• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cider

lexy

You see, I wouldn't have even suggested Woodpecker cider. It's the cider of broke misery can't afford a bottle of wine for the roast from my childhood.

And it's very bland and horribly sweet I think :)

On my first trip to GB, with my parents right after High School, I drank a whole bottle of woodpecker  ( its a large bottle ) thinking it was fizzy apple juice.

I couldn't move for the rest of the afternoon, and had one of the worst head aches of my life.

Im not much for warm beer and it was the only thing cold.

• Like 1

The Crispins (I especially like the pint cans) are good.

I wouldn't hesitate to try the Sonoma stuff.

Anything you might find from the Hudson River Valley - usually pretty good. Doc's is pretty available, and I just tried a new one of their ciders that was excellent. 

The commercial stuff from Woodchuck, Stella, Angry Orchard - feh.

Wassail's Cider list might be a good place to look at various ciders; most of what they carry is very good.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

27 minutes ago, rotuts said:

On my first trip to GB, with my parents right after High School, I drank a whole bottle of woodpecker  ( its a large bottle ) thinking it was fizzy apple juice.

I couldn't move for the rest of the afternoon, and had one of the worst head aches of my life.

Im not much for warm beer and it was the only thing cold.

I laughed. I'm so sorry. Ish :)

It isn't THAT strong, and understanding that cider means something different in the US sometimes, an easy mistake to make :)

See if one of the places has Doc's Draft hard cider.  It's made in Warwick NY and according to Johnnybird it is quite dry.  

So sorry about that snow thing here on the first day of spring.....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Rotuts, there's a relatively new local (for us in MA) cider producer in Salem, MA that is making British-style dry hard ciders.

Far From the Tree

Salem Brewers Take a Hard Look at Cider-Boston Globe

I haven't tried them yet but I hear/read good things and hope to get to their tasting room in the near future.

btw, I also prefer the Stella among the off-the-shelf cider I can usually find.

nice ref.   I haven't been up to the north shore in a long while.   It used to be my go-to place.

esp.  the Agawam diner in the topsfield area

in the Salem area I went to Romagnoli's Table  many times which dates me.

I went by TW today for some singles :

56f17f82d651f_CS1.thumb.jpg.66c350fe6680

56f17f8ee7d92_CS2.thumb.jpg.dfd58ba2815f

56f17f9dcbbd7_CS3.thumb.jpg.8ac94603188c

and I picked out 6 for a starter round :

56f17fc3084ab_6cider.thumb.jpg.8326b76ae

the can of crispin is chilling as I type.

those w eagle eyes will note that there is a Magners here that is from Pear.  doubt pear can be dry, but why not look into it.

these are iTouch pics and the thing is too light for me to keep steady.

:(

you see anything here you've tried  Im interested in what you thought about it.

I've had Crispin and Strongbow.  Strongbow is more to my taste.  The Crispin was too dry for me.  It may be just what you are looking for!  I probably have had the Angry Orchard as well, but it fails to stick in my memory as worth going back to.

• Like 1

On to the StrongBow

the first taste is a significant  'crispness'   the sort of thing you first taste in a crisp apple

very nice.  its sweeter that crispin, but that initial crispness is very nice.

if you are looking for a cider that not so dry. the crispness here might be to your lilting.

****  burp ****    hope that's all for today.

Those Angry Orchards are sugar bombs, I believe.

I think I see Samuel Smith's in your picture. Actually pretty decent.

I'm also a big fan of Asturian and Normandian ciders, but they're not for everyone.

Tonight I'm going to pop this one...

25694822930_db841d33db.jpg

25366640613_8610148713.jpg

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

sooo   Not the Daily Guzzler ?

Well, we like to change it up. Wine, cocktails, cider - so nothing really is the daily guzzler. But - for 2 people - this wouldn't be a bad choice!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

today's Cider Review :

[ed.: its a bit early, but the idiot got back from Aldi with neck pain due to some trucks going 20 MPH and no passing.  He so claims ]

Magners Irish Cider   not very dry.  medium apple flavor. neither here nor there for me

Angry Orchard  Stone Dry   not a dry as Crispin    this is the first cider Ive tried that had " chemical off tastes "

I don't know what else to call it.   In wine I call it Benzene.  i.e. flavors that are highly chemical that can't possibly come from grapes .

an astonishingly large number of wines in my price category now have this benzene effect.  it might come from the barrels it might be "chemical oak "

this cider has flavors that belong in bottles under the sink that you use rarely but with heavy duty rubber gloves

rats   i have another bottle from AO to try.

I bought six AO Stone Dry last fall on a recommendation from a relative. I still have 4 left. Not anything I would crave at all. I think I grabbed the second one as much to make room in the basement fridge as to quench my thirst from splitting wood. The next time I smoke pork, will probably be the next time I open one up to mop with.

HC