• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food and Mood

inny

I ran across this in The Sunday Times Online (UK) and thought we could chew on this until the next juicy bit of gossip rolled around.

Choice of food can reveal your mood

YOU really are what you eat. Psychologists have found that personality and mood can be betrayed by the choice of food on a person’s plate.

[...]

The study, which uses data from the case notes of more than 500 people, is thought to be the first to detail what foods are linked with what states of mind. The results suggest restaurateurs — and diners — may subtly be able to alter mood by changing what is eaten.

Here's the meat;

FOOD MOODS - What your food says about how you feel

Angry Meat

Sad Sugary food, caffeine

In need of comfort Custard, ice cream

Lonely Rice, pasta

Stressed or ambitious Crisps, soy sauce, onions

Sexually frustrated Biscuits, bread

Jealous Pile the plate with anything

As a research psychologist, I have a few major quibbles with the methodology used in this study. But newspaper accounts of science are notorious for describing experiments badly, so I'll hold my quibbles until I can read the study.

What do you guys think? Does it fit with your personal and/or professional experience? How are you feeling today?

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

Here's the meat;
FOOD MOODS - What your food says about how you feel

Angry Meat

Sad Sugary food, caffeine

In need of comfort Custard, ice cream

Lonely Rice, pasta

Stressed or ambitious Crisps, soy sauce, onions

Sexually frustrated Biscuits, bread

Jealous Pile the plate with anything

At first, I thought, "Is it kosher to backform a study out of case notes when you didn't know you were going to do the study later and weren't really collecting data for it?" But leaving behind my bothersome critical and cynical mind, this list makes me wonder just what in the hell was going on with me a couple weeks ago when I braised sirloin tips low and slow with onions, mushrooms, and garlic for five hours, and had them over buttered egg noodles with a a hunk of baguette, followed by coffee (with half-and-half and raw [!] sugar) and a slice of bourbon cane syrup pecan pie topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Jumpin' Jiminy Cricket.

Mike Harney

"If you're afraid of your food, you're probably not digesting it right because your stomach is all crunched up in fear. So you'll end up not being well."

- Julia Child

"There's no reason to say I'm narrow-minded. Just do it my way and you will have no problem at all."

- KSC Pad Leader Guenter Wendt

I really enjoyed the article! Thanks for posting it here ...

Power compared what her patients ate with their mood and personality. She found that people going through crises, such as divorce, favoured soft, sweet products such as custard and ice cream because they were “seeking comfort levels with foods they once found in childhood”.
I don't actually require the crisis because anything is a proper reason to eat these foods for me ... putting on my shoes, reading a newspaper .. you name it .. :wink:
Those who were sexually frustrated enjoyed foods high in carbohydrates, particularly crackers, pretzels and bread,
I like to eat these hard crunchy foods in bed to announce "not having a good time here, ya know??" :angry:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

At first, I thought, "Is it kosher to backform a study out of case notes when you didn't know you were going to do the study later and weren't really collecting data for it?"

This is actually done quite a bit, particularly in the clinical/therapy fields. The key is that case notes should be the beginning for more rigorous experiments, not the end-all from which to draw conclusions. The article does note that the conclusions about food and mood are part of a larger study on addiction, so who knows. I'll cut the researchers some slack - I've even had textbook authors misinterpret my research, so I don't expect a newspaper to do better.

But leaving behind my bothersome critical and cynical mind, this list makes me wonder just what in the hell was going on with me a couple weeks ago when I braised sirloin tips low and slow with onions, mushrooms, and garlic for five hours, and had them over buttered egg noodles with a a hunk of baguette, followed by coffee (with half-and-half and raw [!] sugar) and a slice of bourbon cane syrup pecan pie topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Jumpin' Jiminy Cricket.

PMS?

Those who were sexually frustrated enjoyed foods high in carbohydrates, particularly crackers, pretzels and bread,
I like to eat these hard crunchy foods in bed to announce "not having a good time here, ya know??" :angry:

:biggrin: That's when I break out the seduction food, but that's another thread...

GG - glad you enjoyed it. Food and psychology don't cross paths often enough.

