• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KC Barbecue

bobmac

Does anyone here ever go to Jones BBQ over in KCK? I enjoyed my meal there a while back. Most of the posting are all about the same places, does anyone ever try out newer places that haven't been around forever? Unless that is the only places there.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Does anyone here ever go to Jones BBQ over in KCK?  I enjoyed my meal there a while back.  Most of the posting are all about the same places, does anyone ever try out newer places that haven't been around forever?  Unless that is the only places there.

I still haven't made it to Joe's but there are other places we go if we're in the mood for a particular item that we like there, or for a different style of sauce for a change. I haven't been in years but the chicken at Rosedale used to be a favorite, although I've never cared for any of their other offerings. We like Quick's, too (there is one on Merriam Ln and one on 7th Street in KCK, near Bichelmeyer's).

There is a place on K-32 called Mr. Epp's KC Barbecue that I've been dying to try but we bbq so much that we really don't go out for it all that often. And I think most of the visitors to KC tend to go to the same handful of places that have a rep.

And, to Sandy (but too lazy for a separate reply), I still like Gates - meat and sauce. I don't know if it varies greatly from location to location or if I have just been lucky, but they haven't given me a reason to downgrade them. As always, a matter of taste. And I would throw-in that most restaurants/retail places make food very different from what is desirable in competition meat, so even applying that supposedly "standard" to the equation doesn't really make one opinion more valid that another.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

LC's is my favorite BBQ in the Metro. Hands Down. To me it is what a BBQ Joint is supposed to be. If you want a pretty dining room and flavorless meat go to Jackstack. :raz: I live and work on the Plaza and had high hope when they moved in down here. I was very disappointed. :sad: I still go to LC's when I want BBQ. Oklahoma Joe's is my 2nd favorite. I go to LC's for burnt ends and beans (the best anywhere) and OJ's for pulled pork and fries. Sadly I haven't been to the origanal Aurther B's in years but i always enjoyed it.

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

• 2 months later...

NEWS ALERT!!!! NEWS ALERT!!!! NEWS ALERT!!!!

Okay, you won't believe this. I'm wondering if I'm just the last to find out because everyone I know has been keeping it from me to spare my emotions....

I stopped by Bryant's for a sandwich to-go tonight, and when I got to the front of the line I saw two big signs stating, in no uncertain terms that.............are you ready for this??......

Tipping the countermen is no longer allowed.

WTF?!??!?

For right now I'm going to ignore the fact that I also saw them using a digital scale to weigh out meat back there. One trauma at a time.

When did this happen? Where were our local hacks Chapin and Ferruzza when this bombshell of a story broke? Was I out of town when the emergency broadcasting system blared the news all over the television?

What kind of a world is this when you can't slip a couple of bucks across the counter and get a mega-supersized sandwich in return? Don't those guys have a union with the countermen at Katz's or something?

It's over. The terrorists have won. I don't know about the rest of you, but I blame it all on that goddamn Power and Light District, AND that big shiny tentantless glass donut messiah going in across the street from it. The safe, shiny, corporate homogenization has seeped into the water and made it all the way to 18th and Brooklyn. Now all of the cookie cutter assholes with those bluetooth things hanging off of their ears are safe to stand in line for a sandwich after an awe inspiring show by "Celtic Woman" down at the glass donut......without having to wonder loudly "hey, why is THAT guy getting a bigger sandwich than me! Haven't they heard of portion control? I want to talk to the manager!". It's pure speculation, but it's probably f'ing true. You can't go and upset the natural order of things by breaking the Power and Light zombies from their stupor.

I couldn't tell if the countermen were pissed about it, because hey, they always look pissed. The signs did look pretty new though. No residual grease caked on them yet, and the screws holding them in weren't rusty, so I'm guessing it's a relatively new development.

This will not stand!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

NEWS ALERT!!!!  NEWS ALERT!!!! NEWS ALERT!!!!

Okay, you won't believe this.  I'm wondering if I'm just the last to find out because everyone I know has been keeping it from me to spare my emotions....

I stopped by Bryant's for a sandwich to-go tonight, and when I got to the front of the line I saw two big signs stating, in no uncertain terms that.............are you ready for this??......

WTF?!??!?

For right now I'm going to ignore the fact that I also saw them using a digital scale to weigh out meat back there.  One trauma at a time.

When did this happen?  Where were our local hacks Chapin and Ferruzza when this bombshell of a story broke?  Was I out of town when the emergency broadcasting system blared the news all over the television? 

What kind of a world is this when you can't slip a couple of bucks across the counter and get a mega-supersized sandwich in return?  Don't those guys have a union with the countermen at Katz's or something? 

It's over.  The terrorists have won.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I blame it all on that goddamn Power and Light District, AND that big shiny tentantless glass donut messiah going in across the street from it.  The safe, shiny, corporate homogenization has seeped into the water and made it all the way to 18th and Brooklyn.  Now all of the cookie cutter assholes with those bluetooth things hanging off of their ears are safe to stand in line for a sandwich after an awe inspiring show by "Celtic Woman" down at the glass donut......without having to wonder loudly "hey, why is THAT guy getting a bigger sandwich than me! Haven't they heard of portion control? I want to talk to the manager!".  It's pure speculation, but it's probably f'ing true.  You can't go and upset the natural order of things by breaking the Power and Light zombies from their stupor. 

I couldn't tell if the countermen were pissed about it, because hey, they always look pissed.  The signs did look pretty new though.  No residual grease caked on them yet, and the screws holding them in weren't rusty, so I'm guessing it's a relatively new development.

This will not stand!

Jerry, I'm proud of you. A whole rant and not one meniton of JoCo. Bo Ling's for dim sum and AB's for megasupersize sammiches in the same day? Are you working up for another taco crawl?

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I've been searching past threads for a place said to be better tha Gates and Bryant's. As I recall, the place had an intown location and one on the outskirts. My best guess is it's LC's, but I can find only one location for that. Also, I read some terrible reviews of LC's elsewhere -- greasy, dirty, flies...

an oxymoron: kc + bbq :raz:

from a "true" southerner, pig boston butts, mustard sauce = heaven :wub:

have you ever been there? Edited by bbqboy (log)

NEWS ALERT!!!!  NEWS ALERT!!!! NEWS ALERT!!!!

Okay, you won't believe this.  I'm wondering if I'm just the last to find out because everyone I know has been keeping it from me to spare my emotions....

WTF?!??!?

For right now I'm going to ignore the fact that I also saw them using a digital scale to weigh out meat back there.  One trauma at a time.

When did this happen?  Where were our local hacks Chapin and Ferruzza when this bombshell of a story broke?  Was I out of town when the emergency broadcasting system blared the news all over the television? 

What kind of a world is this when you can't slip a couple of bucks across the counter and get a mega-supersized sandwich in return?  Don't those guys have a union with the countermen at Katz's or something? 

It's over.  The terrorists have won.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I blame it all on that goddamn Power and Light District, AND that big shiny tentantless glass donut messiah going in across the street from it.  The safe, shiny, corporate homogenization has seeped into the water and made it all the way to 18th and Brooklyn.  Now all of the cookie cutter assholes with those bluetooth things hanging off of their ears are safe to stand in line for a sandwich after an awe inspiring show by "Celtic Woman" down at the glass donut......without having to wonder loudly "hey, why is THAT guy getting a bigger sandwich than me! Haven't they heard of portion control? I want to talk to the manager!".  It's pure speculation, but it's probably f'ing true.  You can't go and upset the natural order of things by breaking the Power and Light zombies from their stupor. 

I couldn't tell if the countermen were pissed about it, because hey, they always look pissed.  The signs did look pretty new though.  No residual grease caked on them yet, and the screws holding them in weren't rusty, so I'm guessing it's a relatively new development.

This will not stand!

Have you gone off your meds again Z? :raz:

That is a sad, sad sign, though. I have to agree. I wonder what would happen if you pretended not to notice? D'you think the countermen would refuse a deftly palmed fin? Perhaps the signs and the scale are a ruse to encourage the practice?

Playing ignorant is a role I've spent my whole life preparing for. Maybe I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. They can't really incarcerate you for illegal tipping, can they? I suppose they could ban me for life or something, but I have a closetful of costumes/disguises so unless they've invested in some high-tech surveillance equipment in addition to the evil scales, I think I can fly under the radar.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This made my day.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Have to throw my two cents in (and I can't wait to get back to KC for some barbecue now!)

Favorite - Smokehouse BBQ. Started going to the North Oak location 15 years ago when my family would come to visit my aunt. Great burnt ends and sausage platter. Unfortunately the Shawnee Mission Pkwy location closed so I don't get to this one as much as I'd like. Anyone know how the Zonarosa location is doing?

Favorite that's close to me (when I live in KC) - Jack Stack. My previous comment regarding the beans sums it up perfectly. Plus I think their pork ribs are excellent and one of my best friends is addicted to the cheesy corn.

Off the beaten path - K&M BBQ in Spring Hill. Try the Killer Combo sometime if you feel like busting a gut. Their sliced meats and fries are excellent.

Hayward's - My father-in-law loves them for the onion rings. I thought they were good, but not great.

Gates - Good food, but the attitude puts me off this place. That's supposed to be part of the charm, but I'm not much for it. I would agree that the sauce has a little more sour note to offset the typical KC sweetness.

Oklahoma Joe's - Awesome pulled pork sandwich, but I wouldn't consider them true KC barbecue. They seem to blend some elements of all the styles. Not that this isn't enjoyable.

LC's - Haven't been which will have to change after reading this thread.

Zarda's - Words don't describe how much I dislike this place.

Man, I'm missing KC more and more.

Frog