• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin pastry creams

helenjp

I foolishly asked my sons what pumpkin desserts they wanted. Son1 told me to wait till he'd finished his math, and son2 piped up "choux with a pumpkin cream filling"

:blink: ...a WHAT filling?

I've made vermicelles with pumpkin or sweet potato, but kind of balk at getting pumpkin into a cream or custard filling without ending up like something like unset concrete.

Advice? Tales from the experienced?

Make a pumpkin pie custard or a pumpkin cheesecake custard, cook it on the stove as you would pastry cream (temper the hot mix into the eggs before fully cooking), and pipe it into the baked choux when cooled.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

Or make a pumpkin mousse............ also check out the thread on Pichet Ongs' cream puff recipe, it's auesome. I'm making these for my Halloween sweets table. I've colored the choux paste orange and plan on filling them with pumpkin mousse and decorating them as pumpkins.

I probably will add a squeeze of plain whip cream into the puff also to compliment the pumpkin mousse.

I've been making a pumpkin cream tart at work and it's been selling like made and it's basically what jay recommended...

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Or make a pumpkin mousse............ also check out the thread on Pichet Ongs' cream puff recipe, it's auesome. I'm making these for my Halloween sweets table. I've colored the choux paste orange and plan on filling them with pumpkin mousse and decorating them as pumpkins.

I probably will add a squeeze of plain whip cream into the puff also to compliment the pumpkin mousse.

Pictures please! BTW..I loved that issue of Food & Wine..the peanut sauce from Slanted Door made with jasmine rice is wonderful.

I've just mixed in some softened cream cheese, powdered sugar(or brown) and roasted pumpkin---added some cin/nutmeg/vanilla to taste and poured that into a tart shell... baked until it was set--about 15 minutes @ 350.

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

For a really quick pumpkin pastry cream (especially if you already have pastry cream in the cooler :wink: ), you could just whisk some pumpkin puree and spices into vanilla pastry cream to taste (I'd try 200 g pumpkin to 800 g pastry cream), and maybe lighten with a little whipped cream (200 g per kilo is a nice ratio).

• 3 weeks later...

I found this in October's BHG. It's not a pastry cream base but sounds mighty good and would work as a puff filling. I'm going to try it with my homemade cannoli shells which by the way look exactly like the ones in the picture.

oops, sorry, the link doesn't work. I'll just post the recipe, in my own words.

Pumpkin Pistachio Filling

1/2 an 8oz carton mascarpone cheese

3/4 C powdered sugar

3/4 C canned pumpkin

1/2 C ricotta cheese

1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1/2 C chopped roasted pistachio nuts

1/2 C whipped cream

Mix together mascarpone cheese, sugar, pumpkin, ricotta & spice. Stir in 1/4 C of the nuts. Whip cream & fold into the pumpkin mix. I would probably omit the nuts.

Edited by designerobsessed (log)

If you're using pumpkin puree in a recipe where you want the flavor without the added liquid, cook the pumpkin puree first. For smaller batches, I use a saute pan; for larger batches, I spread the puree on a sheetpan and stir it every 10-15 minutes until enough of the moisture is driven off.

To give you an idea of how much water is in pumpkin puree, I've lost up to two pounds of water after pre-cooking a #10 can (6lb. 10oz.)

If you're using pumpkin puree in a recipe where you want the flavor without the added liquid, cook the pumpkin puree first. For smaller batches, I use a saute pan; for larger batches, I spread the puree on a sheetpan and stir it every 10-15 minutes until enough of the moisture is driven off.

To give you an idea of how much water is in pumpkin puree, I've lost up to two pounds of water after pre-cooking a #10 can (6lb. 10oz.)

Cook's Illustrated also did a pumpkin cheesecake where they pressed the pumpkin between multiple layers of paper towels, to extract water without cooking it any more than it already is and probably will further be. I've tried it myself, and it's pretty amazing how the paper towels remove water and the pumpkin pretty much peels itself off afterward, with very little sticking.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2