• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Agnolotti

Bond Girl

Thanks Johnny!

BTW, how do you sauce these veg based agnolotti? A simple herbed butter (like in Piemonte)

or something else?

Youre Very Welcome!

I cant recall off the top of my head what the sauce was for the celery root ango. I will find out tomorrow when I get in the kitchen. As for the others, the basil ango had a tomato butter ( reduced tomato water, then whisked in butter) with crispy basil, the butternut ango has a sage cream with pecans and crispy sage, forest mushroom ango with a duxelle cream, and the carrot ango was simply with a little buerre monte with parsley.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Word.

Let me know which one you would like. Or all of them if you want.

Butternut squash, please, Chef Johnny. We've got a glut of them here in Devon.

Marc

Sorry about the delay in posting. Ive been away for a week. Back to business.

Butternut Squash Farce for angolotti

Just to start off, at the restaurant we cook the butternut sous vide. If you do not have access to a vaccum sealer, I would suggest roasting the squash.

Peel the squash and seed the bulb end. Slice everything into evenly small pieces. Toast some fall spices, i.e. star anise, cinnamon, black pepper, all spice, cloves, etc. and grind in a coffee mill/spice grinder. Combine squash, spices a little sugar and salt and roughly 1/4 cup EVO in a big bowl and coat. Into the vac bag and sous vide until soft. While HOT, spin in blender and pass through a tamis.

Thats the farce. We use it with Fines Herbs pasta in a sage cream with pecans and crispy sage.

Enjoy.

Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

recommended time and temp for the butternut (I would assume about 180 for 4-12 hours depending on how thick the cuts are)? How sparse should the cloves be in the spice mix, I would think that they could become a little overwhelming if you weren't careful.

85C-ish on the bath?

Zchef, today I tried it at 90C for two hours, perfectly soft and smooth results, I am sure you could go lower temp wise but I wasnt in the mood for experimentation since it was being cooked to break down cellulose....like mushy soft.

Although I did *not* do the spices in the bag like Johnny said......I added them in the food processor during the puree phase. I feel this gives better control of the spice profile and seasoning just as s_sevilla suggested.

Looking forward to making some pasta tommorow.