• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Up the Apples

tryska

If anyone has a favorite apple bread recipe, I'd love to get it by PM...I'm learning to cook this month anyway.

I meant to mention this above - when I make a pie with a combination of honeycrisps (Jonagolds work very well if you can't find the honeys) and Granny Smiths, I add no additional sugar. First got this idea from my mom, who bakes pies for my diabetic father. The honeycrisps are sweet enough that they're all you need...no one even missed the sugar when I made one for Thanksgiving.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Growing up in Michigan I was lucky to have a Snow apple tree in the front yard. I ate hundreds of them in my formative years. Tiny apples, deep red skin, brilliant white flesh. I've not seen them in a store or farmers market since. :angry:

Anyone else know of this apple variety?

Growing up in Michigan I was lucky to have a Snow apple tree in the front yard.  I ate hundreds of them in my formative years.  Tiny apples, deep red skin, brilliant white flesh.  I've not seen them in a store or farmers market since.  :angry:

We get then in Australia, an oldish French variety I think (also known as 'Pomme de Neige' or 'Fameuse'). My parents grow them.

Re: Cox Orange Pippin. The aren't really the most popular variety in the UK and there are several different strains or clones. The strain that is imported isn't nearly as nice as the local ones and are nearly twice as big as the local ones also.

The UK has many amazing apple varieties, but mostly imported apples are eaten. Some of the more evocative local apple varieties are:

D'arcy Spice, Egremont Russet, Grenadier, Lord Derby, Norfolk Beefing, Ribson Pippin (parent of the Cox Orange Pippin), Worchester Pearmain, Bramley's Seedling, Blenheim Orange, Cornish Gilliflower and Pitmaston Pineapple.

There are most likely hundreds more quitely becoming extinct.

here's a question - what are "lady apples" used for?

i've seen a lot of these in my farmers market - greenish with a red tinge, and they're tiny - maybe golf-ball sized?

just looking at them i presume they are really sour, and i'm not sure what they would be used for.

Macs and Courtlands used to be my favorites too - but soemwhere along the line they became more mealy than tasty and I stopped trying to enjoy them.

I'll third this sentiment. Just a few years ago Macs were my favorite and now they are across the board mealy. Can't remember the last time I had a good one. What gives?

I don't know. are you in Macintosh Apple Country presently?

I noticed the difference between the ones picked off a tree and the ones in the grocery store. the grocery ones were horrible - the tree ones of course, were delicious.

maybe they've been bred to hell?

During a short window during early fall, I'm all over the chestnut crabs, which are not commonly available (usually used for polination and the orchard owners hoard them for themselves!

If not chestnuts, my favorite eating apple is the Haralson. It's more on the tart side, which is what I love.

Here in Minnesota, there are orchards that also sell baked goods, and none of these places sells Haralson's. They use all they can grow (and actually buy them if possible) for baking. They are the best apple for cooking and baking.

The University of Minnesota has been a leading apple research and breeding facility for many, many years, and you can thank them for Haralsons and Honeycrisps.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

i've seen a lot of these in my farmers market - greenish with a red tinge, and they're tiny - maybe golf-ball sized?

just looking at them i presume they are really sour, and i'm not sure what they would be used for.

Mainly for centrepieces, garlands and wreaths, specially for outdoors since they can survive freezing and thawing. If you bite them though, you will discover that the few bites are crisp, juicy and intensely flavourful.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

Growing up in Michigan I was lucky to have a Snow apple tree in the front yard.  I ate hundreds of them in my formative years.  Tiny apples, deep red skin, brilliant white flesh.  I've not seen them in a store or farmers market since.  :angry:

Yes they are known here in Ontario and in Quebec and Vermont as Fameuse. They are popular in backyards because the seedlings tend to produce fruits much like their parents. They are also popular as breeder and people suspect that it may be a parent of another Canadian star, the MacIntosh.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

Thanks all for the tip that CM carries honeycrips. I guess I just never noticed before, even though I go two or three times a week. I picked up a half dozen today and damn they are crisp! My only complaint is that they're a bit too sweet but I guess I just have to eat them slower. I think I have a new favorite apple. Thanks!

I don't know.  are you in Macintosh Apple Country presently?

I noticed the difference between the ones picked off a tree and the ones in the grocery store.  the grocery ones were horrible - the tree ones of course, were delicious.

I'm in Dallas, so nowhere near apple country, in other words. Even when I buy 'em organic they're mealy.

Mainly for centrepieces, garlands and wreaths, specially for outdoors since they can survive freezing and thawing. If you bite them though, you will discover that the few bites are crisp, juicy and intensely flavourful.

huh - so they are tasty....tell me - do you think they'd be good as candy or caramel apples? they seem like a nice treat size.

I don't know.   are you in Macintosh Apple Country presently?

I noticed the difference between the ones picked off a tree and the ones in the grocery store.   the grocery ones were horrible - the tree ones of course, were delicious.

I'm in Dallas, so nowhere near apple country, in other words. Even when I buy 'em organic they're mealy.

I'm in Georgia now, so i'm in a similar situation - i think it might be those that are shipped either lose their goodness on the way, or didn't have the goodness to begin with. When I lived in New York and could get them off the tree in Orchards they were delicious - but even in grocery stores up there, they were hit or miss.

I love this thread! Just posted yesterday in the NJ Forum about my search for Winesaps, in fact...those are my #1 choice, and tough to find. But I agree that apples purchased in most stores are just AWFUL. Red Delicious are mind-boggling to me; I remember them as crunchy with a bright white interior from my childhood, but I can't tell you the last time I saw one remotely close. Macouns are great early in the season as well, but I think the one I eat the most of (thanks to availability) is the Granny Smith. I do love crunchy, tart apples...that's for sure! Thanks for opening my eyes to new varieties! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

huh - so they are tasty....tell me - do you think they'd be good as candy or caramel apples? they seem like a nice treat size.

From Ellen Shapiros Mongolia to China Part VIII

gallery_17172_1959_56278.jpg

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Susan (snowangel) grabbed a bit of my thunder. The Honeycrisp (a cross between Macoun and Honeygold) apple was "created" in Minnesota. It is totally in vogue right now, and is priced at about twice as much as any other apple.

I like them, but I still prefer Haralson apples for pastries, baking whole, and eating out of hand. Part of my affinity for them, I'm sure, hearkens back to my childhood and the Haralson apple tree in our back yard. Over this past weekend I just purchased a peck of Haralsons at an orchard and got busy making a pie and a crisp.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I never did develop an affinity to caramel apples. These little guys just might make me change my mind...

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Tryska, I also grew up in an orchard area - northwestern New Mexico. I ate apples and other fruit all the way to school and back every day - as did most of my classmates. We had golden delicious, rome, and winesap trees in our yard. My childhood home was in a subdivision built in a former apple orchard. The developer only removed trees to put in foundations, streets and driveways.

Since moving to Georgia I have been exposed to many new (to me) varieties of apples. At the apple festival in Ellijay, I discovered Arkansas blacks. My best source for apple variety locally is at Harry's Farmers Market. I suspect any Whole Foods location would have the same selection. They frequently have samples available, so that you can determine which apples are worth taking home.

cook them lightly with cinnamon, sugar, and rum then you can serve them over icecream or cake..they freeze well like this too.

I really want to do the apple slices cooked with redhots candies, just keep forgetting to get he candy

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I just posted about dried apple slices on another thread.

This site has the basic instructions.

I use 7-Up or a lemon lime soda instead of ascorbic acid, to keep the slices from discoloring.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett