• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilled Zucchini & Butternut Squash

Blondelle

I love crumbled thyme, oregano, sage or, surprisingly enough, dried mint with squash.

If you want a bit of kick (and I often do) add a few pinches of ground chilis or red pepper flakes.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Quarter a butternut squash, scoop out the seeds (keep the skin on). Chop up 3 to 4 garlic cloves, sprinkle with about 1 tsp. kosher salt and mash into a paste. Mix garlic with about 1 tsp. ground cumin then add about a tablespoon of olive oil. Rub this all over the flesh of the squash. Grill. Yum.

~Amy

My favorite for zucchini is mint. And because the flavor of zucchini is quite delicate, I think parsley is also a good match.. or a kind of gremolata-like mixture.

For squash, rosemary and thyme or any of the wintery spices.. nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cloves.. Also very good: chipotles.

dukkah... it's a middle eastern blend.. they also sell it w/bread out of carts.

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

zucchini: salt, pepper, garlic, marjoram, rosemary (but not necessary all at once)

butternut: salt, pepper, nutmeg, ginger, chinese 5-spice powder

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau