• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Chilli Chinese restaurant

A colleague gave me a menu for a new leeds chinese the other day and then over lunch on friday jay and thom were raving about the sister branch in manchester.........

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/st...1591529,00.html

so i headed over today, being a complete novice to chinese food and not having the time or inclination for a big blow out we passed the undoubted delights of stir fried pig intestine and had the wimpy set lunch, a veritable bargain at £8 for 3 courses. I had a very good beijing hot and sour soup, some excellently garlic salt and pepper spare ribs followed by singapore style vermicelli (spicy).

Everything was definitely a step above the usual chinese standard and it looks well worth returning to for a more adventurous banquet.

you don't win friends with salad

I have to side with Mr Rayner on this one.

To follow Jay's lead and use a metaphor from my own experience I would suggest it is akin to visiting the players lounge at Old Trafford and asking where Phil Neville is.

Gary, Bapi - I can hear those husband and wife lung slices calling for our next Northern soiree...

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

To follow Jay's lead and use a metaphor from my own experience I would suggest it is akin to visiting the players lounge at Old Trafford and asking where Phil Neville is.

Gary, Bapi - I can hear those husband and wife lung slices calling for our next Northern soiree...

Cheers

Thom

And here, I think, we have identified the difference between you and me. When thinking about food, I grope towards notions of filthy sex. You think about cricket.

Jay

Listen to them, like a bunch of larger louts daring each other to order the phall after a night on the piss.  "Backs to the wall lads, he's having the Singapore Noodles!"

Second time in a week: Observer readers are already accusing me of being a homophobe for suggesting that only a ladyboy would order from the ordinary cantonese menu. Of course, my comment does not indicate that I discriminate against the gay community. Only aganist Ladyboys. Like Gary Marshall.

Jay

Guys, this sounds fantastic, I'm off to Manchester this saturday and wouldn't mind taking the missus for a spot of lunch. Do they do the full shebang at lunch as well as dinner?

Mmm lung..

i know i let the side down (Ladyboys FC), i did warn you i know nothing about chinese food :laugh:

i'm so distracted at the moment i've just walked back from leeds town centre and forgot to buy lunch :shock: so constructing a banquet is out of my range at the moment :laugh:

anyway, anthony's at flannels opens officially next week so that's my lunchtimes taken care of :biggrin:

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

Phil Neville "supposedly" plays footbal Jay , not cricket............... :cool:

I didn't want to be the one to point that out... It seemed petty and churlish. Now you're stolen the glory though I kind of wish I had. Bloody moral highground...

By a strange coincidence Phil did actrually play cricket for Lancashire (Freddy Flintoff recently admitted that the Neviller was the star of his junior side) and had a promising career ahead before switching to football.

Jay isn't a big sport-lover (ladyboy), but we love him anyway for his generosity, sparkling wit and casual baiting of organic-shoe wearing, freerange pasta smallholding Observer readers.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Which is why, after nearly 20 years in journalism, I have literally written for every section of newspapers for which it is possible to write - except sport.

Which personals column did you edit?

I think a trip with Mrs Bear to the aformentioned Chinese might be in order.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

It's official then Thom.

Gary will be made to sit in the corner in a Kimono like the Ladyboy that he is. :biggrin:

Which is why, after nearly 20 years in journalism, I have literally written for every section of newspapers for which it is possible to write - except sport.

you see, i thought that was a joke on jay's non sporting nature, though to look at him you'd never think he wasn't sporty :laugh:

you see being foodies you'll be lured into tucking into those lungs as being 'the right thing to do' whilst i shall be tucking into my chicken satay and actually enjoying it :laugh:

I suppose I do wear a kilt sometimes, so I shouldn't comment...!

I did notice, though, that you were good enough to let her have a go behind the wheel. :biggrin:

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Second time in a week: Observer readers are already accusing me of being a homophobe for suggesting that only a ladyboy would order from the ordinary cantonese menu.

Actually, anyone who orders on menu *at all* in any Chinese restaurant must be considered a 'ladyboy'. This includes prominent food writers.

--

Ian Fenn

Chopstix

http://www.chopstix.com/

Gary in a Kimono?  Having met Mrs Gary for the first time recently, I can confirm she wears the trousers. :)

the trick is to let them think they wear the trousers ......

No, I agree with Allan. She has the brains, looks and could easily beat seven bells out of him if crossed. Terrible taste in blokes though.