• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin Pie!

amccomb

Jack Daniels would be fine -- definitely better than a weak-tasting rum. By the way, I've made Julia's pumpkin pie in The Way to Cook and it's really good. But I recommend two tweakings, even though you say want to follow her recipe closely--you'll keep her same ingredients, this is just a technique flourish:

Thanks! I'll try your suggestions.

just wanted to say thanks to those of you who suggested RBL's pumpkin pie recipe! :biggrin: it was a huge hit and definitely the best pumpkin pie i have ever tasted, even my extremely picky brother complemented me and asked to take a whole pie home!

So, I've always used the recipe on the Libby's canned pumpkin.  It tastes ok, just like every other pumpkin pie.  What I want to do this year, though, is something different.  Nothing TOO different that people are going to freak out about,  but something that's gonna make people say Wow, this is a GREAT pumpkin pie.  So, still fairly traditional, but with a secret something that really makes it stand out.

Any ideas?

I know I am coming very, very late to this thread, and didn't see it til today.

I make the pumpkin pie from James Beard: I think it is in a few of his books, and is called Rich Pumpkin Pie.

It has heavy cream in it, quite a few eggs, cognac, and crystallized or preserved ginger, as well as having cinnamon, cloves, and mace in it.

One of the best pumpkin pies I have ever eaten!!

just wanted to say thanks to those of you who suggested RBL's pumpkin pie recipe! :biggrin:  it was a huge hit and definitely the best pumpkin pie i have ever tasted, even my extremely picky brother complemented me and asked to take a whole pie home!

I'm late to this party but RLB's pumpkin pie is a favorite of mine too. I made it the other night for the second year running and it was a big hit. The technique of whipping the cooked pie filling in the cuisinart makes for a wonderfully light mouthfeel. I also like the ginger snap crumbs pressed into the crust, so much so that I increased them by half this year.

Oh, and I don't bother with her fussy crust instructions. I use Wendy DeBord's all-butter crust.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I did not get to taste it on Thanksgiving because I had no room for dessert after the meal. However, my neighbors and I got together yesterday for a late lunch and I had a piece of thisPumpkin Chiffon Pie made by their daughter-in-law. It was delicious and did not have the density that often turns me off with pumpkin and sweet-potato pies. She used fresh pumpkin instead of canned, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. She made four and the other three were consumed instantly, however this one was stored in one of my refrigerators and was missed when people were transporting things over to their house on Thursday afternoon. Lucky for me!

I have my own recipe for pumpkin chiffon pie but this is better.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My pumpkin pies from Julia Child were delicious. I made a couple of changes from her recipe:

1. I followed Steven Blaski's suggestions in cooking the pumpkin and spices and then processing in food processor.

2. The recipe calls for some cream and some milk, and I used all cream instead, because the only milk I had was nonfat.

The recipe called for starting the pies at 450 for 15 minutes then lowering the temp to 375. According to the recipe, if the crust shows any color then lower it more. Well, the crust and filling were scorched after 15 minutes. I was very disappointed. However, it tasted great.

I always use the pumpkin-pecan pie recipe from a martha stewart magazine a few years ago. Filling is a fairly rich pumpkin custard flavored with bourbon. This year I elected to roast my own squash and ended up with a very tasty kabocha squash relative (AmberCup, I think). In the past, I've also used sweet potatoes. Topping is melted butter, brown sugar, cream, and chopped pecans (I cook it a bit more than the recipe tells you to, to turn it into praline, basically). Just before serving, you put the pies under the broiler and carefully brown the topping. Very tasty.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA