• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat Guy in Profile

Jinmyo

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

What a most beautifully written and incredibly interesting article which focuses upon Fat Guy's past and present with enticing peeks into his future:

publishing his first book, and selling his second, the humorous The Fat Guy’s Manifatso. He hopes to continue like that for a while, alternating serious projects with humorous ones and continuing the transformation of the eGullet site from a forum into a nonprofit public charity advancing the culinary arts with detailed online classes and offline scholarships. Maybe he will collaborate more with wife Ellen Shapiro, a professional photographer and author of four books.
The Fat Guy’s Manifatso?

Where can one purchase this one? :huh:

Who will play the "Ghost of Restaurants Past" in the film, FG? :rolleyes:

more on Steven Shaw from QuadCities Times ...

Chefs, restaurateurs and food lovers pay attention to his Web site, formally known as eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. Launched in 2001, it chalks up more than 3 million page views per month. There are more than 16,000 registered eGullet members on six continents, but Shaw estimates that the daily traffic is at least five times that number.

The site includes a number of regional food boards for restaurant discussion, regular Q&A interviews with culinary bigwigs such as the Food Network’s Alton Brown, a free cooking school, a recipe database, and threads with such goofy topics as “Food Pronunciation Guide for the Dimwitted.”

Cool! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Good reading. Thanks for the link.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Where can one purchase this one?  :huh:

Yeah....where?

(insert echo) great article on our very own FG....

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

It was a fun piece to be involved with -- the writer, Kevin Foley, was terrific and really took the time to get inside the subject matter. Vermont Quarterly (we all call it VQ) is the alumni magazine for the University of Vermont, my alma mater -- it's one of the best magazines of its kind, because it's not particularly oriented towards alumni association goals and the production and literary values are unusually high. It has been especially fun to be contacted by so many old friends from college in the wake of this piece's publication.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Of all of the press releases about the book and you, FG, this one was the warmest and most interesting, in my opinion .. can you tell us a bit more about the upcoming The Fat Guy’s Manifatso? Very anxious to hear some of your thoughts ... thanks!

I'll tell a little bit here, and then when there's an official announcement from my publisher we can start a separate topic for the impending book.

The Fat Guy's Manifatso (working title) grows out of the essay series I did for Salon several years ago, beginning with the piece I wrote called "Fat Guys Kick Ass." It's going to be published by Bloomsbury USA, a great boutique publisher known for taking risks (they published Kitchen Confidential, for example). It's a funny book, yes, about the joys, trials and tribulations of being fat, but it's also a serious book that makes the point that it's better to be fat and happy than thin and miserable. Some of it will be personal essays, some will be more journalistic such as a close look at the facts and fallacies of the so-called obesity epidemic, there will be some hardcore debunking of diet theology and some will be opinion, inspiration, what have you. It should be fun. I'll be done writing it, I hope, in March and it should come out at the end of 2006.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Having had the pleasure of reading just a few of the Salon pieces by you, I can tell you that I anticipate the appearance of this upcoming book with much enthusiasm! Clearly, from your description above, this book will be most timely and decidedly welcome.

Thank you for sharing some of that with us here!

http://www.uvm.edu/vtquarterly/vqfall05/shaw.html

They left with a few bottles of wine, one of which they opened with great fanfare back at home. “The stuff was horrible!” Shaw recalls. “I thought they ripped us off and we put the rest away and forgot about it.”

But once Shaw discovered that the wine — which smells like a weird combination of sherry and plonk Chardonnay — does something magical to mushrooms, he uncorked the dusty bottle and froze the contents into ice cubes to be dispensed like pharmaceuticals, one by one.

Better information on this site in the France forum. The wine is much appreciated for drinking, but also for cooking morels, chicked and even lobster.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1036405

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=60211

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=787416

... if you want to eat “sophisticated” preparations of lobster, head to Arpege for his whole lobster in vin jaune and turnips preparation, ...
WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

I'll tell a little bit here, and then when there's an official announcement from my publisher we can start a separate topic for the impending book.

The Fat Guy's Manifatso (working title) grows out of the essay series I did for Salon several years ago, beginning with the piece I wrote called "Fat Guys Kick Ass." It's going to be published by Bloomsbury USA, a great boutique publisher known for taking risks (they published Kitchen Confidential, for example). It's a funny book, yes, about the joys, trials and tribulations of being fat, but it's also a serious book that makes the point that it's better to be fat and happy than thin and miserable. Some of it will be personal essays, some will be more journalistic such as a close look at the facts and fallacies of the so-called obesity epidemic, there will be some hardcore debunking of diet theology and some will be opinion, inspiration, what have you. It should be fun. I'll be done writing it, I hope, in March and it should come out at the end of 2006.

Now this sounds like a book that I will really enjoy getting into. Right on, fellow rebellious fat person! :biggrin:

P.S. I was thinking of the famous Hitchcock profile cartoon too ...

Very nice profile. But why didn't the magazine give the writer a byline?

It's there in the print version. I don't know what the glitch was with the online production of the piece.

The Fat Guy's Manifatso (working title) grows out of the essay series I did for Salon several years ago, beginning with the piece I wrote called "Fat Guys Kick Ass." [...]

As the owner of a firm pot belly, I await this book with anticipation.

I'll probably read it while eating cheese.

:smile:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

When a car breakdown trapped him in Utah over a long weekend, Shaw became a reluctant Olive Garden regular. Through friendly chats with the staff (and a focus on bread sticks), Shaw was able to divine the Italian chain’s best dishes, and avoid its worst.

Okay - spill the beans. Seemingly, every other woman I date for any extended period of time is a big fan of Olive Garden and I get dragged along on occasion. Apart from the breadsticks and salad - what to order? And which dishes to be sure I avoid?

Seemingly, every other woman I date for any extended period of time is a big fan of Olive Garden and I get dragged along on occasion. Apart from the breadsticks and salad - what to order? And which dishes to be sure I avoid?

Th answer to your first and last question is "anything Alfredo" depending upon the location ... and wanting garlic anything is not reality ... :hmmm:

Now, back to the topic of Fat Guy's book ... :biggrin: