• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Antipasti

Bagna Cauda means "hot bath", and it is typical of Northern Italy, not just the Venetian area. It is fantastic! Bolito misto is another regional specialty - basically a broth with just about anything including (cock's combs, chicken feet, et.). My favorite is braised cardoons with melted fontina - mmmmmmmm. Piemonte is supposedly famous for their antipasti.

• 2 years later...

I thought a topic like this would already be exist, so I looked for one using Google, and though I found many topics where antipasti is mentioned I did not find one dedicated to antipasti.

I'd like to broad my ideas of antipasti. Typically you have veggies, cured meats, olives, sun dried tomatoes, roasted peppers, stuffed peppers, etc... but what are your favourites, or perhaps something you thought to be quite original?

-- Jason

One that I do that never fails to truly stimulate the appetite is to make little stuffed fried dough fritters. Make a recipe for pizza dough, then cut out circles about 4-5 inches in diameter. Put a dollop of ricotta or mozzarella (or both) and maybe oregano and parsley in the center, fold them over and seal them. Deep fry them until golden on both sides. You better have the next course ready when they're gone!

Also good as part of an antipasti platter are provolone, fresh mozzarella, anchovies, pickled artichokes and pepperoncini. Another great item are roasted cherry peppers stuffed with provolone or mozzarella and proscuitto.

Are you interested mainly in variations of the 'typical' northeast Italian American antipasti platter (which I love) are just any Italian antipasti (which I also love...)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

We usually do a mix of homemade items and other stuff picked up from a local Italian deli. A lot of it has been mentioned upthread but I'll give a typical rundown of what I grew up with-

- Pickled Eggplant, similar to this recipe, but made by my Aunt (keeper of the family secrets). I've been working on her for decades, and one of these days I'll get her to show me exactly how she does it, but until then she keeps us well stocked. The recipe will get you a lot closer than anything you can buy in a store.

- Mussels marinara, white anchovies

- Olives (at least three kinds- gaetta, oil cured, marinated)

- Cheeses- fresh mozzarella, sharp provolone

- Roasted red peppers, marinated mushrooms, asparagus (blanched and marinated in olive oil)

- Soppresata, prosciutto, salami

That's the basics. Sometimes there's more, depending on the season (i.e: garden tomatoes and basil.) We usually lay it all out on the bar and people just start picking on it as they show up.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Steamed asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and dressed with a little vinagrette and shaved parmesan. Run it under the broiler fo a minute to crisp up the prosciutto.

Belgian endive leaves stuffed with a ricotta, parmesan, romano mixture, add some hot pepper if you like.

Just cooked an Italian themed dinner Sat. For antipasti, we made caponata (which tasted much better the next day) and prosciutto wrapped shrimp. For the shrimp, just wrap about part of a slice of prosciutto around the center of each shrimp (preferrably ending the wrap with an end that has fat on it, as this helps it stick). Saute in a bit of oil over med-high heat until the prosciutto is crisped on each side. People love these. Prosciutto smells awful when you're sauteing it, though

Chris Sadler

We usually do a mix of homemade items and other stuff picked up from a local Italian deli. A lot of it has been mentioned upthread but I'll give a typical rundown of what I grew up with-

Thanks for sharing that TongoRad. The eggplant, mussels and white anchovies are great ideas.

I'm trying to remember exactly, but at Italian American restaurants/pizza joints in New England, I think they often serve the platter with an oregano type vinagrette. Usually the oil and vinegar are right on the table. (Also some iceberg lettuce!)

other potential items to add are pickled/marinated mushrooms and capers.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Belgian endive leaves stuffed with a ricotta, parmesan, romano mixture, add some hot pepper if you like.

Sounds nice. Another endive variation is to fill the individual leaves with fresh chopped tomatoes lightly dressed with a good vinagrette, intermingled with slivers of cured anchovies. Then shave some slices of good parmagianno over each leaf.

MMMMMM.... Antipasto..... I love it, I love it, I love it!!!!! :wub:

One of my favorite things for antipasto is to quarter some endive lengthwise and roast them until a little bit colored, remove and cool, dress with some nice fruity olive oil. Um... so good, lightly bitter, pick up a nice nuttiness, so good.

We also do cold custards, kind of like a more solid pudding that is savory. I love to roast shallots, and then simmer them in some heavy cream, finishing by buerre mixing them, and straining them through a chinoise. Then I make a custard base out of them (good rule=10 eggs to 1 qt. heavy cream), whether it is for minature fritata type things for my anti's, or for just little timbale molds. Bake, chill, cut and serve, so good.

I also like to do nice bread and EVOO on an antipasto, it always seems like you need some crunch. Rhode Islanders always complain if there is no salad on their antipasto too....

Such a good thread :raz:

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I'm open to all Italian anti-pasti, and even ones influenced by neighbouring contries.

What about tapas and mezze, then?

Surely, they're worthy of a different thread? (I also suspect there are some good tapas threads out there to add on to).

one of my favorites is mozzarella (buffalo is best, but ordinary will do), sliced and laid out in a single layer on a plate, and then spread with a thick layer of good creme fraiche. Grate some lemon zest over it, and drizzle with a couple of drops of very good olive oil.

You can't make this in advance because it will go watery, but it's quick to make. Very good with some crusty bread alongside more robust flavors of cured meats, salty olives etc.

Another favorite: strips of grilled red pepper, dried tomatoes (reconstituted) and anchovy fillets, garnished with shredded basil.

• 9 months later...

My sister and I are trying to recreate my grandmother's long missed NY style Italian christmas dinners. It has been eons. Anyway, I am brainstorming on what to put on the antipasti platter other than meat, cheese, roasted peppers, olives. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

-----------------

AMUSE ME

There are many exceptionally good ideas right here!

Fishy things, such as sardines or tuna in oil; anchovies - either salted or in oil and fish roe, are all wonderful things to have on hand. .

Cured meats Coppa, Mortadella, Prosciutto or Salami (countless varieties).

Olives, capers, gherkins and giardiniera (mixed preserved vegetables) all play their part in the changing feast that can be good antipasto .

No Italian meal is complete without bread. With antipasto, grissini (the crisp, dry bread sticks which are very fine (finger thin) are delicious.

Does anyone do a bagna cauda on their antipasto?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

When we do a big antipasti, we have (in addition to the things already mentioned)

A couple of different fritatta, cut into small wedges

Roasted onions

Arancini

Crostini with various toppings

Marinated mozzarella

Shrimp poached with garlic, lemon, and olive oil

Marinated artichokes

Eggplant rounds, breaded and topped with mozzarella and tomato slices

Sometimes white anchovies

And we line all the serving plates with arugula, so people can get their salad fix.

Hope this helps.

My sister and I are trying to recreate my grandmother's long missed NY style Italian christmas dinners. It has been eons. Anyway, I am brainstorming on what to put on the antipasti platter other than meat, cheese, roasted peppers, olives. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Meat, cheese and olives are pretty big categories on their own. I like a variety of each, myself, especially very sharp cheese and lots and lots of olives.

Some other ideas:

Caponata

Marinated Mushrooms

Seafood salad (scungilli, calamari, shrimp, celery, olive oil, garlic, lemon and parsley)

Pickled Eggplant

We're pretty informal about it all- it's all just lined up on the bar along with bottles of wine and people help themselves as the mood strikes. I do like liamsaunt's arugula idea- I'll have to lobby for that on my own end.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be wonderful. Merry Christmas!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

When I used to entertain more than two (!) I loved making big platters brimming with all kinds of tasty, tangy jewels. I included cherry peppers stuffed with fresh mozzarella, sprinkled with breadcrumbs and ran under the broiler a few minutes until golden brown.

You could add other things to the filling but I never did.

Also, you could make a filling of ricotta, horseradish (don't know if that's authentic) and chives, smear it on a slice of mortadella, add a layer of sliced gherkins, top with another slice of mortadella and repeat so that you have three layers of the meat. Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate until firm, unwrap and cut into triangles.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

• 9 months later...

I am having a big pizza party this weekend and want to make some nice Antipasti for my guests to nibble on while we prepare the pizzas. I only have one oven so of necessity can only do one pizza at a time.

So this is a call for ideas for some nice antipasti recipes that I'll prepare ahead of time. I'd prefer authentic Italian dishes but any modern takes on traditional dishes would also be welcome.

Arancini...mmmmm

i know they are not technically antipasti, but they can be made in a smaller size, and you can use practically all of the suggestions people made in this thread as fillers. i make them a little smaller than golf ball sized and they are truly an amazing treat