• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An apple a day...or not?

Curlz

Got a batch of Macouns at the R'ford farmers market yesterday now that peach season is done. Yum.

The late-season corn has been outstanding this year - still nice, fully developed ears, not at all rusty or wormy, & oh so sweet. I don't recall it ever being this good this far into October, but maybe my memory is skewed.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Hi...The owner of Nettie Ochs in Livingston died over a year ago so I suspect that they may not be reopening at all. We often go up to the New Paltz area to buy our WInesaps..I can supply the name of a wonderful orchard if anyone is interested... (I have it at home and I am not at home right now)...The Winesaps are my personal favorites... I also called Hacklebarney Farm today and they say they do not have WInesaps..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lots of good quality Winesaps available at Philadelphia's Reading Terminal Market -- L. Halteman's stand Monday-Saturday, Benuel Kaufman's Wednesday-Saturday. I bought some today from Ben @ 99-cents a pound (three-pound minimum, otherwise he charges $1.49; Halteman's is 99-cents regardless of quantity, iirc.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

We went to Matarazzo's on Sunday morning after calling to be certain they had winesaps.. (Hacklebarney said they never heard of that variety) and bought for $1.49 a pound teeny, tiny apples ...tasted them at home...just not ripe...so we will try our favorite place in New Paltz this weekend..again after calling (they has not begun to pick Winesaps last weekend)...so happily next week I will have a happier story to share...I just love Winesaps so much... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We went to Matarazzo's on Sunday morning after calling to be certain they had winesaps.. (Hacklebarney said they never heard of that variety) and bought for $1.49 a pound teeny, tiny apples ...tasted them at home...just not ripe...so we will try our favorite place in New Paltz this weekend..again after calling (they has not begun to pick Winesaps last weekend)...so happily next week I will have a happier story to share...I just love Winesaps so much... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Hmmm. I bought winesaps from matarazzo's on Saturday at the Montclair market. Thought they were pretty tart, but good. not ripe? Please explain further..

I'm surprised to hear this, too...last weekend, I bought them from the people across from Matarazzo's--they were small but WONDERFUL. Even had a conversation with the guy about the size of them, and he said they were just starting to pick them. This past weekend, I bought them from the next vendor over from last week's--he's across from the organic guy--also starts with an M, but the name escapes me. Anyway, there was more of a mix of sizes this week, and they've been equally yummy. I also (thanks to a comment from ghostrider a week ago) bought corn from this stand, and it was fabulous. Felt like late August with the first bite, not mid-October! Huge ears, too.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm surprised to hear this, too...last weekend, I bought them from the people across from Matarazzo's--they were small but WONDERFUL.  Even had a conversation with the guy about the size of them, and he said they were just starting to pick them.  This past weekend, I bought them from the next vendor over from last week's--he's across from the organic guy--also starts with an M, but the name escapes me.  Anyway, there was more of a mix of sizes this week, and they've been equally yummy.  I also (thanks to a comment from ghostrider a week ago) bought corn from this stand, and it was fabulous.  Felt like late August with the first bite, not mid-October!  Huge ears, too.

I buy corn from them, too and heirloom tomatoes!! YUM..

I also (thanks to a comment from ghostrider a week ago) bought corn from this stand, and it was fabulous.  Felt like late August with the first bite, not mid-October!  Huge ears, too.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier - this week (Weds R'ford farm mkt), the ears were smaller, the husks a bit more tough, & 1 out of the 6 ears I bought had that corn rust at the tip. But the sweetness & the flavor are still right there, up front, in your face. Mmmmmmmm!

You're talking aboiut the Montclair mkt, right? Is this a big, hulking guy, dark hair a bit balding & beard? Just wondering if it's the same guy that I've been getting my corn from in R'ford. (I can't remember his name either.) It's been better than Matarazzo's corn this year.

(The absolute best corn of the year came from Richfield Farms out on Van Houten back in August, but this guy's has been very very close, & his late crop is unreal.)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Hi...SO last Saturday and this Saturday we went to several apple farms determined to find wonderful Winesaps...my Fall is not complete without them...I previously posted that we had gone to Matarazzo's and were very disappointed...by unripe, I meant that these apples were tiny, green and very sour...NOT Winesaps flavor at all...so we used the NJ State Guide found on line for finding apples and we drove out Route 78 to several..our favorite at Exit 15, turn left and they are few miles out on the right is Peaceful Valley Farms...the Winesaps were good last week, and great yesterday...so I am a happy camper... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very good to know, Shmily, as I was (again) disappointed yesterday at the Montclair FM by apples labelled Winesaps that definitely weren't! It was funny...I was at the Matarazzo stand, and the sign on a big box of apples said Winesaps, but I knew at a glance that they weren't. I asked someone behind the table "Are you sure those are Winesaps?" and she said, "No, the Winesaps are over here (in another, smaller box)," and she moved the sign. Despite the change to the correct box, there were non-Winesaps mixed in. GRRRRRRR :hmmm:

Sounds like I may have to take a ride out 78 and (finally) get to Circa while I'm there!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Very good to know, Shmily, as I was (again) disappointed yesterday at the Montclair FM by apples labelled Winesaps that definitely weren't!  It was funny...I was at the Matarazzo stand, and the sign on a big box of apples said Winesaps, but I knew at a glance that they weren't.  I asked someone behind the table "Are you sure those are Winesaps?" and she said, "No, the Winesaps are over here (in another, smaller box)," and she moved the sign. Despite the change to the correct box, there were non-Winesaps mixed in.  GRRRRRRR  :hmmm:

Sounds like I may have to take a ride out 78 and (finally) get to Circa while I'm there!

Hi...Actually info on Peaceful Valley is listed on previous page of this Forum..phone is 1-908-730-748...they do grow their own apples..enjoy..what is Circa?? :biggrin::biggrin:

Circa is in High Bridge, and the chef (Michael Coury) is wonderful; he was previously at The Jefferson in Hoboken, which (sniffle) closed a few months ago. I've been wanting to get out there to check out his new place, and a combo Winesap/Circa trip sounds like a great reason to do so!

The thread about Circa is here.

Circa is in High Bridge, and the chef (Michael Coury) is wonderful; he was previously at The Jefferson in Hoboken, which (sniffle) closed a few months ago.  I've been wanting to get out there to check out his new place, and a combo Winesap/Circa trip sounds like a great reason to do so!

The thread about Circa is here.

thanks for the information on Circa...and we enjoyed some apples yesterday...super good... :biggrin::biggrin:

Pat Mount at Terhune Orchards (Cold Soil Road, Princeton, NJ) told me they would have Stayman Winesaps until Thanksgiving. (I need them for a pie). Gary Mount, the owner of Terhune, was awarded Grower of the Year in 2005. Their newsletter had an article about apple storage and how he learned the techniques from older farmers. They are nice people and will let you try any apple before buying it.

Terhune Orchards Website

The reason we did not go to the Princeton area was because we go on a Saturday and the roads are SO crowded and on a Princeton football home game day, it is so much worse...thus, we chose Route 78...am I not correct about the traffic or are there better roads to take that are not crowded? :biggrin::smile: