• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kleptos

In the Bone Marrow thread on the NYC forum you say,

Note on marrow spoons: The reason few restaurants offer them is that they are way too pretty--and expensive. People steal them. You'd lose every other one if put on the table.

In your experience, what kind of stuff gets stolen the most?

Is this really why one has to flag a waiter just to get some fresh black pepper?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Steak knives are number one. But if you're silly enough to have nice ones:espresso spoons, espresso cups...God help you if you have nice ashtrays. People will steal anything--just for the fun of it--to furnish their squalid home kitchens, as souvenirs, to fill in gaps in their own flatware and utensils. The amount of stuff lifted is pretty staggering--and breakage--yikes!  I'm sure the top-end places that use expensive china have some great stories of wealthy dowagers trying to pinch crystal snifters, wedgewood plates, silver. You'd be amazed what seemingly normal people do when drunk. But then, maybe not.

abourdain