• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoagies, Cheesesteaks, Pork Italiano

KatieLoeb

Since we talk so much about the embarrassment of riches that Philadelphia brings to the sandwich board, I thought it high time we start documenting (in one place) all of our glorious sandwiches.

Here's what I had for lunch yesterday...

gallery_7409_476_27276.jpg

gallery_7409_476_33438.jpg

The Chickie's Veggie Special. Baked eggplant, roasted red peppers, sauteed broccoli rabe and sharp provolone. Doesn't get any better than this.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Since we talk so much about the embarrassment of riches that Philadelphia brings to the sandwich board, I thought it high time we start documenting (in one place) all of our glorious sandwiches.

I guess left-over banh mi wrappers don't count, huh?

We did Phó Ba Le Sunday night before a marathon grocery run at Huong Vuong (sp.?).

I once had the perfect timing of walking into DiBruno's Pronto just as they were taking a pig out of the oven. I had every intention of getting a basil/mozz panini until I saw the pig. Roast pork, rabe, provolone with the bonus of crispy pork skin mixed in with the pork. Damn, my stomach is growling just thinking about it.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Bahn Mi definitely counts, although I don't think of it as a uniquely Philly sandwich.

Keep the pictures coming...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The first of Mummer's suburban sandwich spread.

A cheesesteak hoagie from Mama's Pizzeria on Belmont Avenue in Bala-Cynwyd.

gallery_8050_1946_11231.jpg

There's a lot of meat, cheese and some hidden fried onions on that baby! Best eaten there or only a few minutes away. (Not minutes away in the Zaberer's sense.) :cool:

Business must be good at Mama's. They're open for lunch only on Tuesdays, lunch and dinner Wednesday thru Saturday. They close at 9, as I recall.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Mummer's suburban sandwich spread, part two.

Dakota Pizza Company is in Wynnewood next to Whole Foods.

This is a half a Cheese Steak Italian. Prolly dropped the ending vowel when it moved to the suburbs.

gallery_8050_1946_33668.jpg

I was too hungry to get my camera, so I used my phone. It was sharper on my tongue.

It has aged prov, greens and roasted peppers. I liked the seeded roll, too! The menu says rabe, but I said spinach. I'll have to do more resarch. Sadly, Dakota doesn't offer roasted pork.

Wow. 2 cheesesteaks 2 days in a row.

How's your cholesterol, Charlie?

These cheesesteak photos are from my archives, Rich.

Thanks to statins, my numbers are such that I can eat cheesesteaks on consecutive days if I'd like.

I say, "Doc, with these numbers, may I stop taking meds?"

She says, "No, the numbers show that the meds are working."

Since I put on my Pig Pickin' shirt this morning, I've been jonesin' for some pork.

In my neighborhood, I find a Wawa Hot Roast Pork Hoagie acceptable.

gallery_8050_1946_19687.jpg

I add reds because Wawa doesn't have greens. You can see a roasted pepper and ordinary provolone under the stage left tomato. I often add lettuce, but I knew I'd be taking a picture today.

But Wawa's pork chunks are a facsimile of a real Pork Italiano.

And maybe somebody knows where to get one out here.

The Pepper and Egg hoagie gets no respect!

I guess it's because they require a grill, while most hoagies are made with cold ingredients.

Here's the version I get on occasion from George's food cart at 23rd and Chestnut.

gallery_8050_1946_28332.jpg

George doesn't have this on his menu, but it's what I get when I ask him for eggs.

This one has fresh mushrooms, onions and tomatos as well as sweet peppers mixed into the eggs that he cooks on the grill. Since he has a heavy hand with the vegetables, he'll make it with 4 eggs. I asked him to put provolone on this one, too, just to be sure that my statins are working.

Great sandwich!

This is the steak I eat most often. It's also from George's food cart at 23rd and Chestnut.

He puts fresh mushrooms, onions and tomatoes on the grill with some sweet peppers, then puts the steak on top. This creates a sweet liquor that becomes great drip when you eat it. The cheese keeps the roll from falling apart.

gallery_8050_1946_25680.jpg

(Mmmm! I didn't get a picture until it was half gone.)

This is the steak I eat most often.  It's also from George's food cart at 23rd and Chestnut.

He puts fresh mushrooms, onions and tomatoes on the grill with some sweet peppers, then puts the steak on top.  This creates a sweet liquor that becomes great drip when you eat it.  The cheese keeps the roll from falling apart.

gallery_8050_1946_25680.jpg

(Mmmm!  I didn't get a picture until it was half gone.)

Could this be the same George who had a hotdog cart at 15th & Walnut in the late 70's/early 80's? I used to work in the building that now houses Striped Bass and George had great hotdogs.

No pictures, but on Monday at the Reading Terminal I tried a DiNic's beef brisket sandwich. Tender brisket served on a roll in a spicy tomato sauce. very good sandwich, but the pork sandwich still better.

No pictures, but on Monday at the Reading Terminal I tried a DiNic's beef brisket sandwich.  Tender brisket served on a roll in a spicy tomato sauce.  very good sandwich, but the pork sandwich still better.

The Inky has a pic with Rick Nichols' quick review here. He and Gary agree about pork.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I don't have a standing reservation at StudioKitchen, I eat sandwiches.

This is a Pescara from Primo's - Center City West. Great sandwich!

gallery_8050_1946_390853.jpg

It's two small cans of what they call "Italy brand tuna" with roasted peppers and sharp provolone. As you can see, there's some oil and oregano there. I :wub: the Sarcone's roll.

Here's an Old Italian, also from Primo's Center City West.

gallery_8050_1946_6667.jpg

Sharp provolone, proscuitto, and dry cured capacola. My choices - oil, lettuce, tomato and sweet peppers.

Here's an Old Italian, also from Primo's Center City West.

gallery_8050_1946_6667.jpg

Sharp provolone, proscuitto, and dry cured capacola.  My choices - oil, lettuce, tomato and sweet peppers.

When I was working a block or so away from Primo's (Commerce Square), the Old Italian was my fav! Thanks for reminding me, Charlie. Gotta go back!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Ain't it grand that you can get a sammie with fresh mozz here?

Primo's calls this a Sulmona, with Genoa salami and a two halved pepper poppers - marinated cherry peppers stuffed with sharp provolone and prosciutto. You can see them peeking out between the mozzarella rounds.

gallery_8050_1946_14324.jpg

so maybe it's not philly and maybe it's not pork italiano, but i needed to share my sandwich de pernil (seasoned pork sandwich with fried onions) from La Cena Grille in downingtown. i don't get there often enough, but it, by far, one of the finest pork sammiches around (and that means a lot coming from a jewish girl). :)

69770670_aa293b6422.jpg

the outside

69770674_e9c94117c3.jpg

the inside

69772624_7db3f3daa8.jpg

with plantain chips and hot sauce

mmmm!!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

so maybe it's not philly and maybe it's not pork italiano, but i needed to share my sandwich de pernil (seasoned pork sandwich with fried onions) from La Cena Grille in downingtown.  i don't get there often enough, but it, by far, one of the finest pork sammiches around (and that means a lot coming from a jewish girl). :)

69770670_aa293b6422.jpg

the outside

69770674_e9c94117c3.jpg

the inside

69772624_7db3f3daa8.jpg

with plantain chips and hot sauce

mmmm!!

That sandwich sure looks good. How is the non-sandwich fare there?