• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KC Barbecue

bobmac

And I'm sure I will burn in KC BBQ hell for saying it, but I wouldn't tell anyone to hie themself to JS.  Obviously I am in the minority but I am not a fan.

Besides the home-smoked... where do you favor for BBQ outings?

Any response I would give would be very outdated, I'm afraid. We don't go out for 'que as a rule. I have had occasion to eat Fiorella's food frequently as they seem to cater everything I attend (I know, it wouldn't seem like it if their style were to my taste). I should make the rounds again, I guess, but it seems to be such a personal thing that recommendations may or may not be helpful. I know Katie Nell really loves Jack Stack so if she were visiting from out of town and listened to me, she would never have found her cheesy corn :shock: Over the years we've been far more inclined to go to little places no one has heard of than the big 3 or 4. I have been meaning to try Jones BBQ in KCK - the place joiei sneaked-off to without me on his last visit :angry:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

... anybody been to RJ's Bob-B-Que in Mission?

Yes, three times in the couple months since we've been in town, most recently yesterday morning. This is one of a couple posts to compose, so more detail anon, but suffice to say, the Sat and Sun morning country breakfast (two of the three visits) is terrific.

BBQ was quite good, not quite great, though more about my context for that judgment in another post. If it takes me longer to get around to posting, and you happen to go for dinner in the meantime, I'll leave you with this advice: Get the corn fritters.

Thanks Aaron! The reason I ask is that recently, a very good friend gave me a gift certificate to RJ's of a rather generous sum. I need to find a way to spend it all... perhaps Thanksgiving this year will be RJ's!! :laugh:

I don't suppose those corn fritters would be any good after a car-ride back up to the Northland???

I will come up if your buying. seriously, just kidding. lol.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks Aaron!  The reason I ask is that recently, a very good friend gave me a gift certificate to RJ's of a rather generous sum.  I need to find a way to spend it all... perhaps Thanksgiving this year will be RJ's!!  :laugh:

I've heard the food critics on the radio rave about those breakfasts, too. Sounds like you should treat all of us, UE. :cool:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

And I'm sure I will burn in KC BBQ hell for saying it, but I wouldn't tell anyone to hie themself to JS.  Obviously I am in the minority but I am not a fan.

Any response I would give would be very outdated, I'm afraid. We don't go out for 'que as a rule. I have had occasion to eat Fiorella's food frequently as they seem to cater everything I attend (I know, it wouldn't seem like it if their style were to my taste). I should make the rounds again, I guess, but it seems to be such a personal thing that recommendations may or may not be helpful. I know Katie Nell really loves Jack Stack so if she were visiting from out of town and listened to me, she would never have found her cheesy corn :shock: Over the years we've been far more inclined to go to little places no one has heard of than the big 3 or 4. I have been meaning to try Jones BBQ in KCK - the place joiei sneaked-off to without me on his last visit :angry:

I have been busted. It was worth going back to, the folks were very nice and the beans were damn good. I don't remember anything about "Cheesy Corn", Katie Nell, what the heck is that? Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I have been busted. It was worth going back to, the folks were very nice and the beans were damn good. I don't remember anything about "Cheesy Corn", Katie Nell, what the heck is that?

Ahh... it's cheesy, trashy goodness!! I would say it's essentially corn, cream cheese, A-mur-ican cheese, garlic powder, and little bits of ham- it's just plain good! :laugh: It's just something you have to try, at least once!

I guess it's a fair assessment that I love Jack Stack's, but I have to be honest, I mostly go for the cheesy corn!! To be fair, I haven't tried very many barbeque places here- it's not something I crave very often and when I do, I want the corn! I think there's two types of barbeque lovers in Kansas City- those who love places like Jack Stack's and Oklahoma Joe's and those who love places like L.C.'s and R.J.'s- I'm sure I'll be proven wrong. :wink: It's all in what you're wanting to get out of it- if you're all about the sauce or the "falling off the bone", go to OK Joe's or Jack Stack's; if you're all about the smoke ring and real burnt ends, go to L.C.'s or R.J.'s... I think you can tell the difference here without me spelling it out.

Edited to add: And I wouldn't call Jack Stack's beans beans... it's more like meat with a little bit of beans mixed in!!

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

RecipeZaar has a copycat recipe for Cheesy Corn that I made once. It's not the real thing, but when you're 500 miles from KC and have a craving, it will suffice. At least it gives you an idea of what goes into the stuff.

Oklahoma Joe's has been very good (especially the fries) every other time I've been there. I think the guy was just too heavy handed with the seasoning shaker this time. You can't beat the atmosphere - where else can you say you're willing to eat at a gas station? I also like LC's, which I tried after reading recommendations here - I'm not as big on the atmosphere there and get take-out now.

RecipeZaar has a copycat recipe for Cheesy Corn that I made once.

What is "sharp American cheese" and, if it's at all what it sounds like, how do you shred it?

Freeze some kraft singles and cut at right angles. Try not to cut yourself on the "cheese". :laugh:

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

What is "sharp American cheese" and, if it's at all what it sounds like, how do you shred it?

Freeze some kraft singles and cut at right angles. Try not to cut yourself on the "cheese". :laugh:

Very creative interpretation, Mike, but I'm fairly certain sharp cheddar is what's called for in that recipe. :rolleyes:

M.F.K. Fisher

Very creative interpretation, Mike, but I'm fairly certain sharp cheddar is what's called for in that recipe. :rolleyes:

Every couple of years Mike fires off a halfway funny remark. I'll reset my timer for 2008........... :rolleyes:

Talked to my contact last night about Timbers first week of operation, and it sounds like so far they are making a lot more than what they originally projected. Hopefully that trend will continue, I had no idea there were that many craptacular fast food chains right in that neighborhood.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I did manage to swing by Gates last night on my way home from work, they have really drop behind. At least the one on state line anyways, has their sauce become piquant or is it just my taste. :sad:

If you listen to the masses, they have drop [sic] behind. IMHO they have always tended toward the piquant (vs. sicky-sweet molassesy), hence my preference for their bottled sauce over others.

M.F.K. Fisher

What, exactly are "burnt ends?"

I've always thought burnt ends to be the almost charred, crispy on the outside but terribly flavorful and still juicy on the inside trimmings from BBQ brisket.

I just received the holiday mail order catalog from Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ. Pgs. 22 and 23 are dedicated to burnt ends. None of them look like the misshapen and odd-and-ends trimmings of blackened brisket. Instead, they look like cubes of steak and ham that have a carmelized on the outside.

Here's what the little side-bar insert on the page says:

What are burnt ends?

Actually, there's nothing "burnt" about them.  Years ago, Russ Fiorella (Jack's dad) saw folks line up for the trimmed ends of briskets despite their blackened appearance.  Almost caramelized on the outside, these succulent tidbits of seared meat are fork tender and bursting with sweet smokiness of Ozark hickory.

They've got four different types of burnt ends: Beef, Pork, Ham and even Kobe beef burt ends, which sell for $59.95 for two pounds.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I've always thought burnt ends to be the almost charred, crispy on the outside but terribly flavorful and still juicy on the inside trimmings from BBQ brisket.

I just received the holiday mail order catalog from Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ.  Pgs. 22 and 23 are dedicated to burnt ends.  None of them look like the misshapen and odd-and-ends trimmings of blackened brisket.  Instead, they look like cubes of steak and ham that have a carmelized on the outside. 

What are burnt ends?

Actually, there's nothing "burnt" about them.  Years ago, Russ Fiorella (Jack's dad) saw folks line up for the trimmed ends of briskets despite their blackened appearance.  Almost caramelized on the outside, these succulent tidbits of seared meat are fork tender and bursting with sweet smokiness of Ozark hickory.

They've got four different types of burnt ends: Beef, Pork, Ham and even Kobe beef burt ends, which sell for $59.95 for two pounds.

UE:

In the Old days at AB's, you were welcome to reach through the window and pick up all the "End Meat" that had been Sliced off and deemed too rough for sandwiches.. Since you were also welcome to all the pickles, sauce, and bread you wanted, it was easy to construct your next day's lunch for free.

Eventually they caught on to the idea that folks would pay for'em. Now it has mutated to what the catalog describes. Other places always charged, I think.

Snead's always had great burnt ends too, as I recall.

Edited by bbqboy (log)

I just received the holiday mail order catalog from Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ.  Pgs. 22 and 23 are dedicated to burnt ends.  None of them look like the misshapen and odd-and-ends trimmings of blackened brisket.  Instead, they look like cubes of steak and ham that have a carmelized on the outside. 

What are burnt ends?

The "burnt ends" I obtained from Gates was a fine mince of jerky. My cats wouldn't feast on them either. :sad:

What are burnt ends?

The "burnt ends" I obtained from Gates was a fine mince of jerky. My cats wouldn't feast on them either. :sad:

I've always had great experiences with Arthur B's Burnt Ends at the Brooklyn Ave Location.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 5 months later...

As a newcomer to KC (from Phoenix), I dived head first into the BBQ scene. Now it seems I'm almost on an Arthurian quest for the Holy Grail of BBQ, and my SO is getting completely burnt out while I march forward. Here's what I've tried so far, in order of best to worst:

Oklahoma Joe's: I'm somewhat of an ambience snob. It's not that I need low lighting and "modern" art hanging on the walls to enjoy my meal, but I would have never guessed a restaurant in a gas station would be so good, let alone one of my favorites. One thing I'm learning about BBQ is this sort of ambienece is what one should expect from a "good" BBQ place.

I love the meat, the sauce (especially the hot), the sides, and even the pickles and the toast. (But the sausage is unimpressive, yet seems to be enough of a favorite that it's included in two of their combo meals.) I really love their ribs, and I'm not usually a rib fan. What stands out most from OJ's is the sweet smokiness of the meat, which seems more developed and complex than any of the places I've tried so far. Plus, their sauce is a good balance of spices with the right tone of sweetness that doesn't become too cloying.

LC's: A distant second to Oklahoma Joe's, the meat was quite good and the sauce was acceptable. Again, the ambience was terrible (even a bit offensive), but whatever. I enjoyed the burnt ends and the smoke ring was clearly visible and lovely. It earns its place in second purely because of the level of smokiness in the meat. I haven't tried any of the sides yet, nor have I tried any of the other meat selections, so I think I need a couple more goes at it before I form more of an opinon.

Jack Stack's: So yeah, it's corporate and maybe even a bit dumbed down, but the meat is delicious. That's what matters most to me: Meat first, sauce second. The burnt ends are tender, and has enough smokiness to please my love of smoke. Of course the sides are great, but while everyone seems to love the cheesy corn, we weren't very impressed and preferred the cheesy potatoes. I've had both good experiences at JS and bad. When it was good, it was pretty damned good, but when it was bad it made me swear I would never go again.

RJ's & Wyandot: These two are tied in my book. Sides are decent, meat is ok, and sauce is good enough. Overall a little forgettable. Maybe I need to try different things to get a good feel of them.

Gate's: Hated it! Even with the gimmicky "May I help you", the service sucked, especially when said gimmick line is shouted at me three or four times while I'm trying to figure out what to order. Then when I asked for a to-go box, instead of an affirmative response, I got a "What for?" Rude, rude, rude.

Sadly, the meat and sauce didn't make up for it. I got the combo plate, which had ribs, brisket and ham, served with pickles and a stack of Wonder bread (an aspect of BBQ I find repulsive, which is why I like Oklahoma Joe's toast so much.) Ham was ok, but personally I didn't care it was just ham. Brisket, ok. Ribs were good, but overseasoned. The worst part for me was the sauce. The first thing that hit me upon tasting it was an overbearing, heavy handed use of cumin, which is a tricky spice in my book. It can be used synergisitically with coriander or cilantro with great results, but is easily overdone. The whole time I was eating my Gate's BBQ, I couldn't help shaking my head at why someone would want to make cumin so pronounced in a sauce that would have otherwise been ok without it figuring prominently. On top of all that, the prices suck.

A big test for whether a restaurant was good for me or not is if I would ever go back. I would go back to Oklahama Joe's any time, same with LC's. RJ's and Wyandot would be a maybe, but Gate's is an absolutely not!

On my quest, the next destination is Arthur Bryant's, plus a handful of others that are smaller and lesser known. There's a Johnny's near me in Mission, so I figured I'd give them a shot (if anyone is familiar with them, I'd appreciate some input pn whether it's worth a try or not.) I also recently bought an offset grill, so once I figure out the principles of fire management, my own smoking should be on its way!

Edited by corprip (log)

My list of top KC BBQ spots is very similar. I love Oklahoma Joe's - and the ambience plays into that. It's just so cool that there's a really good restaurant at a gas station. It's also about ten minutes from grandma's house (she lives near Loose Park), so it's easy to run over there.

I like the brisket at LC's but I can't handle the ambience there - I always get takeout.

On my last trip, we tried the new Jack Stack on the Plaza, and I didn't like it as much as the Freight House location. Their burnt ends and beans are tops in my book.

I liked Arthur Bryant's for the experience. I will never forget the look on my newly-reformed former vegetarian sister-in-law's face when they slapped a ginormous sausage on the cutting board to make her sandwich. I'm not a big fan of their sauce.

I've commented on it time and time again, but Hayward's has the best beef burnt ends that I've ever had in any restaurant. Their service was also excellent, and the place was nice, relaxed and clean. On top of that, the food was inexpensive and copious.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen this place mentioned in any threads here. It is truly great! No Wonder bread either...Texas toast instead.

Edited by A Patric (log)

As a newcomer to KC (from Phoenix), I dived head first into the BBQ scene. Now it seems I'm almost on an Arthurian quest for the Holy Grail of BBQ, and my SO is getting completely burnt out while I march forward. Here's what I've tried so far, in order of best to worst:

Oklahoma Joe's: I'm somewhat of an ambience snob. It's not that I need low lighting and "modern" art hanging on the walls to enjoy my meal, but I would have never guessed a restaurant in a gas station would be so good, let alone one of my favorites. One thing I'm learning about BBQ is this sort of ambienece is what one should expect from a "good" BBQ place.

I love the meat, the sauce (especially the hot), the sides, and even the pickles and the toast. (But the sausage is unimpressive, yet seems to be enough of a favorite that it's included in two of their combo meals.) I really love their ribs, and I'm not usually a rib fan. What stands out most from OJ's is the sweet smokiness of the meat, which seems more developed and complex than any of the places I've tried so far. Plus, their sauce is a good balance of spices with the right tone of sweetness that doesn't become too cloying.

LC's: A distant second to Oklahoma Joe's, the meat was quite good and the sauce was acceptable. Again, the ambience was terrible (even a bit offensive), but whatever. I enjoyed the burnt ends and the smoke ring was clearly visible and lovely. It earns its place in second purely because of the level of smokiness in the meat. I haven't tried any of the sides yet, nor have I tried any of the other meat selections, so I think I need a couple more goes at it before I form more of an opinon.

Jack Stack's: So yeah, it's corporate and maybe even a bit dumbed down, but the meat is delicious. That's what matters most to me: Meat first, sauce second. The burnt ends are tender, and has enough smokiness to please my love of smoke. Of course the sides are great, but while everyone seems to love the cheesy corn, we weren't very impressed and preferred the cheesy potatoes. I've had both good experiences at JS and bad. When it was good, it was pretty damned good, but when it was bad it made me swear I would never go again.

RJ's & Wyandot: These two are tied in my book. Sides are decent, meat is ok, and sauce is good enough. Overall a little forgettable. Maybe I need to try different things to get a good feel of them.

Gate's: Hated it! Even with the gimmicky "May I help you", the service sucked, especially when said gimmick line is shouted at me three or four times while I'm trying to figure out what to order. Then when I asked for a to-go box, instead of an affirmative response, I got a "What for?" Rude, rude, rude.

