• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barak Cafe in Cambridge

chefzadi

Haven't been...but it's on 1 of my regular bike routes. I'll try to check it out for lunch later this week..for research purposes :biggrin:

I'm not experienced with Algerian foods....the lunch menu looks fairly limited and maybe they'll let me order from the dinner menu? Any ordering advice? I'm a meat eater and also like spicy.

I'll report back.

Looks like the restaurant serves Algerian and Tunisian. Same dishes really with regional differences in spicing.

I don't know what to recommend because I have never been there. I can only suggest telling them what your preferences are.

I'm interested in the report. Good or bad, one restaurant though is not necessarily representative of Algerian cooking.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

i've been there a few times, as have some of my friends. i originally went there with a large group - and i wouldn't do that often. at first they were reluctant to seat us, but upon one of our friends asking if the chef speaks arabic, in arabic, suddenly we were golden and we were seated right away. (the place is tiny - that's why large groups are a problem.) the people there are great - friendly - and the restaurant itself is cozy and comfortable. the food is great, too - i have no idea as to the authenticity, but i don't think it's that far from authentic. it's very much a neighborhood-y type place. i would say more about the food, but honestly i haven't been for a while and all i can remember is that it was great.

in love, as in gluttony, pleasure is a matter of the utmost precision.

(italo calvino)

Thanks...Looking forward to getting there.

Are you familiar with that chicken dish that requires 36 hours notice?

Like my wife said, yes I am familiar with the dish.

I would ask them about the spicing/seasoning. Since the chefs are Algerian and Tunisian my guess would be that they do not make add much sugar like the Moroccan style. We don't like that sort of thing generally speaking.

mimblewim,

I'm glad that you remember it as being fantastic. Other details aren't so neccessary! :smile:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

went last night. Small cozy place, in sort of a residential area near Central Sq..friendly service.

Started with a sausage appetizer, some flatbread, and sort of a rose flavored lemonade..all great.

Then, melkha..stuffed eggplant, lamb shank, and the Bastille Torte..this was made with squab and was served sort of "open faced" with a light dusting of sugar on the phyllo dough..just delicious.

This was a first taste of Algerian food for us and we really enjoyed it..thx to CZ for posting on this place.

Highly recommend it...very different spicing than other cuisines that I'm familiar with.