ETA:

Hungover Nachos

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by inny (log)

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

I ran across this in The Sunday Times Online (UK) and thought we could chew on this until the next juicy bit of gossip rolled around.
Choice of food can reveal your mood

YOU really are what you eat. Psychologists have found that personality and mood can be betrayed by the choice of food on a person’s plate.

[...]

The study, which uses data from the case notes of more than 500 people, is thought to be the first to detail what foods are linked with what states of mind. The results suggest restaurateurs — and diners — may subtly be able to alter mood by changing what is eaten.

I don't see how one can use this to even suggest a conclusion that one may be able to change mood by changing what is eaten. Even if what one eats does reflect one's mood, it certainly does not necessarily follow that what one eats effects one's mood. It may, but one cannot draw that conclusion from this.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

In practical terms (which to me means "what I see before my own eyes" :wink: ) yes, I would agree that certain foods are desired when people are in certain moods.

It's also a contention of mine (again, based on my own peculiar brand of reality :smile: ) that certain personality "types" crave certain types of foods over others, and that given a choice of how to build their own daily diets, they do so along predictable lines in terms of food choices.

But I agree with docsconz also. I don't think that an imposition of a certain diet based on certain types of foods will alter a person's basic personality type or the moods that emit from them. It *might* do so, if the "diet" were to be assumed by the person by personal choice - but then of course that personal choice of decision that was involved would be the impetus for the desired change - not the food itself, which would or could be a "carrier" then of the intent.

Basically, though, foods are composed of chemicals that do influence our bodily systems, and medicines (or is the right word to use today "pharmaceuticals"? :rolleyes: ) are derived from the same things that we use for food - so the connection is not that far-fetched, at all.

Right now I am not hungry at all.

Wonder what that means. :laugh:

At first, I thought, "Is it kosher to backform a study out of case notes when you didn't know you were going to do the study later and weren't really collecting data for it?"

This is actually done quite a bit, particularly in the clinical/therapy fields. The key is that case notes should be the beginning for more rigorous experiments, not the end-all from which to draw conclusions. The article does note that the conclusions about food and mood are part of a larger study on addiction, so who knows.

Ah, I didn't know that was true. In this case, when I read "Her findings will be included in a study of addiction to be published later this month," I took that to mean her findings are the study since no other research or authors are mentioned in the article. I'd be less uncertain if it actually said "larger study."

PMS?

If true, that would be a neat trick on my part. I'd like to take this opportunity to opt out of any study.

Mike Harney

"If you're afraid of your food, you're probably not digesting it right because your stomach is all crunched up in fear. So you'll end up not being well."

- Julia Child

"There's no reason to say I'm narrow-minded. Just do it my way and you will have no problem at all."

[...]

I don't see how one can use this to even suggest a conclusion that one may be able to change mood by changing what is eaten. Even if what one eats does reflect one's mood, it certainly does not necessarily follow that what one eats effects one's mood. It may, but one cannot draw that conclusion from this.

Absolutely - this was one of my 'major quibbles'. From what I can tell from the limited info in the article, they have correlational data, at best. If you can measure 2 things, you can calculate a correlation between them. No causality can be implied. The math simply does not allow for causality. The claim that 'mood reflects food' may be spruious on correlational grounds, to claim that 'food may alter mood' is outta left field.

But, I'll still give the researchers some slack. This issue may be a function of a newspaper reporter using a common vernacular that a scientist would never use.

End of statistics lesson :smile:

Anna

------

PMS?

If true, that would be a neat trick on my part. I'd like to take this opportunity to opt out of any study.

Damn. I was already designing an experiment and hatching a plot :wink:

Anna

------

Damn. I was already designing an experiment and hatching a plot  :wink:

Sorry to foil your nefarious plans -- please accept this link to another ongoing study as a meager consolation prize. Fascinating if you haven't seen it already, and it sometimes even involves food.

Mike Harney

- Julia Child

Eh. Here's more on the subject - not anywhere near as amusing as the story you linked to , inny, but we may as well add to the pile of information and lists of reports, no? :biggrin::cool:

(What I would like to see is a study of how it is all media outlets seem to start talking about the same exact thing -that is not tied to any formal external event - in such a very close time frame. It seems to happen so often!)

Clickey: Food and Mood

Unless! It could be the reason these stories are coming out now, of course, is that everyone is thinking of preparing each other emotionally for the holiday season. :wink:

And it *would* no doubt be good for conversation round the dinner table where the family was gathered:

"Two servings of potatoes? Now I KNOW you've been living alone too long!! When are you going to get married?!"

"Shhh. Look at Marie. That big bowl of ice-cream. Must be depressed over the extra weight she's put on."

"That's the second turkey leg Phil has eaten down to the bone. I KNEW he was cheating on Alexa!!! There's the proof!!!!"

Meow.

Eh. Here's more on the subject - not anywhere near as amusing as the story you linked to , inny, but we may as well add to the pile of information and lists of reports, no? :biggrin:  :cool:

(What I would like to see is a study of how it is all media outlets seem to start talking about the same exact thing -that is not tied to any formal external event - in such a very close time frame. It seems to happen so often!)

Unless! It could be the reason these stories are coming out now, of course, is that everyone is thinking of preparing each other emotionally for the holiday season. :wink: 

And it *would* no doubt be good for conversation round the dinner table where the family was gathered:

"Two servings of potatoes? Now I KNOW you've been living alone too long!! When are you going to get married?!"

"Shhh. Look at Marie. That big bowl of ice-cream. Must be depressed over the extra weight she's put on."

"That's the second turkey leg Phil has eaten down to the bone. I KNEW he was cheating on Alexa!!! There's the proof!!!!"

Meow.

There may be something to this yet! :laugh:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

On a more serious note (for one split second) these ideas have reference both to the concepts of "humours" that each person was said have as their basic constitution of personality and "self" in the Middle Ages (can't remember the exact dates nor the exact humours, though I *was* actually there at the time) and also to Avurvedic philosophy and thoughts on how each person with their varying personality types "should" eat to maintain ultimate balance.

And I see my two children each day - two vastly different personality types - with two vastly differing urges for types of foods - and two vastly different physical/emotional responses to foods that they do eat.

Interesting subject, inny. :smile:

Eh. Here's more on the subject - not anywhere near as amusing as the story you linked to , inny, but we may as well add to the pile of information and lists of reports, no? :biggrin:  :cool:

Meow.

Great link. I think this synopsis really lays out the state of the science as I understand it (it's not my field at all). The effects of nutrients on the brain are so difficult to measure, and mood is equally as difficult - but for very different reasons. I could design the perfect experiment, but it would involve things similar to A Clockwork Orange, so I don't think I'd get many volunteers :wink:

The family Thanksgiving conversation...? Hilarious! And familiar. I don't remember you being at the table last year. :unsure:

I wonder what it says about my mood when, after writing for 10 straight hours today (after writing 14 hours yesterday), all I wanted to do was make lamb kabobs over rice, eat both with my bare hands, then drive the skewers through my brain...

Anna

------

:laugh: Sounds like the next step is to start up the wild drum music and build a bonfire started with broken pencils topped with 24 hours worth of papers. Roast a marshmallow or two. :rolleyes:

Hmm. They say warm milk is calming, but I never could stand that idea.

My prescription would be a glass of fine old Burgundy for you, inny.

And I bet, from the little I know of docsconz, that he would agree. :wink:

:laugh: Sounds like the next step is to start up the wild drum music and build a bonfire started with broken pencils topped with 24 hours worth of papers. Roast a marshmallow or two. :rolleyes: 

Hmm. They say warm milk is calming, but I never could stand that idea.

My prescription would be a glass of fine old Burgundy for you, inny.

And I bet, from the little I know of docsconz, that he would agree. :wink:

That's never a bad prescription! :laugh:

Twitter - @docsconz

I took your advice...

I started the bonfire (which sucks when it's 90 degrees outside), danced around the apartment (to the Clash), and drank a nice bottle of wine, then took the damn day off and read the Les Halles cookbook cover to cover.

I'm in a much better mood, and I knocked out an entire chapter in a single day. Life is good. Thank you both.

Carrot Top noted;

And I see my two children each day - two vastly different personality types - with two vastly differing urges for types of foods - and two vastly different physical/emotional responses to foods that they do eat.

If not too personal, could you elaborate on this? I'm looking for anecdotal examples for the damn book, and I'm starting to think I want to bring this issue into it. This would be useful, if you care to share.

I could make something up, but that might take too much thinking on my part. And more wine :wink:

Anna

------

:biggrin: Sounds like an absolutely perfect day, inny. :wink:

I'll try to answer your question *briefly* which will be quite difficult. For you just actually asked a mother to talk about her children, you know. I'll probably just have to spend the rest of the day talking to *myself* about everything to do with them that won't fit on the screen here. (So what else is new :blink: ).

Two kids, two different natural attractions to sorts of food, two different responses to food.

Kristen is 13 now, barely. She is tall, taller than me, and built in a way that when I remember reading a book on childhood development was described (and this definition within the book included the note that these children who were physically built "like this" were prone to personalities that were "like this") her as "exo-something". A worrier. A thinker. She was born with a little wrinkle of concern in the area between her eyebrows. Always simmering with energy, but an internal energy. Analytic, watches things and people closely. Incredible drive to succeed. Strong willed. Wants to be "on the go" all the time.

She is naturally attracted to foods that are calming, soft - foods that might tend to instantly slow one down, in my opinion. Her three favorite foods are huge bowls of macaroni and cheese, huge bowls of baked beans and huge bowls of spagetti with meatsauce. When she eats these things, she just plain calms down and seems to be content as if a cat while purring. :smile:

Drew (my son) is 11 and a half. He is the one boy in every teachers classroom who gets the comment written on his report card : "It was a PLEASURE having Drew this year. He is kind and helpful." (No, no, I am not making this up. :biggrin: ) Drew is calm, quiet, sweet. He doesn't worry about a thing. On the flip side of this, he can be entirely forgetful of usual sorts of things - I have to buy three coats rather than one each year for he leaves them everywhere. He daydreams and smiles. He is also intelligent, but in a level way, not a searching way. He would happily putter around the house all day doing this and that and not worrying about - well, anything!

He is naturally attracted to foods that have some sort of intensity - something with heightened flavor. Salty crunchy things like french fries or fried chicken. Sweet things like soda, sweet drinks or fresh fruit. Spicy things that include hot peppers as a component. He detests the foods that Kristen likes and won't eat them. When he does, he can get sick to his stomach. Literally.

Two things sort of stand in the way of taking this "too" seriously, to my mind - as a useable or clear-cut idea (the food and mood thing with these children).

The first is that mothers write myths about their children - we watch and fuss and think and design them in our minds even as they are designing themselves. :wink:

The other is the effect of sibling rivalry. The tensions between two siblings close in age does come out in ways that show them each choosing paths for the sole purpose of NOT being like their beloved/detested brother or sister. :cool:

But it *is* fun, and I do think that regardless of the extraneous effects, that there is something to the whole idea of food and mood.

Sigh. Do I have to stop talking about my kids now? Oh well. :smile:

I don't know if someone has added this already, but Ayurvedic concepts

divide food into three classes: Just a few details of the myriad out there:

Tamasic (promoting sloth and pessimism and other negative qualities). Examples include processed, canned, cold, stale, most non-vegetarian food, and food

of opposing qualities taken together.

Rajasic (promoting action and anger and other active, competitive, qualities). These foods are hot, salty, spicy, dry etc. Fodo that is fried and highly spiced is rajasic. They are said to increase the speed of the human organism. In excess, they create sorrow, pain, exhaustion, etc. Foods cooked in butter and ghee

are rajasic, but cooked in oil become tamasic. Garlic is rajasic because of its

medicinal qualities.

Saatvic (promoting calm and thoughtfulness and other contemplative qualities).

These foods are fresh, light, sweet, tasty, (intrinsically, not the result of

spicing) etc. Mostly fresh fruits and vegetables and dairy products and

coarse grain. Though most root veggies are tamasic, carrots, beets, turnips and sweet potatoes are considered satvic.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/48/story_4805_1.html

Milagai