• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset Look-alikes at Target

Zen Baker

Has anyone tried these? They're 4.5 qts, made of pretty heavy cast iron. They're on sale for $29.99 this week, and I'm tempted to get one because I can't afford the genuine article. They come in red and blue.

The thing that I don't undersand about them is that the bottom's exterior is also red enamel just like the rest of the pot. I have a small Martha Stewart Kmart cast iron dutch oven (2.5 qts) that I bought on super-clearance, and it's great, and the bottom is not enameled. Instead it has these concentric rings that won't get damaged by the heat. I was wondering if anyone had tried the Target ones yet, or if I should just go back to KMart and get the larger dutch oven and forget the Target one because of that weird bottom. I wonder how much the larger MS one costs...

I'd post links but I can't find any. Thanks guys!

Edited by Zen Baker (log)

My LeCreuset are fully enamelled including the base.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a LeC roaster pan, kind of like this one, that must be a good 30 years old now, which is enameled on the bottom and have never had any problems with it. It's been heated over direct flame to make gravy, it's been in the oven, the fridge etc. all fine.

I also have a cheap LeC knock off gratin pan that I've been reasonably happy with for about 2 years now, so yes if your budget won't go for the real thing, by all means try the one from Target. You may not be able to hand it on to another generation like a real LeC (my first set I inhereted from my husband's Aunt, and have since passed on myself) and it probably doesn't distribute heat/clean up quite as fabulously, but it will still be a good sturdy pot, and the enameled bottom should make no significant difference.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I use the knock offs and LC's, and I can't tell any difference in the cooking process or the end product.

The enamel finish is not quite perfect on the Chinese product (bought at the Bay), but give them a few years experience, and it will be indistinguishable. But by that time, we'll have to get a cheaper product from India!

I admit that I've been lusting after Le Creuset, especially after reading through this wonderful discussion on this eGullet thread:

Le Creuset: Worth the Price? Why? Versus Lodge?

However, it is extremely expensive, IMHO (which will probably not stop me from purchasing a piece, anyway). My question, is do you think all of these "imitators" will cause Le Creuset to start lowering their prices to remain competitive? I sure hope so, especially if, as has been said previously, there are no major discernible differences in the resultant dish prepared.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

They haven't lowered their prices when prior knockoffs appeared on the market in England, Germany, Italy and etc.

I bought one of the made-in-China knockoffs at Marshall's to use in my barbecue/smoker and it has held up very well, except for a large chip off the enamel outside where it was dropped on the patio cement. I used Carbon-Off to get rid of the burnt on black stuff and it is still bright red.

I still have a lot of Descoware from the 1960s that is still in good shape. It was available here in the US long before I ever saw any Le Cruset.

I think Le Cruset got a big international boost from Elizabeth David after she opened her kitchen shop in London.

In her biography it states that Le Cruset produced the blue to her specifications - it was the same color as the package color of her favorite cigarettes!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There are lower priced French ovens that are of better quality than the ones currently coming out of China. You can sometimes find them at discount stores such as TJMax and Marshall's, where you can also find LC seconds (5 qt for about $90) at times. They also have the ones made in China for less.

There is also the Le Cruset factory outlets, with lower prices on seconds (cosmetic imperfections) and I have found even lower-prices on Amazon for firsts...if you are willing to wait for them to appear and do not find it important to have a certain color. When looking at Le Cruset on Amazon, always flip through the various color choices for a piece you want; sometimes one color choice will be drastically cut in price and have a good second piece thrown in for free.

You can also keep an eye out for annual Williams-Sonoma sales when they discontinue a LC color --- prices are slashed; one year I picked up a 9 1/2 qt oval LC for $90.

.  I  used Carbon-Off to get rid of the burnt on black stuff

Andi! Carbon-Off? Tell me all about it. Please.

I thought that I knew about all of the dangerous chemicals available. :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

No, and not for lack of trying. I looked and looked on the Target website, but it's not there. Also looked for the Martha Stewart one that I mentioned, and the only link to it that I could find is this one, which isn't very helpful:

http://www.epinions.com/Martha_Stewart_Eve..._71884_Cookware

If you have the Target flier from Sunday, there's a picture of it in there.

I've looked on the Target website, but can't find it. Can you link it?

Thanks

Edited by Zen Baker (log)

Is this it?

4.5-qt. Chefmate Harvest Baking casserole in red or blue.

No, and not for lack of trying.  I looked and looked on the Target website, but it's not there.  Also looked for the Martha Stewart one that I mentioned, and the only link to it that I could find is this one, which isn't very helpful:

http://www.epinions.com/Martha_Stewart_Eve..._71884_Cookware

If you have the Target flier from Sunday, there's a picture of it in there.

I've looked on the Target website, but can't find it. Can you link it?

Thanks

Are there any enameled cast iron gratin pans in the Target line? Those never seem to go on sale. I found a cheap version at a discount store once, pretty decent quality though I think the enamel will eventually chip. But only 9", and I would like something closer to 14" or more.

I took a quick look at this Chef-Mate enameled cast-iron at Target a few minutes ago. Hard to beat a 4 1/2 qt round "casserole" for $29 (regularly $39). The even more useful one may be the 5 qt oval for $39 (regular price).

While I don't think it's Staub or LC, the enamel looks okay to me and the lid seals well. No way to know how chip-resistant the enamel is, or how brittle the cast iron, or any other metalurgical qualities of the cast iron. And I don't care for the colors. But it still looks like a good value. You don't have a whole lot to risk.

I did not see any enameled cast-iron gratins. Just stoneware.

As a side note, it's worth looking at most of the growing line of Chef-Mate pots, pans and utensils that seem to be taking over the shelves and walls at Target. Most appear to be well-designed and of good quality. We have been talking about the pots and pans here for over two years.

They're going to have to find they're own cookware.  "In my day...we had to find cookware in the snow, uphill both ways!"

I love this. Just as I was thinking today as I prepared to braise, that someday i'd pass this LC pot off to my son or his wife. :biggrin:

Edited by Marlene (log)

.  I  used Carbon-Off to get rid of the burnt on black stuff

Andi! Carbon-Off? Tell me all about it. Please.

I thought that I knew about all of the dangerous chemicals available. :laugh:

This is the stuff:Carbon off.

One of the guys who works at my local Smart & Final, who knows how I am always experimenting with roasting and scorching stuff in my outdoor cooker, happened to mention they had a new cleaner for really black, burnt-on goop and brought a can to me.

I tried it and it works. I used it on some really old, crusty, black, steel, sheet pans and they cleaned up beautifully, with little effort.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There are lower priced French ovens that are of better quality than the ones currently coming out of China. You can sometimes find them at discount stores such as TJMax and Marshall's, where you can also find LC seconds (5 qt for about $90) at times. They also have the ones made in China for less.

There is also the Le Cruset factory outlets, with lower prices on seconds (cosmetic imperfections) and I have found even lower-prices on Amazon for firsts...if you are willing to wait for them to appear and do not find it important to have a certain color. When looking at Le Cruset on Amazon, always flip through the various color choices for a piece you want; sometimes one color choice will be drastically cut in price and have a good second piece thrown in for free.

You can also keep an eye out for annual Williams-Sonoma sales when they discontinue a LC color --- prices are slashed; one year I picked up a 9 1/2 qt oval LC for $90.

Richard is right. I have two pieces of LC. The first, a 4 1/2 blue oval I bought at tj maxx for 40 bucks. It was reduced numerous times, its definatly a second( has a ding on the bottom) but works well.

My second( my baby) was a 7 1/2 round red that I got at Amazon on a friday sale. It came with a skinny stove top grill and i made 114.00 ( used a 25$ off coupon). I also have a staub small round cast iron( not enamaled) that came with a trivitt. Bought at tj maxx for 16 bucks. That was a true bargain.

When I checked out the Target enamel cast iron Dutch ovens last year, I noticed they were marked oven safe only to 350 degrees F. That's fine for braising -- but i have a few recipes where I go above 350 degrees F, so I passed. It looks like the plastic knob could be the problem.

That said, they are attractive and look sturdy, and if I we're only going to use them around 300 degrees F, I'd buy one in each color. :raz:

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

When I checked out the Target enamel cast iron Dutch ovens last year, I noticed they were marked oven safe only to 350 degrees F. That's fine for braising -- but i have a few recipes where I go above 350 degrees F, so I passed. It looks like the plastic knob could be the problem.

That said, they are attractive and look sturdy, and if I we're only going to use them around 300 degrees F, I'd buy one in each color.  :raz:

Can you wrap the plastic knob in wet washcloth and tin foil? Or just tin foil alone? Or is that just some myth that I've always heard?