• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade fishsauce

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't known anyone who's made the fish sauce themselves, but it's exciting to see a Hmong girl here. Welcome, and I hope you post about Hmong food.

Michael aka "Pan"

Someone told me that back in old days folks used to dump live anchovies to a fermenter and cover it with salt.

this is true...

if you really want to make home made fish sauce

you better like the smell of rotting fish!

:laugh:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Native users of fish sauce rarely, if ever, make them at home rather like Parisians who never ever have to bake their own daily baguettes. But if you really must know, there is a very good PDF article on garum, liquamen and salsamentum that tells you how the ancient Greeks and Romans made them. The procedure has not changed at all in the last two thousand years or so. Just google.

Edited by Apicio (log)

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer