• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 days in Toronto

Sonja

Hi friends

I will spend 3 days in Toronto in mid-November; I've never bee, and I don't know much about the Dining scene.

I would appreciate a few tips on where to go for great Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (without losing my shirt :wub: ). including a few places where a girl can go by herself without feeling out of place.

The belly rules the mind.

Dinning alone's always hard. I would go to Lee for dinner and sit at the bar. For lunch may be at JK wine bar.. None of these requires reservation and they don't cost an arm.

- M

Hi friends

I will spend 3 days in Toronto in mid-November; I've never bee, and I don't know much about the Dining scene.

I would appreciate a few tips on where to go for great Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (without losing my shirt :wub: ). including a few places where a girl can go by herself without feeling out of place.

Actually I should narrow things down geographically - I'll be staying near College & Bathurst. I'm definitely planning one evening at Splendido, but other than that I'd like to not stray too far from the neighbourhood.

Hi Sonja

One of my favourite brekkie places in TO is Over Easy on Bloor Street, between Bedford and University, across from The Royal Conservatory of Music (St. George or Museum subway stops). Lots of eggy goodness. Here's the WHERE Toronto link:

http://www.where.ca/toronto/guide_listing~...ing_id~1083.htm

Hope this helps...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

j.

blog: Confessions of a Cardamom Addict

Lots of 'trendy'-ish places are a few paces to the west of Bathurst/College, along College. A French place, Cafe Margaux, just before Ossington along College, N.side, looks good and would probably be considered affordable.

There's also a few potentially nice and affordable places on Baldwin St, which is south of College, between College and DundasW, beginning at Beverly St a bit past Spadina and east of Bathurst. Try a google.

Chinatown's not far.

Make sure to try some of the Vietnamese restaurants on Spadina. (My personal favourite used to be Saigon Palace on the west side of Spadina at college, but I have not been in a few years).

Another must are the Chinese bakeries, such as the Melewa on Dundas, for the savoury buns. Great breakfast, brunch fare and super cheap. There are also plenty of Vietnamese bun shops serving super cheap yummy sandwiches.

Go to Kensington Market for some good cheap grub too.

The Indian Rice Factory at Dupont and Bathurst (well just east of their around Howland Ave) is a nice choice.

There are quite of few good sushi shops in Toronto. Hiro sushi is good. There are plenty of moderately priced okay ones on Queen West between Spadina and University as well.

If you are going to go uptown, I can offer more recommendations.

Mark

Going west from Bathurst along College, there must be 40 or 50 restaurants in the next few blocks. There are lots of options where you're staying. Utopia has decent bugers and a friendly family-oriented crowd. CAfe Margaux was mentioned. I've been meaning to try it, but haven't yet. I believe Pony also has a relatively inexpensive prix fixe, almost at the corner of College and Bathurst. Both are French inspired. But, there's tons of options just on the College strip, many, but not all, having Italian fare of one sort or another and a range of budgets. Heading east a few blocks to Spadina brings you to Chinatown (although I see you're from VAn - so this may not hold as much interest to you). Heading a big block south brings you to Dundas, which doesn't have many options, but Saving Grace at Claremont is a popular brunch/lunch spot and Musa (at Euclid) is a popular local hang. Another big block south brings you to Queen, and more options. There, Terroni has fantastic Italian style pizzas, but is often packed for dinner. Could be good for lunch though. A couple large blocks north of College takes you to Koreatown on Bloor.

All these areas are within a fifteen minute walk (or thereabouts) of College and Bathurst. It's all generally safe to walk at night. Baldwin St., mentioned earlier, might be a little further. Just the other side of Chinatown. Also, within a $10 cab ride, there's a bazillion options. Anything specific you're looking for?

Oh, besides checking here, have a peek at Now magazine (our alternative weekly a la the Georgia Strait) for what's on in the city (they also have resto reviews if you're interested, but you're already here).

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Going west from Bathurst along College, there must be 40 or 50 restaurants in the next few blocks. There are lots of options where you're staying. Utopia has decent bugers and a friendly family-oriented crowd. CAfe Margaux was mentioned. I've been meaning to try it, but haven't yet. I believe Pony also has a relatively inexpensive prix fixe, almost at the corner of College and Bathurst. Both are French inspired. But, there's tons of options just on the College strip, many, but not all, having Italian fare of one sort or another and a range of budgets. Heading east a few blocks to Spadina brings you to Chinatown (although I see you're from VAn - so this may not hold as much interest to you). Heading a big block south brings you to Dundas, which doesn't have many options, but Saving Grace at Claremont is a popular brunch/lunch spot and Musa (at Euclid) is a popular local hang. Another big block south brings you to Queen, and more options. There, Terroni has fantastic Italian style pizzas, but is often packed for dinner. Could be good for lunch though. A couple large blocks north of College takes you to Koreatown on Bloor.

All these areas are within a fifteen minute walk (or thereabouts) of College and Bathurst. It's all generally safe to walk at night. Baldwin St., mentioned earlier, might be a little further. Just the other side of Chinatown. Also, within a $10 cab ride, there's a bazillion options. Anything specific you're looking for?

Oh, besides checking here, have a peek at Now magazine (our alternative weekly a la the Georgia Strait) for what's on in the city (they also have resto reviews if you're interested, but you're already here).

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Thanks Geoff, that sounds great!

I would like to have dinner at Splendido, as well - my boss keeps telling me that it is a must. Do you agree?

I've never been to Splendido. It has had an increasingly good buzz on egullet lately. A bit of a splurge, but apparently worth it.

If you do try it, let us know what you think.

Bar Italia and Supermarket, as mentioned, are also solid choices within a five or ten minute walk or so of College and Bathurst. They're both really close. La Palette, on Augusta at the northern tip of Kensington market (very close to Supermarket) is popular for quack & track - duck and horse. I've eaten there, but can't recall what else is on the menu. I did enjoy the quack & track.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Thanks Geoff, that sounds great!

I would like to have dinner at Splendido, as well - my boss keeps telling me that it is a must. Do you agree?

Its certainly one of the best restaurants in the city and I doubt few would argue otherwise. Better than Susur? Absolutely.

Actually I should narrow things down geographically - I'll be staying near College & Bathurst. I'm definitely planning one evening at Splendido, but other than that I'd like to not stray too far from the neighbourhood.

I favour Aunties and Uncles for breakfast which is at College and Lippincott (just E of Bathurst), NW corner. Someone in this forum once described it as having "too many hungover hipsters" which I can't disagree with but I've always felt comfortable eating there alone. Don't miss the potato salad with mustard seed and dill; the grilled cheese with arugula and peameal is nice too. It *is* a total hole in the wall though.

(416) 324-1375

74 Lippincott Street

some people swear by Greg's Ice Cream at Spadina and Bloor...I think they're just OK, interesting flavours but personally I wouldn't make a special trip during a 3-day visit.

(416) 962-4734

750 Spadina Avenue

because it's close(ish) by...I've heard good things about the dining room in the Hart House at the University of Toronto, but never been. But apparently it's not at all what you would expect for campus food (silverware/tablecloths/etc.).

if you're into it, I (and I'm sure others) can make a few recommendations for Chinatown which is close to where you'll be too.

if you haven't already visited them, torontolife.com and toronto.com are good resources for finding joints. Enjoy your stay!

Oh-oh, by now poor 'Sonja' must be overloaded with recommendations for her brief stay!

some people swear by Greg's Ice Cream at Spadina and Bloor...I think they're just OK, interesting flavours but personally I wouldn't make a special trip during a 3-day visit.
For years that place was N.side of Bloor, downstairs, but near Bedford&Bloor, or closer to Avenue than Spadina. I passed by a couple weeks ago and it is now gone.
because it's close(ish) by...I've heard good things about the dining room in the Hart House at the University of Toronto, but never been.  But apparently it's not at all what you would expect for campus food (silverware/tablecloths/etc.).
I remember Hart House ran a student cafeteria type operation for years, which was then shut down. I'd be interested to hear if they've re-vamped things and added fine silverware and such. Jeez, if only I still had credit on my old meal-card!
if you're into it, I (and I'm sure others) can make a few recommendations for Chinatown which is close to where you'll be too.
Yup. See what others've written above.

For years that place was N.side of Bloor, downstairs, but near Bedford&Bloor, or closer to Avenue than Spadina. I passed by a couple weeks ago and it is now gone.

Greg's is _not_ gone but has relocated (as I mentioned) to Spadina and Bloor (the old location was Bloor closer to Avenue, across from the RCM). The old location is now occupied by a rather clueless gelato vendor. More specifically Greg's is on the south side of Bloor maybe 3 doors west of Spadina, next to "PI-TA-Q" and the Jewish Community Centre. Hope that helps.

and you can find more details on the Gallery Grill (in the Hart House) here: http://www.torontolife.com/cityguide/listi...listing_id=6299. Again I've never been.