• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuban Pete's

jim07044

Don't know who to believe.

It is upsetting to think that he might have been selling de-alcoholized wine as regular stuff. If I'm buying sangria I want it to be sangria. However I haven't been there recently and I dont know if he was advertising it as being alcohol free.

It is upsetting to think that he might have been selling de-alcoholized wine as regular stuff.

did you read that somewhere? i didn't. not sure if that's a fair statement.

although, yes, that would be horrible. almost as bad as selling an "alcohol-free" drink that actually had alcohol. quite frankly that's dangerous for some people.

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy -- Well the article says that he was taking the wine and cooking off the alcohol which would dealcoholize the wine. That's okay if he is telling people the sangria is alcohol free but it is not so good if he not telling people that.

it's not good either way, because the stuff is going to have alcohol in it even after boiling, which is dangerous for some people. although those folks shouldn't be trusting the word of a restaurant anyway.

i've never been, but i assume when he stopped serving non-boiled wine that he noted somewhere that the sangria would now be alcohol-free.

i still wonder why anyone would drink that though! and i wonder even more why you wouldn't just bring your own wine and mix it with some unholy combination of sugar and fruit, as suggested upthread by rooftop.

Edited by tommy (log)

There is more here on Baristanet, from the owner himself.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

When I put that link up, the only thing on the page was the 'letter' from the owner. Since then, the usual Baristanet posting tone has taken over. Let's just say it's not the kindest place when that crew gets started.

My only reason for posting it here was so that folks could see the owner's comments.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I was there Wed night and it was hoppin'. The "sangria" was no more than a fruit drink. Do yourself a favor and bring you own or a bottle of vino.

I ate exclusively off the tapas menu. Empenadas were so-so but the rest of the food was great. Highlight was the stuffed dates wrapped in bacon and the Cuban "sang-wich." Not as good as La Isla but it is an excellent recreation of a classic.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Rich does he still have all the different flavors??

I went there thinking that sangria was pretty gross...bad red wine over sweetened with apple slices in it...CPs tasted good and I dont really care either way about the booze.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Interestingly enough my in laws went there last night for dinner with another couple. My MIL told me that the other couple called in advance to see if they could BYOB. She said that the person they spoke to told them they could bring, but that the restaurant had sangria which was advertised as being wonderful. So they decided to not bring any wine.

They ordered a pitcher of sangria and my MIL said what they got was basically punch. She said they sent it back and then the men went out and found a liquor store where they got some wine.

She said they were not told that the sangria was made without alcohol but you tell it was once you were served it.

Rich does he still have all the different flavors??

I went there thinking that sangria was pretty gross...bad red wine over sweetened with apple slices in it...CPs tasted good and I dont really care either way about the booze.

tracey

Yup they have all those kooky flavors on the menu. It's basically a large pitcher of fruit punch for $15. Come on!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

• 1 year later...

This thread from a few years back talked about this restaurant's drink situation. I only read the first page and wish I had finished the entire thread. I didn't realize they had lost their license.

Just a reminder that its a BYOB place. The $15 pitcher of sweet punch with .5% alcohol is not worth ordering, a mistake we won't repeat if we go back. There is a full liquor store across the street which thankfully was open until 8. Its a shame my son-in-law had to run out in the arctic cold and wind to pick up some wine.

The food was good; the service was fair, and the music was fun but way too loud. I'd go back, but in nicer weather.

Rhys

They used to have a restricted Nj wine license...which they lost by using th ewine to make Sangria...the bottles must be served to the table as they come from the winery

tracey

they made some damn good sangria back then

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association