• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Up the Apples

tryska

If they're bigger than a Jonathan, I doubt they'd be Macs. In any event, I vote for baking. Try one that way and see how it works.

Dang, I wish I knew what kind they are. The person that gave them to me has no idea :rolleyes: .

I tasted one, and they aren't sweet sweet--they have a bit of tart to them.....

If they're bigger than a Jonathan, I doubt they'd be Macs. In any event, I vote for baking. Try one that way and see how it works.

Dang, I wish I knew what kind they are. The person that gave them to me has no idea :rolleyes: .

What's the texture like? Crisp? Mealy? Firm? Dry? Juicy? That will help determine what application they'd be best suited to.

Apple crisp is easier than apple pie and nearly as good, so that's another suggestion for you.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Thanks for each and every idea!  I am the world's WORST maker of pie crust.  I would love to make pies and freeze them.  Anyone want to mail me some crust  :biggrin:

I have a juicer.....great idea about making juice.  Maybe a hot cider drink on Halloween??

Apple chutney--I'll have to google and find some recipes.

Does anyone make apple butter in a slow cooker?

Try this for the apple butter: http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotd...es/r/bl57c4.htm HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

What's the texture like? Crisp? Mealy? Firm? Dry? Juicy? That will help determine what application they'd be best suited to.

Apple crisp is easier than apple pie and nearly as good, so that's another suggestion for you.

They're mealy and definitely not very juicy.

Thanks for each and every idea!  I am the world's WORST maker of pie crust.  I would love to make pies and freeze them.  Anyone want to mail me some crust  :biggrin:

I have a juicer.....great idea about making juice.  Maybe a hot cider drink on Halloween??

Apple chutney--I'll have to google and find some recipes.

Does anyone make apple butter in a slow cooker?

Try this for the apple butter: http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotd...es/r/bl57c4.htm HTH!

Thanks! I'm checking it out now.

Have you considered peeling, coring and cutting some into rings and drying them.

Almost any type of apple can be dried and later reconstituted and used in many types of pastry or other recipes.

It is not difficult, much easier than drying soft or stone fruits and the results are surprisingly tasty as the flavors and the sugars concentrate as the slices dry.

You need to slice them thicker than for immediate cooking - at least 1/4 inch thick and sliced evenly - not in wedges.

If you can get one of the peeler/corer/slicers it makes the job much easier but you can do it by hand and do half-rings.

Peel the apple, cut it in half, core it, lay it cut side down on a board and make parallel cuts from end to end.

There is another thread that discussed drying times and etc. I'll look for it and add a link later.

I prepare dried apples especially for "fried" pies - similar to pasties - although mine are baked, not actually fried.

Linkk to drying fruit.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You can use store-bought, frozen crusts. We won't tell! You could buy the frozen single shells, fill them with your apple pie filling, then freeze. When you want pie, pull one out of your freezer, top with streusel and bake.

Another suggestion that I read elsewhere on the internet(but haven't yet tried): Freeze your pie filling directly in pie tins. When it's frozen solid, pop the filling out of the tins and seal in freezer bags. Then, when you're ready to bake a pie, you can just place the formed filling directly in the pie crust without needing to thaw it first. Just bake the pie a bit longer when using frozen filling.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash