• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stirrings Cocktail Sodas

M.X.Hassett

Just came across this on BevNet http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/stirrings/

"Manufacturer's Brand Overview: Introducing the first sodas created specifically to compliment fine spirits! With “champagne” carbonation, and a cool vintage look, these sodas are the perfect finish to a great cocktail. Fine ingredients include triple purified water, cane sugar, fleur de sel and others. Stirrings™ Cocktail sodas come in 3 great varieties: Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, & Club Soda."

Anyone have any experience with these, it looks like top notch ingredients to me?

Also it their claim to be the "first soda for cocktails" accurate? I thought there have been people making Ginger Beer for cocktails for awhile now?

Edit: More on ingredients http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/documentview.asp?document=586

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Here is the web site of the company. Looks like they make a lot of "cocktail mixers" -- "Cosmopolitan mix,"Mojito mix" and things of that ilk (i.e., mixes for drinks that don't need a mix and are better made with fresh ingredients). As far as I can tell, their "sodas for cocktails" are expensive versions of club soda, tonic water and ginger ale in little bottles. I'm sure they're fine, but not so sure they're any better than products already widely available.

I see they do make a "blood orange bitters" that I'd be interested to try, though. . .

--

Here is the web site of the company.  Looks like they make a lot of "cocktail mixers" -- "Cosmopolitan mix,"Mojito mix" and things of that ilk (i.e., mixes for drinks that don't need a mix and are better made with fresh ingredients).

I see they do make a "blood orange bitters" that I'd be interested to try, though. . .

We are in complete agreement on how a cocktail should be mixed ie no "mixer". I was curious as to the tonic (water, chintona bark, cane sugar) as opposed to a lot of the High fructose, acid stuff in other tonics. I did not see the bitters now I will have to get some.

Edit: From looking at the sight I think they make the "mixers" for W&S which I strongly advise to stay away from.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

People pay for bottled water, do they not? One could easily invest in a filtration device that would pay for itself many times over, yet they don't.

Seems like a very expensive bit of trickery to me. Then again, I can't stand tonic water so it makes no difference to me.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ok, so what are the good tonic waters out there, ie no artificial or High-Fructose. I am also not the biggest fan of tonic but I have found it is a good way to wean people onto gin 5:1, and I refuse to use under-par anything.

Though someone a certain feckless thug an "I love martinis but let the bottle of Vermouth just look at the Vodka" recently made a Bols and tonic while I was walking the dog which made me very angry keep your hands off my stash of Bols. :angry:

Ok, so what are the good tonic waters out there, ie no artificial or High-Fructose. I am also not the biggest fan of tonic but I have found it is a good way to wean people onto gin 5:1, and I refuse to use under-par anything.

I think most people consider Schweppe's the tonic water of choice. It's definitely my favorite. I'd love to try Stirrings if it showed up on the shelves of my local grocery store, but that's not too likely I fear.