• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Chocolate

Olive Oil King

Depends on the dessert. For brownies I wouldn't hesitate to use Bakers. Really.

But for a pot de creme or chocolate mousse my first choices would be Michel Cluizel or Valrhona.

OO King, have a look at the pastry and baking forum for a ton more answers. These threads should stick to Montreal topics. :smile:

Edited by Lesley C (log)

This was discussed back in the summer of 2003; I doubt the situation has changed much in the interim, however. See here.

Me, I usually buy cooking chocolate (Valrhona in bulk) at Gourmet Laurier, but that's mainly because I'm often in the area.

lesley, you must not like your guests if you serve them bakers

this is not chocolate i cannot believe you would roccmend this when u are a pastry chef!

valhrona or scarffen berger is the best

olive oil king you can get valhrona at olive & gourmando and from the nice guys at les doucers du marche at atwater

it can be expensive here, like everything else good in this city

I have made brownies with Valrhona pure pate de cacao and Bakers. In a side by side tasting, the differences are minimal. And get this, I also use artificial vanilla extract in baked goods.

Bakers unsweetened is always in my pantry (just for brownies) but not the semisweet which really is awful. But if there's one thing I cannot stand it's those bloody Chipits chocolate chips. Major yuck.

And I have news for you about Sharfen-Berger, I hear the company has been bought by Hersheys.

As for Valrhona, I think it would be worth tracking down the distributor (Farinex now, I think) rather than pay those high prices at GL. If you bake enough, that is.

Strange coincidence. I was just looking over farinex web site looking for Valrhona chocolate. Wow! They carry an impressive array of chocolates!

If you read Cook's Illustrated, they also tried brownies with different kind of chocolates, and Bakers did pretty well. However, I would not use it for any other purposes.

I have made brownies with Valrhona pure pate de cacao and Bakers. In a side by side tasting, the differences are minimal. And get this, I also use artificial vanilla extract in baked goods.

ok

depends on what kind of brownies you are used to. i admit that traditional american brownies are made with supermarket grade materials, nothing gourmet and these may taste close to hoime. so maybe a valhrona brownie is not as much appreciated over a baker's brownie.

but if we forget brownies for a moment you cannot compare bakers to valhrona. there is no depth to bakers only a cheap chocolate taste not even as good as candy bars

artifical vanilla extract is not excusable. shame on you! do you also replace real eggs in your baking with powdered eggs or milk with powdered milk

And I have news for you about Sharfen-Berger, I hear the company has been bought by Hersheys.

so? this makes it bad?

to me that is good news. hersheys is a great company committed to making tasty chocolate products. if scharfen berger is going to be the jewel of their crown, good for them. ghiaradelli is also a big producer, commercial, but also great chocolate.

to make great food you need great ingredients. for halloween trick or treat ok maybe you can use fake vanilla esence and bakers franken-chocolate but this is not the real deal.

Strange coincidence.  I was just looking over farinex web site looking for Valrhona chocolate. Wow! They carry an impressive array of chocolates!

If you read Cook's Illustrated, they also tried brownies with different kind of chocolates, and Bakers did pretty well.  However, I would not use it for any other purposes.

oliver oil to answer you original question the best chocolate you can afford is the best for all chocolate desserts

by this i mean real chocolte not the fake stuff

better to support the producers of real stuff than mass producers of junk. to me, bakers is as bad as chipits, MUCH MORE WORSER than ChipsAhoy! in the US which is in fact tasty. bakers is really bland.

for the best desserts stick to the good brands there are so many but the most famous if valhorna

if you find a good source for not expensive please let us know

there was an internet site here in montreal to sell bulk but i lost the link

Cook's Illustrated did a big vanilla extract tasting and they found no difference in baked goods between artificial and the real stuff. So go ahead and toss your money away on the good stuff, but I have bills to pay.

