

I read, with great interest, about the upcoming "Relish" insert to Sunday papers, but that's a different animal.

Are there other local/regional upstart publications?

Here's the homepage of a local regional 'rag' from Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada with huge distribution not only on the island but Vancouver, Whistler and the Okanogan. It's a free publication but subscriptions are available to those outside the loop.

LINK

wow, thanks. Looks like this is slightly more evolved than we are, but should serve as inspiration.

I'm afraid we'll never be able to lay claim to fresh sardines as a local product, though. :sad:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

there's a decent magazine in cleveland published its first issue this spring, called Feast, edited by Laura Taxel a writer and the woman here who covers in her book Ethnic Eats all the ethnic restaurants and markets in the city.

All we get here in Akron is Jane Snow in the Beacon Journal. :hmmm: Lame. We have to rely on Scene and the Free Times out of Cleveland. Their reviews are always entertaining.

Edited by lesfen (log)

I didn't check out the first issue of Feast, but did just look for it online. It's connected to Cleveland Magazine and only comes out twice a year, May and November. In terms of reviews, I like the Free Times and Scene a whole lot more than the Plain Dealer. The PD seems to be a tad biased.

Harlan

"Whatever doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger."

I am humbled. Looks like you posted your opus when I was on vacation and not routinely checking the forums. Thanks for taking the time and energy to do this (and not taking your meds;-)

And when time allows, kindly add Fire & Knives, a monthly in the Kansas City area (print -- I know there is a UK-based website of the same name but the one I am referring to will get stuff on your fingertips, guaranteed).

If you need a new project my office is a disaster and my spice cabinet is always in disarray :wacko:

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned this on gwilson's magnum opus thread ( :biggrin: ), but I'll post it here as well.

In the Hudson Valley (NY) we have an excellent publication, The Valley Table, which has done some wonderful, in-depth coverage of the artisanal producers and restaurants here. I believe they publish quarterly, and they've been around for about 7 years now.

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)