• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Litigious trouble

Lets face it Tony, your no shrinking violet when it comes to description & opinions - and we all thankful for it.  But I not sure that those on the receiving end, deserving or not, appreciate the critical observations that are made to help them become better people or their establishments better places.

I understand if you don't/can't answer this - but has anyone taken legal exception to your wisdom, has this tempered your attitude or do you just have an excellent set of lawyers?

So far, the only people I have clearly and knowingly libelled with intent (to the best of my knowledge) : Steven, my former sous--and Adam-Real-Last-Name--have been dining out and gettin' laid off their notoriety. I informed them in advance that I was planning on revealing to the world their every hideous personal predilection, criminal tendency and disgusting personal habit--and they pretty much grunted--"Okay..cool." Comedy ensued when, for instance, Steven--in a new slick corporate chef job in Florida, was summoned to the dining room by the stately middle-aged female editor of a major food section. She greeted him, glanced down at his clogs (which I had referred to as frequently semen-spattered in KC) and dryly remarked, "they look clean to me."  The books are vetted by legal--and my daily regimen of diatribe has--to date--not resulted in any quality time in court. I feel sorry for anyone who tries--as my wife is a seasoned, self-taught sea-lawyer of the worst kind--with an unbroken string of victories in housing court. And anyone who wants to appear in court to demonstrate they are in fact provably NOT a "chicken stealing, crack smoking, pin-dicked shoemaker--who does regularly to food what Hitler did to Poland" (for instance) would have to read that phrase in the newspaper every day while my wife puts them through a painful, lengthy and intrusive "discovery" process, fully exploring--for the record--any and all potentially inappropriate contact with poultry in their past. So knock wood.

abourdain

I love your Vegan statement in the Portugese episode of ACT. Which I've just seen the other day. FN Canada is finally running it.

Funny stuff. But I hope to see more actual cooking rather than just the meals coming out.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM