• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KC Barbecue

bobmac

I've been searching past threads for a place said to be better tha Gates and Bryant's. As I recall, the place had an intown location and one on the outskirts. My best guess is it's LC's, but I can find only one location for that. Also, I read some terrible reviews of LC's elsewhere -- greasy, dirty, flies...

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

I've been searching past threads for a place said to be better tha Gates and Bryant's. As I recall, the place had an intown location and one on the outskirts. My best guess is it's LC's, but I can find only one location for that. Also, I read some terrible reviews of LC's elsewhere -- greasy, dirty, flies...

an oxymoron: kc + bbq :raz:

from a "true" southerner, pig boston butts, mustard sauce = heaven :wub:

I think this might be the thread you're seeking:

Kansas City, LC's Bar-B-Q

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

an oxymoron: kc + bbq 

All depends on where your from. Give me some good brisket anyday over pork butts. That does not mean that I will not eat good pulled pork, it is just not my first choice.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

an oxymoron: kc + bbq  :raz:

from a "true" southerner, pig boston butts, mustard sauce = heaven  :wub:

Of course it's not Southern barbecue!

That little thing about slaves aside, and pace the Bootheel, Missouri's not a Southern state.

But just as North Carolina ain't Texas or Tennessee, KC barbecue is a thing unto itself. Like the state it's in, it's a crossroads, with a little bit of a lot of different influences thrown in along with the molasses.

And, of course, there's the burnt ends.

--Sandy, 1200 miles away from any good burnt ends. Yes, I'm a native--a piece of my heart will always remain in the Heart of the Nation.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

We just went to Oklahoma Joe's for the first time, and I really enjoyed the pulled pork with the spicy slaw. I thought their fries were excellent, the sausage was great, and the ribs were okay. The beans were okay too.

We've always liked Jack Stack's the best, but I'm a sucker for garlicky, cheesy corn dishes, so I'm biased!

I thought the quality of meat at Arthur Bryant's was terrible and none of the sauces were good, and they have 3!!!

I can't recommend Gate's to anyone anymore... It's just awful now, in my opinion!

Everyone I've ever talked to loves L.C.'s, but we haven't gotten to try it yet. Actually, we were going to try it the other day, but couldn't find the location that Pitch Weekly published, in Lenexa, so we ended up at Oklahoma Joe's!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

http://www.iabbq.org/modules.php?op=modloa...=article&sid=90

http://www.iabbq.org/modules.php?op=modloa...=article&sid=99

Here are a couple of links that explain how Henry Perry and Cue came to KC.

I had heard that the Lenexa LC's had closed. Is that true?

There are a hundred joints around KC, most of which serve cue better than Gates or Bryants.

Try the Woodyard and Smokin' Guns, just to start off with 2 that don't get much publicity.

In KC, it's run what you brung as far as meats. They'll try and smoke anything that moves. lamb & mutton, beef, pork, chicken, etc.+ sausages of various types.

Sliced pork is a more authentic experience, along with ham, than pulled pork, which isn't indigeneous to KC.

Edited by bbqboy (log)

I came through KC a couple of months ago and went to LC's. Yes, the Lenexa location has closed.

My observations: The 'burnt ends' that everybody talks about are wonderful, but I was disappointed in that I was expecting something different and unusual. Although I was thrilled that I found 'Texas-style' BBQ brisket somewhere besides Texas, 'burnt ends' turn out to be just the brown bits of Texas-style brisket cut into chunks. And yes, they were delicious -- as good as Lockhart's brisket, I thought.

Liked the sauce. Not so sickly, cloyingly sweet as is much KC-style sauce.

The place looked clean enough. I chatted with LC at some length, and he wasn't exactly spotless but, what the hey. It IS a BBQ joint after all.

This visit did remind me why I don't like sweet beans with my BBQ. I do like sweet beans as a side with ham slices, or fried chicken, or pork chops, or hot dogs or hamburgers, etc. But with BBQ, I prefer southwestern-style pintos. The sweet beans just taste like more sweet BBQ and I very much prefer a difference in flavors.

Should add that I also had the ribs. They were overdone. Dry and 'burnt' but not in a good way. But no big deal. It happens, you know. Just makes me want to go back and give them another try.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

There are a couple of places in a little town on the southern outskirts of KC just east of the state line called Martin City. First, 135th St. BBQ is my family's hangout. if you go, get the pit plate: a couple ribs, some sliced brisket and burnt ends. If you continue south on Holmes Rd, there is a place called Sneads. The place used to be run by the people who now run 135th St. It is good as well. I agree about Gates & Sons, no reason to go there. We never were fond of the Fiorella establishments.

I agree about Gates & Sons, no reason to go there.

Maybe there's better sauce out there now (haven't been back home since 1987), but I would go there just for the sauce--which is also atypical of Kansas City sauces in being more tangy than sweet.

Then again, I believe you can get Gates' sauce at just about any area supermarket, which saves you a trip to one of their restaurants.

Sauce aside: I recently purchased a bottle of Albertson's "premium" store brand sauce, Essensia, at my local Acme (the dominant supermarket chain in Philadelphia, owned by Albertson's). It came in three varieties: Tennessee, Southwestern and Kansas City. I bought the latter two.

As the brand name is a play on the word "essential," labels for these products include the phrase "What's essential is the..." For the Southwestern sauce, it was chipotle. For the Kansas City sauce? Molasses.

--Sandy, who makes his own Gates'

I'm with you on the sauce...I don't care for cloying, molasses-y sauce and I don't really think of KC sauces as being that way. I guess, when compared to the vinegar they use in NC, but I definitely prefer some tangy heat and, although I can't remember the last time we went to a Gates, it's the brand you'll find in our fridge more often than not (along with some more obscure findings).

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm with you on the sauce...I don't care for cloying, molasses-y sauce and I don't really think of KC sauces as being that way.  I guess, when compared to the vinegar they use in NC, but I definitely prefer some tangy heat and, although I can't remember the last time we went to a Gates, it's the brand you'll find in our fridge more often than not (along with some more obscure findings).

I think Rich Davis may have warped everyone's thinking when his KC Masterpiece sauce was picked up by Clorox and rolled out nationally. I really don't remember the KC sauces of my youth as being as sweet as the ones you see up this way now (the other one I knew well was Grant's, which was sold at the KCK 'cue joint of the same name @ 11th St. and Washington Blvd. owned by friends of the family), but it seems the molasses-y stuff sells well beyond the Heart of America.

But all good Kansas City sauces, even Gates', have a touch of sweetness to them--Ollie's DIY recipe, the one he shared on "From Martha's Kitchen," calls for sugar (I use brown sugar, which is just refined sugar with molasses added, when I make it). It's just that the really good ones kick your taste buds in the pants first before they pour some honey over them.

I loved that Ollie chided her M-ness when she started to add something before he told her to...at the time I first saw that, I was kinda down on her (pre-prison) and I found it amusing that a local was able to 'cow' her.

Yes, a 'touch' of sweetness' (again, as compared to vinegar) but not dessert-like. Have you tried Quik's? It's yummy, too. I am always surprised that none of these threads/reviewers ever mention it. But, as you (or someone else up-thread mentioned) there are probably hundreds -- certainly dozens -- of places in the KC-metro that are never mentioned, but locals flock to them. Maybe better that way? :wink:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Have you tried Quik's?  It's yummy, too.  I am always surprised that none of these threads/reviewers ever mention it.  But, as you (or someone else up-thread mentioned) there are probably hundreds --  certainly dozens -- of places in the KC-metro that are never mentioned, but locals flock to them.  Maybe better that way?  :wink:

You betcha. You don't want all us expats and tourists overrunning the really great places, leaving no room for you to eat. :laugh:

There are a couple of places in a little town on the southern outskirts of KC just east of the state line called Martin City.  First, 135th St. BBQ is my family's hangout.  if you go, get the pit plate: a couple ribs, some sliced brisket and burnt ends.  If you continue south on Holmes Rd, there is a place called Sneads.  The place used to be run by the people who now run 135th St.  It is good as well.  I agree about Gates & Sons, no reason to go there.  We never were fond of the Fiorella establishments.

I went and found the 135th St bbq, it was a bit difficult with the construction and all. I thought the ends and the ribs were pretty good, the ribs were not overcooked, they had just a bit of a tug. The brisket was awful, way overcooked and dry. The beans was probably the best thing I had, flavorful and full of bits of meat. The sauce was pretty good also, it had just a bit of a zing without being too cloying and sweet.

Then I had dinner at 40 Sardines and that was wonderful. Breakfast at Room 39 was also very good. I had the brioche french toast and applewood bacon. I would go back there. Small, nice neighborhood environment with pretty good coffee and adequite service. And I stopped at Dean and Deluca for my sandwiches to go for the trip home. I got the club and the Italian hero.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 1 year later...

Okay, topping what I thought to be the most appropriate thread for this.....

My team catered in a big lunch from Jack Stack today, and I have to say.........damn fine beans! I don't go wild for sides in general, with the exception of a good batch of fries. The brisket "debris" is what makes these great, plus what is probably a good portion of the rendered fat. Has this already been discussed to death, and I'm the last one to find this out? Their corn bake gets a lot of praise, but those beans are righteous!

Edited to say..... Yes, the beans have been mentioned......in the post directly above mine. Lack of sleep is taking its toll.

Edited by Zeemanb (log)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Alas, I have yet to try them beans... *hanging head in shame*

I know, I know, moosnsqrl, "hie me to a JS for some beans." :wink:

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Alas, I have yet to try them beans...  *hanging head in shame* 

I know, I know, moosnsqrl, "hie me to a JS for some beans."  :wink:

OK, so I used Old English for emphasis ONE TIME and now it has become my lingua franca?

Jeez, UE. . .

And I'm sure I will burn in KC BBQ hell for saying it, but I wouldn't tell anyone to hie themself to JS. Obviously I am in the minority but I am not a fan.

M.F.K. Fisher

And I'm sure I will burn in KC BBQ hell for saying it, but I wouldn't tell anyone to hie themself to JS.  Obviously I am in the minority but I am not a fan.

Besides the home-smoked... where do you favor for BBQ outings?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I live for Jack Stack beans and cheezy corn.

The most exciting news I heard on my last trip to KC was that there is a Jack Stack opening on the Plaza (my husband's grandmother lives near Ward Parkway and W 57th, so that's just down the road).

We had lunch at Oklahoma Joe's - I was disappointed because my fries were too salty. But the smoked turkey was pretty good and I love their spicy sauce.

I live for Jack Stack beans and cheezy corn.

The most exciting news I heard on my last trip to KC was that there is a Jack Stack opening on the Plaza (my husband's grandmother lives near Ward Parkway and W 57th, so that's just down the road).

Well, your grandmother-in-law can walk down to the Jack Stack now - it's open.
We had lunch at Oklahoma Joe's - I was disappointed because my fries were too salty.  But the smoked turkey was pretty good and I love their spicy sauce.

Oh, I had heard great things about OK Joe's...

... anybody been to RJ's Bob-B-Que in Mission?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Yes, three times in the couple months since we've been in town, most recently yesterday morning. This is one of a couple posts to compose, so more detail anon, but suffice to say, the Sat and Sun morning country breakfast (two of the three visits) is terrific.

BBQ was quite good, not quite great, though more about my context for that judgment in another post. If it takes me longer to get around to posting, and you happen to go for dinner in the meantime, I'll leave you with this advice: Get the corn fritters.

An aside, since I'm previewing future posts, Pangea is well worth a visit as well.

Cheers,

Aaron

Yes, three times in the couple months since we've been in town, most recently yesterday morning. This is one of a couple posts to compose, so more detail anon, but suffice to say, the Sat and Sun morning country breakfast (two of the three visits) is terrific.

BBQ was quite good, not quite great, though more about my context for that judgment in another post. If it takes me longer to get around to posting, and you happen to go for dinner in the meantime, I'll leave you with this advice: Get the corn fritters.

Thanks Aaron! The reason I ask is that recently, a very good friend gave me a gift certificate to RJ's of a rather generous sum. I need to find a way to spend it all... perhaps Thanksgiving this year will be RJ's!! :laugh:

I don't suppose those corn fritters would be any good after a car-ride back up to the Northland???

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account