That said, I do use beans for custards, creme anglaise and poaching liquid for pears.

i can agree somewhat with vanilla extract if it is real vanilla extract not the chemicals sold in the supermarkets

these days real vanilla extract is also getting very expensive

it is true that real vanilla bean can become too expensive if you regulrly enjoy baked tastys

i can agree somewhat with vanilla extract if it is real vanilla extract not the chemicals sold in the supermarkets

it is true that real vanilla bean can become too expensive if you regulrly enjoy baked tastys

Williams-Sonoma has a vanilla paste that is pretty good. Its definitely not as good as fresh beans, but beans don't keep very well and good ones are hard to find.

Which brand is the best for chocolate deserts?  This goes out to all you pastry chefs!  :wink:

I am preferrential to Valrhona and El Rey, but Cluizel also makes a very nice product. Callebaut is probably the easiest to find and a good value quality chocolate.

vanilla prices have come down considerably. I just ordered 1/4lb and 1/2lb of vanilla beans from ebay( seller: organic vanilla) for like 12 dollars for both( including shipping). The seller will ship to canada too.

I make my own extract with bourban or vodka.

There is a huge vanilla bean thread( i started it) in the pastry and baking forum.

Surprised no one mentioned Amedei UK Supplier with info I'm afraid

But this is replacing Valhrona as the top Chocolate, there's definetly a premium price. As for a Canadian or American Supplier I would of thought there would be an Italian Importer bringing it in.

As it is the top Chocolate as for a relative price to Cluizel and Taste they are two completly different products. As for my Taste I've got to say I LOVE Valhrona Apamakia but I wouldn't cook with it a Fine Coffee, A Fine Armgnac piece by piece alternating between the 3, and I'm in Heaven.

Yet on speaking to guys from the above Link they would recommend either Amedei or Cluizel believe there favourite is Cluizel, and these guys know there stuff its a passion grown into a business.

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

ok but if we can't get it here PassionateChefDie then it is not a big help to us

you wouldnot cook with vahlrona? it takes on a different smoky flavor

make a warm chocolate torte, drink with a 1967 quinto de noval you will change your mind and your life

ok but if we can't get it here PassionateChefDie then it is not a big help to us

you wouldnot cook with vahlrona? it takes on a different smoky flavor

make a warm chocolate torte, drink with a 1967 quinto de noval you will change your mind and your life

I'm not sure your end I've never Looked. As for cooking No I'd absolutely cook with Valhrona just not single estate Ampamakia firstly I'm not sure it even comes in 3kg blocks. Just 10 pieces working out at 30p a piece and they expect me to give it away :wacko: , I can eat 2 bars in one sitting without even trying.

As for wine suggestion cant say I've ever tried yours but I do know Banyuls with chocolate is another combination that I love. My suggestion was for a pure chocolate and indulgence.

As for cooking out of the 3+ varietys of Valhrona Caribe and Guanja are the 2 I'd use. This comes down to price I'm not fanatic of Amedei. For blending and mixing(Even with a cheaper chocolate) I find these work yet I do appreciate the taste of Amedei. Just believe that should I leave it purer, then I'd probably use Ampamakia if I was going for example, a chocolate pot, or single estate truffle.

Edted it made no sense

Edited by PassionateChefsDie (log)
Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

You can indeed buy Amedei in Montreal. It is available at Les Douceurs du Marche and other outlets. If I am not mistaken, the importer of Amedei is a part owner of Bu.

really?

i have been almost living there since i came back to montreal and those two men never told me this!

i will ask them and try it out

Just under those two men's nose is quite a bit of Amedei chocolate. René should have stuffed a square of 4 minis in your bag some time ago (mini travellers, I call them)...

Import:

Angleo Rindone

Itaca Direct

1-800-518-5333

www.itacadirect.com

and I agree 100% with passionate, Caribe and Ganja all the way for cooking, Amedei straight up only. René will also sell Val in big blocks at a much better price than O and G (last time I checked) just be ready for an answer when he inquires about your chocolate fetishes... mouhahahaha. I think JFL would chime in about the most expensive chocolate in the world but I hear he is extremely busy these days... :huh:

One love huns