Sadly, the meat and sauce didn't make up for it. I got the combo plate, which had ribs, brisket and ham, served with pickles and a stack of Wonder bread (an aspect of BBQ I find repulsive, which is why I like Oklahoma Joe's toast so much.) Ham was ok, but personally I didn't care it was just ham. Brisket, ok. Ribs were good, but overseasoned. The worst part for me was the sauce. The first thing that hit me upon tasting it was an overbearing, heavy handed use of cumin, which is a tricky spice in my book. It can be used synergisitically with coriander or cilantro with great results, but is easily overdone. The whole time I was eating my Gate's BBQ, I couldn't help shaking my head at why someone would want to make cumin so pronounced in a sauce that would have otherwise been ok without it figuring prominently. On top of all that, the prices suck.

A big test for whether a restaurant was good for me or not is if I would ever go back. I would go back to Oklahama Joe's any time, same with LC's. RJ's and Wyandot would be a maybe, but Gate's is an absolutely not!

On my quest, the next destination is Arthur Bryant's, plus a handful of others that are smaller and lesser known. There's a Johnny's near me in Mission, so I figured I'd give them a shot (if anyone is familiar with them, I'd appreciate some input pn whether it's worth a try or not.) I also recently bought an offset grill, so once I figure out the principles of fire management, my own smoking should be on its way!

First off, I'm SHOCKED that you still haven't got to Arthur Bryant's. That would be like going to Philadelphia looking for cheesesteak and saying you haven't got to Pat's yet.

Also funny is that Amazon's linked Arthur Bryant's to a book on taking the MCAT test.

Really...you have to get to AB's. Just for the sake of an accurate comparison.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Welcome to KC, corprip! Sounds like your in a similar situation to me...moved to Mission from Chicago about six months ago.

I wouldn't hurry to Johnny's...that's the worst BBQ place I've been since we got here.

On the other hand, I didn't care for Oklahoma Joe's either...meat seemed pretty bland all around to me, not much smoke, not much spice, and they somehow took the porkiness out of the pulled pork. And the sauce tasted strongly of liquid smoke. The place is held in such high esteem, I'm sure we'll be back.

For other points of comparison, I've greatly enjoyed LC's burnt ends, had a killer meal at Arthur Bryant's a month or so back.

RJ's is tough for me...I really like the place itself. It's so close, the people are friendly, they've got a corner devoted to John Wayne, and they just put in a nice big bar front and center. The BBQ always falls a little short, unfortunately. But it's so close to me, that I'll surely end up there more often than other places. In fact, just last Wednesday I tried the KC Strip special for nine or ten bucks. Surprisingly, a heck of a deal. The steak was quite good, especially at that price. Cooked perfect medium rare, served with a loaded baked potato. A couple Boulevard Pales washed it down nicely. Also, they're country breakfast on the weekends is quite good.

Haven't tried Gates (because of reports like yours) and don't know about Wyandot. I like Jack Stack's okay, but the corporate atmosphere is off-putting to me.

I might recommend you try Woodyard BBQ (linked to more detail). It's close and at least pretty good from a single pass. Others relatively nearby and on my list are Jones in KCK and Rosedale on SW Blvd. A little further afield is Lil Jake's Eat it and Beat It, but you better get there quick as it's being taken down by eminent domain in the P&L District.

Look forward to more of your explorations. Some of us get together once in a while to eat too, but it's a little tricky to navigate on the board, so send me an email or PM if you want to get on the email list. (Same goes for anyone else too, of course.)

First off, I'm SHOCKED that you still haven't got to Arthur Bryant's. That would be like going to Philadelphia looking for cheesesteak and saying you haven't got to Pat's yet.

Especially when you consider that both of them are not the best in town in their respective categories and survive partly on their reputations.

However, neither of them are the worst, either. I really must visit OJ's when next I'm in town. Sounds like my continued regard for Gates' meat is unjustified. I will continue to praise their sauce, which I don't find all that cuminy.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3