• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where ELSE for Stone Crabs in Miami?

Turtleboy

A little North of Miami but Billy's in Hollywood has been around a while.

Delaware Chicken Farm in Hollywood also sells them. (to-go only, it's a seafood/poultry market)

http://www.stone-crabs.com

Besides the obvious (Joe's, Monty's), where else can I get Stone Crabs in Miami?

Specifically where can I get them to take home?  Will Publix sell them?

Edited by richw (log)

South Florida

Yep. And I highly reccomend it as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Besides the obvious (Joe's, Monty's), where else can I get Stone Crabs in Miami?

Specifically where can I get them to take home?  Will Publix sell them?

Publix sometimes has them, here in the Daytona Beach area, but not on a regular basis. They were good when I did find them at one of our Publix last year.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I bought them yesterday at Norman Brothers on SW 87th Avenue.

They were about $14/lb for the medium, $19/lb for the large, and $30/lb for the jumbo (note, my memory is faulty and this may not be accurate).

I bought a lb of the medium and a lb of the large, along with their homemade mustard sauce.

They cracked them for me there (I knew that I would be eating the immediately).

The larges were pretty good, but the mediums were a bit small and mealy.

As for the Mustard Sauce? Eh. Next time I'll make my own.

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A FANTASTIC place for any seafood - great, fresh, and affordable - is Captain Jim's in North Miami. It's on W Dixie Hwy around NE 130th something (on the West side). They do wholesale but also have a small restaurant (and a recently-opened sushi bar). You can also buy fresh fish to take home and cook.

This is the only place I've found in Miami where they will gladly sell me just one stone crab claw if that's all I want as an appetizer. The stone crabs are just as fresh and delicious as the ones I've had at Joe's and various other places on the beach and in the keys. AND they're less expensive - still up there, but I think it's around $19 a pound for large claws. You can buy them from the market to take home or enjoy them in the restaurant.

"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef

Hi, Adrienne. Welcome to eGullet and the Florida Forum. I'm looking forward to more contributions from you.

This is the only place I've found in Miami where they will gladly sell me just one stone crab claw if that's all I want as an appetizer.

I really like that about a place. Everywhere I go in this area does give me a small order such as that when I ask for it, but it's great when they gladly do it.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Yep. And I highly reccomend it as well.

Thank you both !!!

I'm in Miami Beach for the week, and although I know that Jason has written about Billy's before, I had never gone until tonight.

It was great. The stone crabs were impeccably fresh, and succulent (I've had plenty down here on past vacations that were lousy), and we'll probably go back again.

This, Billy's Stone Crab, on the Intercoastal Waterway in Hollywood, is a great place !!!!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's