• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2005 Oklahoma Sugar Art Show

Did anyone attend this year? comments........?

Also I've been looking for photos from this year and haven't seen any posted yet...........anyone have a source they could share with us?

I was there. I've got a bunch of photos, but haven't had a chance to tinker with them and get them online yet. Some really spectacular work in both the wedding cake competition and the in regular show. From all accounts, the wedding cake competition was much stiffer this year than in the past.

There were a bunch of photos posted somewhere, but it was one of these sites where you can purchase prints, and a bit of an issue arose over who was profiting from selling photos of other people's creative work. So those photos came down.

Grand prize in the wedding cake competition went to Bronwyn Weber. Best of Show in the regular competition went to Lori Cossou.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

Please forgive the quality of the photos. I most ran around the floor taking snapshots of things I liked and/or wanted to borrow ideas from. So I don't have everything, and we're not talking archival-quality photos here. But you can at least get an idea of the type of work at the show.

Where I remember it, I've attached a name and result. If anyone can help with details, I'll happily update as they come in.

Bronwen Weber (TX), grand prize

Lori Cossou (OK?), 1st prize

Diane Simmons (MN), 2nd prize

Rebecca Suterby, 3rd prize (I don't remember which cake is hers, but I'm guessing it's one of the anonymous ones below)

Glenda Galvez (TX), 4th prize & honorable mention

B. Keith Ryder (VA), 6th prize

My inspiration piece if anyone cares (white, lacy bridal gowns started to bore me after looking through hundreds of them).

I think I remember that 5th and 7th prizes went to Cheri Elder and Kim Payne, but I don't recall which went to which.

Cheri Elder (MO)

Kim Payne (OK?)

Diane Gibbs (MD), gold certificate

Janette Pfertner (TX), gold certificate

Janette Pohlman (MO), bronze(?) certificate

Michaelle Stidham (MI), gold(?) certificate

Linda Shonk (IN), sponsor, cake for display only

Mark Seaman (IL), gold certificate, gold certificate (I'm pretty sure this was his).

Artist unknown (I want to say Ruth Rickey, but I can't be sure)

Artist unknown

Artist unknown

Artist unknown

Artist unknown

Artist unknown

Artist unknown

Artist unknown

Artist unknown

That's a quick peek anyway. I didn't do a count, but I believe there were around 50 wedding cakes in that part of the show. The traditional show had over 500 entries from what I heard, and some marvelous work there.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

Thanks so much for sharing! Those are some breath-taking cakes! And it was great to see where your inspiration came from. Incredible piece, bkeith!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

The 4th "artist unknown" was mine (black and white flowers, with green/yellow appliques). I had only 5 days to prepare, and didn't think I'd have a decent cake to show, but I'm glad I attended nevertheless. Got a bronze.

Edited by cakesuite (log)

bkeith's was insanely beautiful.  PS, BKeith, I was the one who congratulated you for being a man in a mostly female show!! :wink:

Hi cakesuite, thanks much. I loved your cake too (that's why I have a photo of it).

I just tried to edit my post to add your name to the link to your cake, but for some reason the edit button isn't appearing. Weird. Thanks for identifying it.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith