• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decorative Breads

Chris Amirault

using 'dead' dough has the advantage of not rising before or (minimally) during baking. this allows you to create really detailed designs and not worry about them losing definition by the time they're finished.

there are also decorative doughs that are very lightly risen (low yeast percentage) that might work for what you're looking for.

i would recommend using something like a cracker dough (not usually leavened) or a breadstick dough (usually a little harder to work with) to make the edible treats.

Yeah, umm, I just did a little dough with some lime, a jiliion tortillas can't be all wrong, and umm, some honey and water in some stone ground wheat flour.

gallery_19538_2145_311215.jpg

Then just clipped them with scissors. Wonder how hot I should bake at? Slow oven?

Alana, yeah, but if you can get that definition with a live dough, like the definition in the bread with the place for the bottle in it, I guess the difference is just whatever you choose to use? Length of time you want it to last or ???? I mean it's got roses and grapes and wine oh my.

:biggrin:

And I made a real tight snake and made a braided one I really like the braided one. Umm, wonder what I oughta brush on it for a great wheaty effect. Umm, an egg yolk-ish something maybe thinned with milk. I don't have any of the shellac mentioned upthread.

I wonder how I could make them cheesey flavored? Without them spreading or getting weird in the oven.

Maybe umm, bake then brush with something an sprinkle some cheesey do on them?

Slow oven?

The braid is 4.5 inches long, the wheats are 2.5 inches long, very tiny tidbits. I like the looks of both--these are just the rough draft after all. Now I want to christen them with a pleasing flavor. They just amount to a crunch or two in the mouth which is perfect now I need to add flavor.

gallery_19538_2145_704424.jpg

And this is without any wash of any kind.

I think I'm over the cheese stick idea--I'm gonna go with this basic idea plus flavor. Garlic would be easy but not compatible with the other stuff. I guess I need a powdered cheese? Or something.

Oooh oooh, what about just a bit of asiago just to lean it toward cheesiness. But I'd rather have a cheddary flavor...ideas??? A cheese flavored wash?? How would you do that? Cheesey popcorm salt maybe??? Is there sucha thing???

i recently came across a purveyor www.terraspice.com who sells white cheddar powder

Cool cool cool! Thanks. I'm gonna try out some like McCormack cheese sauce powder y'know in the envelopes at the grocery store. Or like umm, the powder you make cheap mac n cheese with. Something powdery cheesey. Wonder if Penzey's got something?

Unfortunately I'm cutting it too close to order online because I want to perfect it now. Wonder if any of our gourmet stores carries that white cheddar powder. I think I've seen terraspice at Fresh Market? Maybe?

The skinny little braid was the bomb! Tasted real good as is in fact. But I feel like I will need to make those last minute-ish or re-crisp them in the oven. Memphis in May is moist if nothing else.

Thanks, Alana!

Ok now I want to make a basket. However from the pictures upthread I am noticing that it's like a flat center with a braided edge and only the braid makes a basket-y looking affect. The braid alone gives it some depth. So probably shaping the bread into a gently curving bowl-ish shape is not a good idea??? Y'know like baking on an upside down pyrex bowl or something? That's probably not a good idea because then you have to add your adornment stuff, roses or grapes or whatever after the bowl bakes and that's not how it's done. Right?

So just make a flat blob of bread then do a fat braid to get some depth to mimic a basket shape???

I'm just using whatever I have in the kitchen...let's see what flies...

K8, take a look at the "photos of bread" thread...Tejon made a really nice braided beehive. she shaped it over a pyrex bowl and took the bowl out after baking. you could invert this and it would be a great base for a basket.

i don't see why you can't add decorations after the fact. you're winging this and the people you're making it for probably don't know much about decorative breads and such. you could always 'glue' things on with royal icing or egg wash or something after you bake the base.

K8, take a look at the "photos of bread" thread...Tejon made a really nice braided beehive.  she shaped it over a pyrex bowl and took the bowl out after baking.  you could invert this and it would be a great base for a basket.

i don't see why you can't add decorations after the fact.  you're winging this and the people you're making it for probably don't know much about decorative breads and such.  you could always 'glue' things on with royal icing or egg wash or something after you bake the base.

Cool. Good. Thanks, Alana.

Yeah, I'm gonna put the little wheaty things in a bread baskety container-ish something that I concoct. Maybe have a centerpiece bread with a coupla smaller baskets or something...if anything should becomes photo-worthy I'll post.

But no news is good news too. :biggrin: