• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BC Red Blends Step Up

jamiemaw

I received this press release from the BCWI this evening, which I have edited for length:

A few observations first though: It doesn't mention which bottles placed 11th through 18th; no bottle broke through 90 points; no prices are mentioned. But still, it's an interesting read. I'll be interested to see Stephen's and others' remarks about its veracity.

CedarCreek takes first place overall at head-to-head competition

BC’s Bordeaux-style red blends are continuing their march to the top of the red wine world.

A tasting today in Ottawa pitted six of BC’s red blends against six from the Bordeaux region of France and six from Ontario. BC wines took three of the top four and five of the top ten spots, with CedarCreek’s Platinum Reserve Meritage 2002 coming out on top. CedarCreek Estate Winery is in Kelowna.

The five other BC wines finished as follows: Burrowing Owl 2002 Reserve Meritage was third, Sumac Ridge 2001 Pinnacle fourth, Osoyoos Larose 2002 ninth, Mission Hill Oculus 2002 tenth, and Fairview Cellars Bear’s Meritage 2002 seventeenth.

Today’s tasting, called Canada vs. Bordeaux: The Dawn of a New Millennium, was a fundraiser organized by the Vendange Institute in Ottawa. The event was modeled after the famed 1976 Judgement of Paris, when an English wine merchant in Paris organized a blind tasting of French and Californian wines in celebration of the US bicentennial. To the surprise of the mostly French judges, California wines took top honours over the prestigious French wines.

Following are the top ten results from today’s challenge, including their ranking in the 100-point system.

1. 89.32 Cedar Creek 2002 Platinum Reserve Meritage (BC)

2. 87.88 Colio 2000 CEV Reserve Merlot (Ontario)

3. 87.39 Burrowing Owl 2002 Reserve Meritage (BC)

4. 87.30 Sumac Ridge 2001 Pinnacle (BC)

5. 86.70 Chateau Lascombes 2000 (Bordeaux)

6. 86.37 Chateau Pontet-Canet 2001 (Bordeaux)

7. 86.31 Stoney Ridge 1998 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve (Ontario)

8. 85.72 Chateau Rauzan-Gassies 2000 (Bordeaux)

9. 85.68 Osoyoos Larose 02 (BC)

10. 84.83 Mission Hill Oculus 02 (BC)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Interesting.

While I don't know the entry requirements and red tape side of things, and having tasted a zillion BC wines over the last little while, I'm surprised that the Black Hills Nota Bene wasn't in there, as while it's released quite early (like many of our local juice), I findd it to drink well and have a great mix of structure and fruit. I'm curious as to if the Laughing Stock Portfolio was in the running; if this is their beginning I'm quite looking forward to enjoying their journey.

Hmmph!

k.

Interesting.

While I don't know the entry requirements and red tape side of things, and having tasted a zillion BC wines over the last little while, I'm surprised that the Black Hills Nota Bene wasn't in there, as while it's released quite early (like many of our local juice), I findd it to drink well and have a great mix of structure and fruit.  I'm curious as to if the Laughing Stock Portfolio was in the running; if this is their beginning I'm quite looking forward to enjoying their journey.

Hmmph!

k.

That was alittle frustrating about the press release, Kurtis--they didn't mention the selection process nor the also-rans. Could well be that the Canadian vintners were VQA only. Anyway, interesting to see how these ten stacked up . . .

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

We did a local Pinto Noir tasting at Thanksgiving with the roast beast, and the Cedar Creek 2001 was stunning-it had an intense ruby colour, and was really well-balanced. If they can do this with the heart break grape, I'm not surprised they came out on top.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I would like to know where Poplar Grove Reserve would place if entered. Ian and Gitta are producing some of the best wine in all of BC (IMHO). Their Reserve is amazing. Just picked up a half case of the 2002.

Derek

....Today’s tasting, called Canada vs. Bordeaux: The Dawn of a New Millennium, was a fundraiser organized by the Vendange Institute in Ottawa. The event was modeled after the famed 1976 Judgement of Paris, when an English wine merchant in Paris organized a blind tasting of French and Californian wines in celebration of the US bicentennial. To the surprise of the mostly French judges, California wines took top honours over the prestigious French wines.....

Thanks for the post. For those interested the original wines tasted in the 1976 competition were (reds): 1972 Clos du Val; 1969 Freemark Abbey; 1970 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard; 1971 Mayacamas; 1971 Ridge Monte Bello; 1973 Stag’s Leap; 1970 Château Mouton Rothschild; 1970 Château Haut-Brion; 1970 Château Montrose and 1971 Château Léoville-Las-Cases. Turns out Stag's Leap beat out Mouton by a nose in the red category and the rest is history. For those who think that vines need to be old to produce good grapes, note the 1973 Stag's Leap was Warren Winiarski's (the winemaker) first vintage produced with grapes from vines a mere three years old. I wonder why the Vendange Institute chose the Bordeaux's they did instead of picking the top houses to see how they compared? This might have trully flushed out the bullsh$t. Seems like they chose many of the "best" BC reds but why not the same for the Bordeaux. It would have been nice to know how the Cedar Creek at $40 might have faired against Mouton....I suspect likely rather well.....but then again who knows - which is the point. In any event, I am more likely to buy the Wynn's Cab from Australia at $19.95 before the $40-50 a bottle for some of the BC wines or $50-70 a bottle for some of the Brodeaux's. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by mkjr (log)

officially left egullet....

• 7 months later...
....Today’s tasting, called Canada vs. Bordeaux: The Dawn of a New Millennium, was a fundraiser organized by the Vendange Institute in Ottawa. The event was modeled after the famed 1976 Judgement of Paris, when an English wine merchant in Paris organized a blind tasting of French and Californian wines in celebration of the US bicentennial. To the surprise of the mostly French judges, California wines took top honours over the prestigious French wines.....

Thanks for the post. For those interested the original wines tasted in the 1976 competition were (reds): 1972 Clos du Val; 1969 Freemark Abbey; 1970 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard; 1971 Mayacamas; 1971 Ridge Monte Bello; 1973 Stag’s Leap; 1970 Château Mouton Rothschild; 1970 Château Haut-Brion; 1970 Château Montrose and 1971 Château Léoville-Las-Cases. Turns out Stag's Leap beat out Mouton by a nose in the red category and the rest is history. For those who think that vines need to be old to produce good grapes, note the 1973 Stag's Leap was Warren Winiarski's (the winemaker) first vintage produced with grapes from vines a mere three years old. I wonder why the Vendange Institute chose the Bordeaux's they did instead of picking the top houses to see how they compared? This might have trully flushed out the bullsh$t. Seems like they chose many of the "best" BC reds but why not the same for the Bordeaux. It would have been nice to know how the Cedar Creek at $40 might have faired against Mouton....I suspect likely rather well.....but then again who knows - which is the point. In any event, I am more likely to buy the Wynn's Cab from Australia at $19.95 before the $40-50 a bottle for some of the BC wines or $50-70 a bottle for some of the Brodeaux's. Just my 2 cents.

On a follow up to my previous post, after 30 years it appears as though California is still on top in the original battle. This time it looks like Monte Bello is king. Hmmm....wonder if the same may happy with Canadian Reds 30 years from now?

http://www.copia.org/content/files/Results...0WINES%20v2.pdf

officially left egullet....

In my pairing tonight I included a 97 Iniskillin Meritage which I found to be more merlot driven - lighter in style but so much more interesting on the finish - I always think of the origional meritages which are Opus One and Joseph Phelp's Insignia - those wines are so fruit foward, imposing and big to start with but with paltry finish - when I taste a quality wine from Bourdeaux - such as the '82 Margaux of which I decanted six bottles in the spring ala butler in Whistler, I understand that the French see wine as a recipe - the same as their food - Americans want bigness - in their food, their trucks and their wine.

I felt that the Iniskillin tonight was about balance - who cares if I what I paired with the first two courses was Black Hills Alibi and then Kettle Valley Adra Station Chardonnay - this meritage stood it's ground with the albacore / fava bean main and the lamb / cassoulet - you don't have to be big to be good.

......and I'm always one to promote great BC wines - I love our whites but am always dissapointed with our reds - save 10 to 15 of them - tonight I cracked a bottle of Calliope Cab 02 and revelled in the luscious fruit bomb it is - one of my guests from New York commented on the "dill" in it - I got excited and asked if she figured any eucalyptus - she said no but we can always hope.

I think when you're looking recent vintages of BC vs Bordeaux, with respect to immediate drinkability, the BC blends stack up nicely against their competitors. The problem - the BC wines don't stand up to cellaring. I"ve tried with a few of these blends and the most I squeeze out of them is 5-7 years before an obvious decline emerges. Meanwhile, the Bordeaux is still a baby in the cellar and the BC wine becomes salad dressing.