• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: SobaAddict70 - Of Professional Hobbits and Food

All this artificial stuff can't be healthy, nor can trying to force your body into something other than its natural equilibrium state.

I've also seen work that suggests we have a genetically pre-programmed number of heartbeats.  You may be using them up faster.

With all due respect Jack, many individuals (including myself) are at odds with this statement. All of the food and supplements that I consume are either natural or derived from natural sources. There's hardly anything artificial about whey protein or creatine, so I'm not quite sure why this perception exists. Furthermore, there are studies which have been performed by physiologists and scientists which demonstrate that principles of weight training are beneficial for individuals of all stripes. Click here and here for examples.

However, since this line of discussion has the potential to stray far afield from the scope of this Foodblog, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree for now.

Off to go get breakfast #2.

I actually didn't get up until 8 this morning, so I'll get to the gym in the evening. It's just as well, really, since if I workout in the morning, I tend to want to take a nap around lunchtime. (The effect is quite accelerated on leg/lower body day.)

Breakfast #1 this morning was two scoops of chocolate-flavored whey mixed with a couple of teaspoons of natural peanut butter and a glass of Lactaid. That's 465 calories at 18 g fat, 18 g carb and 60 g protein. I keep a count of all macronutrients consumed each day. It's helpful in tracking caloric consumption so that if I'm behind in terms of weight or mass gain, I can then make the necessary adjustments.

I'm mildly lactose intolerant so I have to consume Lactaid as opposed to regular milk. At work, they don't have Lactaid, so I resort to drinking regular milk. I've tried the pill form of Lactaid but didn't react well for some reason.

I don't know how much people pay for a gallon of milk, but a gallon of Lactaid -- that's two half-gallon containers since the manufacturers don't market Lactaid in gallon jug containers -- costs slightly over $9. At the rate I consume it, a gallon is usually gone in three to four days. :shock:

Really, though, all you need to do to gain the weight is have a child...  :raz:

That's what happened to me! I was skinny as a rail until we had the first one, and after that, well, it's been all downhill. :wink:

more specifically known as the pounds that you put on after the Happy 10 which both men and women gain during the honeymoon period of a marriage/partnership. :laugh:

Is this supposed to be per year? When does it stop?

Wow I thought the culprit was the eG 20, but now I see it must be from my marriage. OK that makes sense. :cool:

Reading you blog Stan, makes me want to try the lactaid drink just to see what it tastes like. What happens if you drink milk?

I don't have any New York restaurants to suggest---never been there, hope to go someday.   But I love this blog, and would like to ask about that second picture up there---did you make something REALLY good with those, or did you just go the easy route and settle for a box of Dragonfoot Helper?

rachel

Almost forgot.

That's a pic of a bowl of chicken feet from the Chicken Feet thread.

They're amazing as dim sum.

I'm not that good a cook that I would dare to cook something like chicken feet at home.

Try them, you'll either like it or hate it....but at least you'll be able to say you tried them. :biggrin:

I can't believe that I have to be away from any computer for the next 6 days, right in the middle of what is shaping up to be the most, er, unusual food blog I've ever read. The blogging and the blogger seem (relatively) normal, but the food is...way out there from anything I know about. I'll be reading up on every shake and supplement the moment I get back. And I'll be looking for photos, preferably of the Speedo variety!

Reading you blog Stan, makes me want to try the lactaid drink just to see what it tastes like.  What happens if you drink milk?

Lactaid tastes just like regular milk, except there seems to be a creamier taste...as if the butterfat/mouthfeel were more concentrated. I don't know why that is. Maybe it's just me.

If I drink regular milk on a regular basis, I spend an inordinate amount of time on the ivory throne.

It's funny, because when I was growing up, my mom always complained that I went through a gallon jug of milk too quickly. It'd be half gone after a day or two. Then one day in my early 20s, bam! I could no longer drink regular milk without suffering some kind of consequence.

Breakfast #2 is six hardboiled eggs (5 egg whites and 1 whole egg), a glass of whole milk and a couple of nectarines.

i've got a question or two for ya Soba........

if your wanting to bulk, why do the cardio, looks like your burning a lot of calories that could be used for growth......

also, why not eat the egg yolks, you need the calories, and the fat in the yolks is a good source......

how much money are you spending every month on supps.........

and what does your weight training split consist of, is it more of a power lifting/ strength split or a body builder split...........

i've done a bunch of this stuff, but for different reasons than yours......

thanks, john

i've got a question or two for ya Soba........

if your wanting to bulk, why do the cardio, looks like your burning a lot of calories that could be used for growth......

also, why not eat the egg yolks, you need the calories, and the fat in the yolks is a good source......

how much money are you spending every month on supps.........

and what does your weight training split consist of, is it more of a power lifting/ strength split or a body builder split...........

i've done a bunch of this stuff, but for different reasons than yours......

thanks,  john

JEL --

Thanks for your reply.

