• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

4-inch Cake boards

Pam R

I've been on a search for a while for the small rounds that individual desserts are sold on. I don't know if I'm calling them the wrong thing when I search... but I just can't find them. I'm talking about the thin boards that have a little flap on the side for lifting them. The cheesecakes and cakes are all mini - averaging 4". I've checked with all of my local baking and paper suppliers - none of them have them.

I'm at a loss - I re-open in a couple of weeks and would like something for these desserts to go on in the showcases. I've seen them in other cities, anybody have any sources?

Thanks,

Pam

Qualita out of California carries them - don't know if they have a website but their number is 1-800-611-4010

Also try Regency Wraps, Inc. out of Dallas - 214-357-0099

They both carry the same ones --single portion cake boards with tab (round, gold) 4" Item #K-ITTTABRD10G

They also have various other sized round ones from 1 1/8" to 4", oval, square, and assorted - hexagon, octagon, triangle, tear, hearts.

Hope this helps.

Karen

I've seen them referred to as "mono" boards; I've bought them at Unger, and at Pfeil and Holing (www.cakedeco.com). I got 4" round boards with no tab from Novacart, though. The others have the tab on them and are available in different shapes (heart, hexagon, square...)

Qualita out of California carries them - don't know if they have a website but their number is 1-800-611-4010

Also try Regency Wraps, Inc. out of Dallas - 214-357-0099

They both carry the same ones --single portion cake boards with tab (round, gold) 4" Item #K-ITTTABRD10G

They also have various other sized round ones from 1 1/8" to 4", oval, square, and assorted - hexagon, octagon, triangle, tear, hearts.

Hope this helps.

Karen

I knew I'd been looking at them recently but couldn't remember what site. Here's Qualita's site.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

its possible that even though you say its cardboard it might also be reffered to as a cake plate

It could be :biggrin: . That could be why my search hasn't turned up anything.

Thanks so much for all of the ideas, links and numbers. I'm going to check all of them out and see what I can do. In a couple of hours you've all helped me get much further than I got on my own in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

its possible that even though you say its cardboard it might also be reffered to as a cake plate

It could be :biggrin: . That could be why my search hasn't turned up anything.

Thanks so much for all of the ideas, links and numbers. I'm going to check all of them out and see what I can do. In a couple of hours you've all helped me get much further than I got on my own in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

I order my boards from these folks: Edge Vantage - Boards for Better Baked Goods!

I order my boards from these folks: Edge Vantage - Boards for Better Baked Goods!

Hmm... I emailed them a few months ago. The problem with this company is that they told me I needed to order a min. of $1000 worth of boards every 1-2 months. That's a hell of a lot of boards. But they do seem to have some of the boards I'm looking for.

I emailed a couple of the other companies last night - we'll see about shipping to Canada.

Edited by Pam R (log)

Hmm... I emailed them a few months ago. The problem with this company is that they told me I needed to order a min. of $1000 worth of boards every 1-2 months. That's a hell of a lot of boards. But they do seem to have some of the boards I'm looking for.

I emailed a couple of the other companies last night - we'll see about shipping to Canada.

Most of the other vendors listed sell the Enjay boards so you don't have to buy directly from Enjay Converters (even though they are in Canada!)

look at amazon under architec "the gripper". these are the best because they "grip" to your surface, no need for a towel. for some reason my cut & paste isn't working but that's another forum.

www.adrianvasquez.net

yeow.

Have you tried Pfeil & Holing?

www.cakedeco.com

I actually placed an order with Qualita Paper today - just to get me started (their minimum order is $50 - much betteR). I also got a phone call from the Novacart sales rep in Canada who will be in Winnipeg in a week or so and will come in to see me.

Thanks so much for the help everybody. In addition to my 4" boards I ordered all sorts of other things that I'm oddly excited about. My new store is finally shaping up. :biggrin:

Thanks so much for the help everybody. In addition to my 4" boards I ordered all sorts of other things that I'm oddly excited about.  My new store is finally shaping up.  :biggrin:

How exciting! I only wish I were in Winnipeg! But I'm telling my mother to drive by in a couple of weeks, and pop in if you're open. She's hoping for some pavlova or chiffon cake or something yummy like that...do you do baba au rhum, by the way? Winnipeg is in dire need of decent baba, and you could use your new 4" boards for individual-sized ones!.

How exciting!  I only wish I were in Winnipeg!  But I'm telling my mother to drive by in a couple of weeks, and pop in if you're open.  She's hoping for some pavlova or chiffon cake or something yummy like that...do you do baba au rhum, by the way?  Winnipeg is in dire need of decent baba, and you could use your new 4" boards for individual-sized ones!.

Tell her to give us 3 weeks! :wink:

My mother keeps telling people we'll be ready in 2 weeks... I keep adding 'or 3'. The plumber is coming next week to finish up, so we're getting there.

at the moment I'm not doing a baba au rhum, but that doesn't mean I won't be. hopefully I'll be able to get into the kitchen by Monday and start doing some prep work and experimenting.

:biggrin:

Edited by Pam R (log)

I actually placed an order with Qualita Paper today - just to get me started (their minimum order is $50 - much betteR).  I also got a phone call from the Novacart sales rep in Canada who will be in Winnipeg in a week or so and will come in to see me.

Thanks so much for the help everybody. In addition to my 4" boards I ordered all sorts of other things that I'm oddly excited about.  My new store is finally shaping up.  :biggrin:

With a $50 minimum does that mean they let you buy partial cases? If they do, I imagine it's a bit more expensive but that would make it more managable for me. I don't need 50-million of something, but I would like a few to try.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

With a $50 minimum does that mean they let you buy partial cases? If they do, I imagine it's a bit more expensive but that would make it more managable for me. I don't need 50-million of something, but I would like a few to try.

I'm not sure about the partial cases - but they are very good about replying to emails - just fill out the form on their site and they'll get back to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Less than a week after I placed my order with Qualita Paper, my boards arrived. Very happy with the products and service.

On Monday the Canadian rep from Novacart stopped by with some samples (including all those cool paper cake/tart pans).\

Thanks for the help everybody. The first 4" desserts were in our showcase today.

Good news Pam. Any chance you'd share a photo of your new product line..........I'd love to see what you do?

Absolutely - but it'll have to wait a couple of weeks. I didn't have my camera at work today, and I'm leaving in the morning for a 10-day trip. When I get back I'll take some pictures and post them.