• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoagies, Cheesesteaks, Pork Italiano

KatieLoeb

i think i've seen boxes from liscio's there.  in fact last time i was there, i specifically took note, but now i'm suddenly unsure of my memory.  does that spark yours?

Roll call....

DiNic's uses Cacia's rolls.

Tony Luke's claims to bake rolls on the premises.

John's Roast Pork uses a seeded roll from Carangi's for large sandwiches, and a kaiser roll for the smaller sandwich.

George's on 9th Street uses Sarcone's and Vilotti.

Chickie's Italian Deli uses Sarcone's bread for the large hoagie Tuesday through Saturday; Vilotti bread is used for large hoagies on Mondays, and for small hoagies all week.

Pat's uses Vilotti rolls for the pork sandwiches.

Maria Gallagher

Thanks Spikemom for the information about who uses which rolls. So many conversations and threads I've seen discuss who makes the best cheesesteak. Beyond that, I know that shops and customers have preferences about the breads too. It's another dimension that is usually not realized outside Philly.

Like here in the DC area where the version of roll call goes something like this:

http://www.rollcall.com/

:biggrin:

The Liscio's near me (Egg Harbor Rd in Sewell) has a full line of baked goods that includes their excellent rolls, plus pizza and strombolis, also cakes and pastry, and a full service deli, plus a cheese case featuring pre-packaged favorites from DiBruno's, also P & S pastas. When South Philadelphians leave the hood, they head over the bridge to Washington Twp.

i think i've seen boxes from liscio's there.  in fact last time i was there, i specifically took note, but now i'm suddenly unsure of my memory.  does that spark yours?

Roll call....

DiNic's uses Cacia's rolls.

thanks spikemom--you're right of course. i totally saw the cacia's boxes and took note, because it made sense and i'd been wondering, and then when i went to post i second and third-guessed myself until i wasn't sure at all anymore. you might say to yourself, why post then? i don't know the answer to that one.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Cross-posted in the RTM thread, but I figured the pics belonged here too...

Special Italian Hoagie

gallery_23992_3603_8057.jpg

Grilled Chicken with Broccoli Rabe and Fresh Mozzerella

gallery_23992_3603_24251.jpg

Both from Carmen's Hoagies in the Reading Terminal market.

(rolls from Liscio's)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I stumbled across a surprising sandwich at the West Chester Restaurant Festival: a Beef on Kimmelweck

gallery_23992_2151_53427.jpg

This was a very good version, featuring better-quality beef than most I've had up around Buffalo NY, where they originated, but it was otherwise very authentic: wet with jus, served with horseradish.

They were being served up by The Whip Tavern in Coatesville. The chef said he gets his rolls from Wegmans, after a smaller, independent baker couldn't keep up, but they make a pretty good version of the roll, so that's no problem. It's on their regular menu, both lunch and dinner, and the chef says he's selling a ton of them.

All in all, an excellent sandwich, and perhaps not native to this area, but it's great to know one can get one around here.

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

• 5 weeks later...

Got my "usual" from Rustica (Northern Liberties) today... Tartufo cheese steak (w/truffle cream) and an order of their arancine risotto balls...

rustica.jpg

Although I'm not 100% positive, I think they use Sarcone's bread for their sadwitches. It was a good way to forget about the Eagles game :raz:

__Jason

Does that thing taste as good as it looks?

Lets see... take a pretty good cheese steak, and then add the one ingredient that seems to make everything taste even better - truffle. What do you think? :biggrin:

This tartufo/arancine combo is one of my favorite guilty pleasures anywhere. Has been since Rustica added the sadwich to their menu a while back.

EDIT: BTW, they also put a tartufo pizza on their menu... white pie w/steak, carmelized onions and truffle cream. I haven't tried it yet...

__Jaason

Edited by guzzirider (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I stumbled across a surprising sandwich at the West Chester Restaurant Festival: a Beef on Kimmelweck

gallery_23992_2151_53427.jpg

This was a very good version, featuring better-quality beef than most I've had up around Buffalo NY, where they originated, but it was otherwise very authentic: wet with jus, served with horseradish.

They were being served up by The Whip Tavern in Coatesville.  The chef said he gets his rolls from Wegmans, after a smaller, independent baker couldn't keep up, but they make a pretty good version of the roll, so that's no problem. It's on their regular menu, both lunch and dinner, and the chef says he's selling a ton of them.

All in all, an excellent sandwich, and perhaps not native to this area, but it's great to know one can get one around here.

More "Beef on Weck".

So... here I am, holding onto some "ends" of the prime rib I made for a New Year's Eve dinner party and wondering what to do with them. Well, I'm from Buffalo, so it didn't take long to work this one out. :biggrin:

Stopped off at Wegman's for some kimmelwecks, and bingo... there you have it:

gallery_18540_4077_67587.jpg

The meat could have been thinner, but I don't have a slicer, so that's hard. You may say, "Hey... not as much meat as on philadining's photo," and you're right... but I made 2 of these! Also, my jus was made with red wine and rosemary... I think it had a bit more flavor than the typical WNY offering. I suppose the fact that it was aged prime rib didn't hurt either! :rolleyes:

__Jason

Jason, that looks like a great sandwich!

I'd posted in the NY forum that the news was reporting that the inauguration of the Governor featured an array of NY foods, including a Beef on Weck from Charlie the Butcher. So between you and Governor Spitzer, I've got these sandwiches on the brain... might have to hit Wegmans for some rolls!

philadining.com

You know... I lived most of my life in WNY (moved to PA 10 years ago this week, actually) and I've *never* eaten at Charlie the Butcher's. I'm going to have to rectify that one of the next times I head back.

With that said... last time I was there I had a Beef on Weck at the Buffalo Brew Pub, and it was definitely one of the best I've ever had. Cherie and I have to make a mandatory visit to BBP every time we go up. Best wings around, as far as I'm concerned... and now I know their Beef on Weck is awesome. Plus, great beer... and they insist that you throw your peanut shells on the floor. I miss that place. I had my own personal mug there, too... in fact, I'm drinking from it as I type this! So, if anyone find themselves in the Buffalo area, be sure to check out the Buffalo Brew Pub for some Buffalo standards, and by all means... try a hunk of their beer bread. And I'll check out Charlie the Butcher's.

But I digress... sorry about the Buffalo tangent in the Hoagie thread!

__Jason

Edited by guzzirider (log)

I finally just noticed this particular post and checked out the NYT article.

While the gist of the article certainly showed our fair city in a favorable light I was mortified at the following:

They went to John's Roast Pork, the Holy Grail of the Roast Pork Italiano, and they ordered a CHEESESTEAK!!!

:huh: Are you kidding me???

Pffffft! Peasant New Yorker tourists! Stooopid travel writers! Gah! :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Remember, Laban's cheesesteak project named it as having the best one in town, and they are awfully darn good!

Still, you have a good point: if I were coming from out of town and only able to get one sandwich there, it would be a Roast Pork Italian.

philadining.com

The obvious answer is to get one of each and share with a friend.

But you just can't miss that pork sammie. No siree.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The obvious answer is to get one of each and share with a friend.

I had a similar dilmena when returning from Austin a couple a years ago.

My sister and I had been to Lockhart for a meat-a-thon during my visit, but I had Texas airport bbq when my flight was mucho delayed and I had to eat something.

Then I was diverted to Memphis by airline demons. What should I find but a local bbq establishment, with a number of airline uniforms in their queue.

I wasn't that hungry, but I asked the right question, "What would Holly do?"

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

For those intrepid souls willing to trek to the western 'burbs, I highly recommend Civera's in Drexel Hill (at State Rd & Lansdowne). Their roast pork sandwich is wonderful, especially with smoked provolone. I got my happy fix last weekend. Yup, I'm good for another 6 months!

Nifty Fifty's has a great chicken florentine sandwich, too. Mmmmmmm!

• 1 month later...

Stopped at Johnny's Hots on Delaware Ave today for a classic Philly Surf & Turf, the hot dog-fish cake combo, with some mustard, ketchup and John's own pepper hash.

Hot dog bliss, I tell ya. Hot dog bliss.

gallery_7403_2789_13673.jpg

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

use the img tags around that url.

dang that makes me hungry. i love that sandwich. but i get so tired trying to convince people from out of town that it's good. people, it's just salt on salt. what could be wrong with that?

dang that makes me hungry.  i love that sandwich.  but i get so tired trying to convince people from out of town that it's good.  people, it's just salt on salt.  what could be wrong with that?

More like salt on mushy salt. It is a good sandwich, no doubt about it, but I can't help but wonder if it couldn't be made better, like with a really crispy fried fish cake.

dang that makes me hungry.  i love that sandwich.  but i get so tired trying to convince people from out of town that it's good.  people, it's just salt on salt.  what could be wrong with that?

More like salt on mushy salt. It is a good sandwich, no doubt about it, but I can't help but wonder if it couldn't be made better, like with a really crispy fried fish cake.

I'm sure John would make it anyway you'd like.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Is there such a thing as a crispy fried fish cake? I've always felt that a fish cake sammie was bread on bread.

I know that there are crab cakes made of crab, but where does one get a fish cake made of fish?

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.