The cardio that I do is primarily for cardiovascular benefit, to be done AFTER a workout session. I usually keep it to 15 to 20 minutes tops on either the bike or treadmill. I'm well aware of the dangers of doing extended periods of cardio while on a bulking diet; hence, why I limit the amount of cardio during any given week.

If I were engaging in a cutting diet, I would do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardio. HIIT has the benefit of boosting metabolism for hours after a session has been completed. It's more difficult than lower intensity cardio and may hinder recovery more as well. However, it's one of the best forms of cardio for fat-burning purposes.

I limit my consumption of egg yolks primarily due to the cholesterol count. I find that I'm able to get other types of fat in my diet, that I can easily do without the egg yolks. I don't know about you but six whole eggs consumed on a daily basis isn't particularly healthy from my standpoint.

As for monthly supplements, I tend to buy my whey powder in bulk. At Large Nutrition is where I get most of my supplement needs. I usually order two tubs of Nitrean at a time and creatine fairly infrequently. I've only just started using ETS in the last two months. I also order when there are sale offerings. On average, I spend about $60 for supplements -- but NOT on a monthly basis. I learned a long time ago that you don't need to spend a huge amount of money on things like whey and creatine. All you really need are LOTS of quality food, LOTS of sleep and CONSISTENT training to be able to achieve results. If you don't want to use whey powder from a supplement manufacturer, you can buy your whey powder in bulk online to the tune of less than $20 (click here for a sample which I googled on the Internet). I would also order dextrose, as a little goes a long way towards improving taste and blood absorption. One tub of Nitrean will last me approximately five to six weeks, while a bottle of creatine will last for more than three months. I patronize At Large Nutrition because their products have proven to be reliable in my experience over a long period of time.

Without delving too much into off-topicality, my current routine consists of mostly compound exercises over a three to four day split. This routine has proven to be quite beneficial both in terms of mass and strength gain, and one I've followed for quite a bit of time with some variations incorporated here and there.

I hope this was helpful.

Really, though, all you need to do to gain the weight is have a child...  :raz:

That's what happened to me! I was skinny as a rail until we had the first one, and after that, well, it's been all downhill. :wink:

more specifically known as the pounds that you put on after the Happy 10 which both men and women gain during the honeymoon period of a marriage/partnership. :laugh:

Is this supposed to be per year? When does it stop?

Wow I thought the culprit was the eG 20, but now I see it must be from my marriage. OK that makes sense. :cool:

Oh no, Lucy, the Happy 10 is in addition to the eG 20. Nice try, but none of us can escape that sordid reality! :wink:

And Brooks, it doesn't stop; rather, it changes. It increases steadily per annum until your children hit the pre-pubescent years, at which time it shifts to an inverse correlation between the age of your child and pounds gained per year versus the pounds you lose from pulling your hair out in frustration at their angst-ridden teenaged defiance. :rolleyes::laugh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Oh no, Lucy, the Happy 10 is in addition to the eG 20.  Nice try, but none of us can escape that sordid reality!  :wink:

And here I thought it was because I'm approaching my mid-30s. (I'll be 35 in less than two months.) :biggrin:

Off to get lunch in a few. Being that it's a Wednesday, it promises to be exciting. Is it just me or do most interesting/good offerings in corporate cafeterias worldwide perk up towards the middle of a week?

I don't think I can take another day of roast beef though.

And here I thought it was because I'm approaching my mid-30s.  (I'll be 35 in less than two months.)  :biggrin:

Stash, let's just get this straight. The years from 30 to 33 are your early thirties, the years from 34 to 36 are your mid-thirties, leaving the years from 37 to 39 as your late thirties. So, you've been in your mid-thirties decline for, oh, 10 months now? Denial will get you nowhere, young Jedi! :raz:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

So far I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but I sure am enjoying it. Add me to the bunch who used to be able to eat anything, anytime - but no more, without buying a new stretchy wardrobe. :hmmm: It's interesting to read about the other side of the equation.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Not bad for a Wednesday...

Lunch was pasta and meatballs -- two rather oversized meatballs composed of ground pork and beef, in a chunky tomato sauce, with linguini that had been tossed in some garlic, EVOO and parsley. Had some eggplant and squash medley, a glass of milk and a piece of fruit.

They were also serving eggplant lasagna. Um, no thanks. :hmmm:

Lactaid tastes just like regular milk, except there seems to be a creamier taste...as if the butterfat/mouthfeel were more concentrated.  I don't know why that is.  Maybe it's just me.

I think it is just you :wink: . I think Lactaid seems thinner to me... and sweeter. I always assumed it was because the sugar is broken down in Lactaid.

Have you tried using the drops rather than the pills? I find the pills are hit-and-miss and don't like relying on them. For some reason I've never tried the drops - but if Lactaid is more expensive than other milk, it may be worth trying them. I avoid this issue by not consuming much milk :wink:

Lactaid tastes just like regular milk, except there seems to be a creamier taste...as if the butterfat/mouthfeel were more concentrated.  I don't know why that is.  Maybe it's just me.

I think it is just you :wink: . I think Lactaid seems thinner to me... and sweeter. I always assumed it was because the sugar is broken down in Lactaid.

Have you tried using the drops rather than the pills? I find the pills are hit-and-miss and don't like relying on them. For some reason I've never tried the drops - but if Lactaid is more expensive than other milk, it may be worth trying them. I avoid this issue by not consuming much milk :wink:

Hm, I don't think I've ever seen the drops. I'll have to look into it.

I also consume vast quantities of other types of dairy products (cottage cheese being a prime example). 1 tub of cottage cheese -- approx. 4 cups worth -- lasts for a couple of days. For instance, I had half a tub last night before bed, and I'll have the remainder tonight. I haven't seen a cc manufacturer that's made them in larger-sized containers. As soon as one appears on the market, I'll be the first one in line.

As far as cottage cheese goes, I prefer Breakstone's over Friendly's any day. I think Breakstone's has a cheesier/creamier taste and has a fresher consistency.

It's around this time that I begin thinking about dinner. I think steak is on the menu tonight.

Question: Does the cottage cheese/canned tuna/Mrs. Dash taste good to you? Or are you eating it just for the protein? (I can't imagine that combination tasting good...or even palatable...*shudder*)  :shock:

You know, it's funny Stash expected this reaction and is getting it. I don't think it sounds bad at all - although I'm more of a Spike fan than Mrs. Dash. I used to eat canned tuna on cottage cheese, and thought they balanced each other rather nicely.

(I suppose now I'll be shown the door, having exposed my odd tastes.) :huh:

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

how much improvement have you seen in the gym.......

are you using freeweights..........

what are you moving for reps on squats, deads and  flat bench..........

I've gone from barely being able to bench 20 lbs. to 105 lbs. in the course of slightly over a year and a half.

I utilize free weights for the most part, yes. Currently bench is at 105 lbs., squats at 125 lbs. and deadlifts at 255 lbs.

I don't want to go too off-topic here; if you'd like more specifics, please feel free to PM me.

Question: Does the cottage cheese/canned tuna/Mrs. Dash taste good to you? Or are you eating it just for the protein? (I can't imagine that combination tasting good...or even palatable...*shudder*)  :shock:

Initially I had the bright idea of trying to combine food in a way to maximize protein intake. Some people I'm familiar with :wink: have on occasion eaten an entire jar of natural peanut butter in one sitting. I'm not like that. :biggrin:

As for tasting good, if you eat something often enough, you can train yourself to like it.

When I'm cooking for myself, my foodie card goes flying out the window.

I toldja people would find this fascinating, Stash! Thanks and keep up the detail!

I think it's more like fascination born of the awareness that there's a cliff and I'm walking backwards with no knowledge of what lies behind me. :wink:

Naw, we're just waiting for the photos. Even in silhouette. "Before" and "after"?

I suppose if I read upthread I'd find out, but I just want to know whether you share the hobbits' passion for mushrooms?

You know, it's funny Stash expected this reaction and is getting it. I don't think it sounds bad at all - although I'm more of a Spike fan than Mrs. Dash. I used to eat canned tuna on cottage cheese, and thought they balanced each other rather nicely.

(I suppose now I'll be shown the door, having exposed my odd tastes.) :huh:

What is this Spike you speak of? I have to look into that.

Lately, I've been on a hot sauce kick. My newest addiction is chipotle Tabasco in addition to the cc/tuna/Mrs. Dash mix.

Naw, we're just waiting for the photos.  Even in silhouette.  "Before" and "after"?

I suppose if I read upthread I'd find out, but I just want to know whether you share the hobbits' passion for mushrooms?

Only if they're sauteed in a TON of butter like what Craft does to morels.

Speaking of Craft, if dinner didn't have the potential to cost over $200 for one person, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

This pic still causes me to drool uncontrollably: